Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/22/14 at 16:52:09

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Isolation Transformers, Power Regenerators, etc. (Read 6600 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: Isolation Transformers, Power Regenerators, etc.
Reply #30 - 05/08/11 at 22:19:18

Good info Raduschka and Lon. I am looking at one of these two TrippLites in concert with, or to compare with, my Transcendent Balanced Power Supply. Anyone know what real difference is between standard and hospital-grade TrippLites?

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-IS1000HG-Isolation-Transformer/dp/B00008YMZO/re...

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-IS1000-Isolation-Transformer/dp/B00006HPFI/ref=...

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 05/08/11 at 22:40:30

I opted for the cheaper one,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006HPFH

after some research that convinced me that in theory there is no improvement in the sound from using hospital grade connectors. I have no direct experience, so I cannot give you my hands-on opinion on that, except to say that I have read discussions among audiophiles (that must be what we are) and some seemed to say that aside from the better physical contact, with all its advantages, there is little or no improvement soundwise. It would also make sense. Steve does recommend the hospital grade iso transformer in one of his papers though.
He reassured me per email that the current draw of my Mini Torii and cd player would not exceed its output in terms of amperage (the wattage is 250, with the Mini t consuming 75 at max output)
I totally dislike the sound when I plug my system into the tripp lite alone. It is undetailed and recessed, no sparkle, no passion.

I plug both cd player and Minitorii into a 400$ Monster Power conditioner with 2 separate iso filters for analog and digital and everything is restored!

The tripp lite does come with a rather thin power cord. I fitted it with an iec connector and a thick gauge power cord and I noticed a difference in the bottom end.

I tend to think that I am using cheap low quality conditioning components with a  high quality  system, but who knows if those expensive power conditioners really are that much better. I don't.

you can see what I am talking about here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61617415@N02/5631091661/in/photostream/lightbox/

« Last Edit: 05/08/11 at 22:43:48 by Raduschka »  
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 05/09/11 at 00:19:22

Thanks for the links and pics Raduschka. So, at 250W, that's enough, huh? Interesting. My BPS is rated at 8 amps. I think it will be more than adequate for my headphone rig.  ;-)

I plan to swap it in to replace my Monster AVS-2000 and HTS 5100, which. Plan to return to the HT system.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 05/09/11 at 00:21:18

8 amps
that should drive your car too
here is what Steve said about my Tripplite:

Yes, the mini torii draws around 1 amp, and the CD player probably 1/8th amp.  Should work fine.- Steve Deckert

_MG_3507 par raduschka, sur Flickr

_MG_3507 par raduschka, sur Flickr

« Last Edit: 05/09/11 at 15:52:49 by Raduschka »  
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 05/09/11 at 18:46:29

Dr. Frankenstein, eh? Wink

In the photos I saw of tne TrippLite IS1000, the power cord appears robust. I should know in the next few days when mine arrives.

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 05/24/11 at 02:28:45

Pale Rider, any impressions of the tripp lites?

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 06/05/11 at 02:15:51

I think this fits here, on the topic of power conditioning:
...I installed a hospital grade outlet in my living room, as the one I was using was remarkably loose. upon inspection, the wires coming out of the wall were completely darkened by decades of unattended existence so I brought their coppery shine back  with a piece of sand paper. Yes, now I have even better sound coming out of my system, easily audible in the bass zone, but the whole sound is more lifelike. Sting-dream of the Blue Turtles MSFL happened to be the cd in the player. Moon over Bourbon street-well, he is right there, on top of the bass and there is a saxophone in the back. "Consider me Gone"-the two notes on the bass, they feel like a real bass guitar being played  now and the percussion is life like. etc etc
I bought a red leviton hospital grade outlet from
frwoodworking on Ebay, for 7$ + 2$ shipping or so. Not the best, but it works for now.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230625178913&ssPageName=STRK:M...

« Last Edit: 06/05/11 at 02:20:14 by Raduschka »  
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 06/05/11 at 02:49:38

I put one of those same receptacles in my room that cost I think 14 at Lowes, and I had  similar experience. I cleaned up the wires, though they weren't as bad as yours sound, and installing the hospital grade receptacle made a very notable difference. More definition and focus all round.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print