Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/31/14 at 20:58:59

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Decware Zen ULTRA  six channel preamp (Read 30114 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Decware Zen ULTRA  six channel preamp
Reply #30 - 04/19/11 at 16:04:30

Re: Sony BDP-S5000ES: my unit arrived a week ago and has been heavily in use. Incredible build quality, made in Japan. FANTASTIC picture. The best picture for DVD and Blu-Ray I've ever had before. The 2 channel analog out is excellent. Not as good for Redbook as my Sony SCD-XA5400ES, but really good. Coaxial out to the ZDAC-1 sounds excellent, movie playback is detailed and dynamic. For the price this was going for (400 or so) a solid steal of a bargain.

Weighs 22 pounds! Build quality (which is important to me, why do you think I love Decware?) is really something. I'm so glad I have one. I'm convinced it would be a great choice for use with the Ultra.

« Last Edit: 04/19/11 at 16:04:52 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
lovethemusic
Verified Member

Reply #31 - 04/23/11 at 17:38:39

Blu Ray players with analog outputs will smoke this sony player, OPPO sells one or three that I think are pretty good. I have a Arcam older DV-79 w/analog output that cost 1700 new now sell for 400 on audiogon that my OPPO BDP 83 SE kills despite what the dealer says and OPPO 95 slightly modified will stand up against big ticket Blu ray players. I think Steve mentioned that Blu Ray for Sound is far superior than DVD so why waste a dime on a DVD player when Blu Ray will be obsolete soon enough.

IP Logged
lovethemusic
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 04/23/11 at 17:43:28

BTY, my new Torii Mk III is breaking in nicely:) and happily waiting for a brother, sister and ZEN ULTRA, dream system in the works. What would be a great set up with ZEN speaker's including subs, surrounds fronts and center, any idea's will be very appreciated. I already have a projector, big room and lots of long HQ speaker wire:)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #33 - 04/23/11 at 20:57:16

love the music, IT"S NOT A DVD PLAYER I'M TALKING ABOUT HERE: It's the last flagship Sony Blu-Ray player that I'm talking about, the BDP-S5000ES player.  I've heard a friend's Oppo BDP-93 and he's heard my Sony and we both agree the analog out is better on the Sony. And he also agrees the Sony is built way better than the Oppo as far as case and design. He's ordered one of the Sonys for his main system. And I've read whole pages of reviews of this player, many of them saying it has a better analog sound than Oppos. So I'm trusting my ears and making a recommendation based on my experience. I'm NOT talking about a DVD player here, but I will say that the DVD picture on this Blu-Ray player has freaked me out, it's so damned good. I am not impressed with the build quality of Oppos in comparison to this flagship Sony Blu-Ray player at its current discounted price. Anyway, I just think at 400 or 500 dollars it's a helluva deal, but I have no vested interest other than just spreading a little news about a great machine at a great price.

I'm glad that your Mk III is sounding great (how could it not?)  I love mine. From my cold dead hands.  . . . Wink  I can only imagine how an Ultra and a system based around it would sound. I'm not into surround sound, but for those that are, I'm sure it's the best option. If I were going to go the Ultra based system route I'd recommend another Torii and ERRs front and back. I'm not a fan of subs in a system, and with two pair of ERRs, I don't think you'd need subs. As for cabling: I always recommend Steve's interconnects, speaker cable, and power cords, they're incredible value for the money.

« Last Edit: 04/23/11 at 22:22:47 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 04/24/11 at 17:59:21

Lon, I am not at all surprised by the quality of that Sony unit. And at its price now—seriously? $400? Think about that!—it is a bargain.  And I agree its build qulity is better. I didn't get to "heft" it when I heard it, but it sure seemed well-built. But it ought to smoke the Oppo BDP-93, because it is better built, and each had a different target when released. Moreover, I believe its audio section got much more design attention. I have listened to that Sony, and it is very very good. I chose to stick with my decision to buy the Oppo BDP-95. I had already waited months, because I thought the 93's Achilles' heel was its audio. But in its price range, I don't think the same is true of the 95. When Steve announced the Ultra, I swear I thought the 95 was made for it.

« Last Edit: 04/24/11 at 18:09:35 by Pale Rider »  

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #35 - 04/24/11 at 18:12:15

I'm sure the 95 and the Ultra are going to be a great combo and hard to beat!

I'm just a luddite when it comes to component casing and stuff. I need cases to be strong and heavy. I gave away a Sony BDP-S350 a few weeks ago to a friend because I thought I could be happy with it in my second system where picture and audio quality isn't that big a deal for dvd and Blu-Ray, but. . . it was so flimsy I just couldn't bear it. Smiley The friend is happy! Smiley He was using a Panasonic that was even flimsier!  I really dislike this trend to make everything cheap and plastic.

Anyway, it looks as if the cheap Sony BDP-S5000ES units are drying up. . . I'm struggling against the urge to buy another one to leave in the box in a closet. It's insane to do so but. . . yeah, I've talked myself out of it successfully so far.

« Last Edit: 04/24/11 at 18:14:47 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 04/24/11 at 19:28:26

Lon, you and me both. I much prefer sturdiness to mere good looks. FWIW, the Oppo 95 Is in a closer weight class to the Sony. And the difference between the 93 and the 95 is almost all in the audio section. Flimsy it is not.

