Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/21/14 at 00:14:41

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print
Decware Zen ULTRA  six channel preamp (Read 34441 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: Decware Zen ULTRA  six channel preamp
Reply #75 - 05/14/11 at 20:54:21

Will, thanks much for the rec. Picked up the last 4 with "imperfect" test scores. I have been wanting to try some Telefunkens, but confess to being somewhat bewildered by the array of choices, and the varying opinions and "web voodoo" on them.

« Last Edit: 05/14/11 at 21:02:06 by Pale Rider »  

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 05/14/11 at 21:47:16

Pale,

This is a quote from tubemonger from when i asked them about using imperfect test score tubes as inputs on the Torii.

"For critical gain stages, it is not a good idea to use tubes with imperfect scores."

I asked because they are cheap and I don't even know what imperfect scores are. So I am still ignorant, just passing on the tubemonger view. You seem to know a lot, but just in case, there is time to change if you feel inclined and the tubemonger folks are very efficient and accommodating in my experience. Wink

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 05/14/11 at 21:56:49

Indeed, they are cheaper by 1/3. But, like you, I am still unclear on what it means to have an imperfect score.. I suspect it is, among other things, a tube that does not test out perfectly as new. Just as I suspect some of my formerly new NOS tubes would now test. This seems to me a good reason to fire up my new-to-me B&K 707 tester!

Just the same, I will write them and point them to my intended use in the Ultra and/or Toriis.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 05/15/11 at 02:42:52

Well, they were very responsive, but I got a similar "not familiar with your amplifier circuit, but may not be suitable for critical application" sort of response. So, I upgraded to the quad matched set. Will see how they sound. And you were right about Tubemonger being efficient. They were ready to ship in less than two hours. I barely got the order changed in time.

« Last Edit: 05/15/11 at 02:48:40 by Pale Rider »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 05/15/11 at 06:23:03

Yeah, who knows. I guess you were probably right that the imperfects would be fine, but I sure would like to know that before buying a bunch. I bet it is just some matching standards they use....like the triodes being off by 15%, or one of the triodes being under some standard.

I can say that I can hear the usual stuff like cables and different tubes with this amp...probably like your Taboo and your coming Ultra, but slightly imperfect tubes....got me. Hope the tubes suit you. Mine took a while to settle in. Looking forward to your impressions of them and your Toriis and Ultra. Man, you have got some exciting explorations coming! Cool

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 05/16/11 at 03:15:56

At the end of the day, saving $14 per tube just isn't worth the uncertainty. Granted, that price differential is almost the price for what Decware charges for a 6922 or 6N1P, but still.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 05/16/11 at 05:12:54

I think the stock tubes sound great, and for reasonable prices. But after getting a taste for a nice variety of NOS tubes and their potential for amazing synergy, even having tried a couple varieties of cryo'd NOS 6N1Ps, I just can't use them. Had I not gotten into tubes though....I would have been very happy with stock. Tube play just opens bigger and deeper doorways when I get the right ones working together.

I had not tried a Telefunken either....too mythical and precious. But these 7DJ8s are a relatively inexpensive and welcome taste of them, and I understand the attraction now!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 05/16/11 at 17:34:05

I suppose we could be trying these:

https://www.tubeworld.com/el34metal.htm

Only $1150 for a matched pair. Sheesh. I think I will stick with my Hazen Grid devices and more reasonable tubes.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 05/16/11 at 18:03:16

Ouch!

IP Logged
mac5u
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 05/16/11 at 23:56:27

My guess is he'll sell them -- probably to some banker bailed out with TARP funds.

(With semi-sincere appologies to any bankers on this forum).

« Last Edit: 05/17/11 at 01:14:12 by mac5u »  
  IP Logged
mac5u
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 05/17/11 at 01:35:32

...And with another set of apologies to Brash who started this thread, until we get more information on the Zen Ultra, I am afraid this thread will continue to drift...

Wink

First, I don't know that I have ever seen amps and associated equipment mounted vertically, but it certainly seems Steve has flipped his equipment over on its side.

Also, I can't quite make out everything in the photo.  The Zen Ultra is at the top.  I don't recognize the piece of equipment with the gauges -- is that one of the earlier Toriis?  And below that, what, Zstages?  And then cometh the Zen CD player?

« Last Edit: 05/17/11 at 01:39:37 by mac5u »  
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 05/17/11 at 14:16:56

Hey mac5u, yes, a little thread drift might be unavoidable, but commenting on a picture from the Ultra page is probably topical. Wink

Anyway, I wondered about those gauges as well, and about the associated equipment, too.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #87 - 05/17/11 at 14:25:32

I think the gauges are just further proof that Steve IS a mad scientist.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 05/20/11 at 04:43:23

Ah, the good old fine line between madness and genius!

But seeing the pic again reminds me that I have to find a proper stand that will permit access to the Ultra and Toriis, and even show them off, along with other components I care less about seeing, and also leaving room for center channel speakers that are likely to be ERRs.

IP Logged
MikeZ@turningpointaudio
Verified Member

Reply #89 - 05/20/11 at 14:08:05

Pale Rider-
Have you checked out the Z-Rack by Decware? It has adjustable shelves and can have the same type of wood as your ERR's.
Just a thought
Mike

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print