I also noticed that low prices on the Sony seem to be harder to find than just a few weeks ago. I only found one vendor today with a sub-$600 price.

« Last Edit: 04/24/11 at 20:05:21 by Pale Rider »  

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
lovethemusic
Verified Member

Reply #37 - 04/24/11 at 22:26:36

Lon, my bad on the DVD thing, I missed that the Sony was Blu Ray. I actually have an ARCAM that smokes the OPPO and it is a DVD player, only in sound not video, cost much much more, using that now due to selling my Ayre CD5xeMP. Yeah, I'd say the OPPO 95 with good power cord and interconnects all analog will handily beat the Sony but at triple the cost or so. I have an OPPO 83SE and it's really good stock, modified by Tweak Audio, Ric Schultz bring it to cost no object sound possibly but at a pretty penny, like at least 2K total but will smoke just about everything.OPPO's 95 is supposed to be 10% better than the 83SE which is a lot better. For the money the OPPO 95 has great performance, especially in the analog outputs, balanced two channel and the video is amazing for that price. I think you know that, fully modified takes it to a whole new level, but try selling the dam thing afterwards, not easy. The only problem with modifying gear its seems hard to sell.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #38 - 04/24/11 at 22:32:51

That may be true, Probably is. I don't have specifics because I just don't sell stuff. I should. I may, I have amps just sitting around. Among other things!

I'm watching a Blu-Ray on this Sony right now and am just blown away.So glad it's been available at this discounted price and I have it. I'm set if I were to ever go "Ultra Surround." Not bloody likely! Smiley I'm loving my sort of two channel surround with my Radials and Torii!

I'm glad you also have a great video source. That's the thing with the Decware line. . . it forces you eventually to seek out superior sources. You can't escape it!

« Last Edit: 04/24/11 at 22:35:03 by Lon »  

IP Logged
lovethemusic
Verified Member

Reply #39 - 04/24/11 at 22:36:15

I contradicted myself. My Arcam sounds better than the OPPO 83SE..For me to go all out and reduce two full blown systems down to one will be quite a project. I am not sure it works for me, I like my two channel situation and I do like my HT. Having a whole new HT by Decware may have to wait for a 5 channel ZEN Ultra AMP which may be NEXT...hint hint if it can be done.....I think Steve is capable of anything frankly.

« Last Edit: 04/24/11 at 22:42:59 by lovethemusic »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #40 - 04/24/11 at 23:32:41

I'm sure he already has one. Smiley Making one to sell, well if the Ultra picks up new business as I think it will. . . there you go.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 04/25/11 at 16:56:28

That is indeed a tantalizing prospect.

I hear you lovethemusic. I went back and forth on this issue of integrating a two channel setup with the HT rig. At the end of the day, for me, it was just an issue of house logistics. I tried to set up two different systems, one for audio and one for HT, and the net result was tha neither got used! That wasn't so much a reflection on what was in each room, as that changed family circumstances made me realize there is only so much "entertainment" time and elasticity in my family situation. And my personal, "hi-res, quality listening" time is spent with headphones. So, having one system that lets me do 2.0 and 5.1/7.1 is probably my better approach.

IP Logged
lovethemusic
Verified Member

Reply #42 - 04/25/11 at 18:24:52

Pale Rider, If I am not mistaken 7.1 is not going to happen affectively anytime soon. NO MOVIES hardly in 7.1 and it doesn't sound right. Steve and I concluded it thru quite a lot of trial and error. I thought I had a 7.1 Meridian system all along only to find out the sides were playing the same as the rears and only the latest greatest most expensive hardware via HDMI will play it and the sound I heard is not all that.  This left a whole lot of high ender HT guys like me wondering what the F, not to mention properly setting up a computer based surround processor is ridiculous.
Though, the prospect of and ALL IN ONE is very inviting to me. Its the amp thing I haven't figured out. I could use my Meridian amps, they are actually the best thing Meridian ever sold IMO. Great transistors if there is such a thing. Then all I need to do is sell of the Meridian Processor which I will lose 8K on and buy the Ultra and run the whole set up via the ULTRA thru the existing speakers, amps and cables, plus the sub and in the end keep my higher end goodies upstairs for late night listening and extra fun.......so's not to wake the three little one's

lovethemusic Grin Grin

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 04/26/11 at 04:18:17

Don't get me wrong, I don't worry about 7.1. I was only referencing the capabilities of the player. Interestingly, I have a Denon receiver somewhere that I picked up in 2006 that had 7.1 even then. At one point, I had it hooked up  with  a bunch of cheap HT speakers in a small room, but I never heard anything worth listening to.

But 5.1 is something else altogether, and between the BDP-95 and the Ultra, I expect to have something worth watching and listening to.

IP Logged
lovethemusic
Verified Member

Reply #44 - 04/26/11 at 07:05:45

Pale Rider, It's all good trying to get 7.I to sound good, I did and actually thought it sounded good until I learned it wasn't even true 7.I that's me. Live and learn. Audio sure is a tuff one to figure. All I know is Steve and Crew are genius's.

When is the 6 channel amp coming out to match the Ultra is my question. Maybe even a recommended set up by Steve replete with speakers  etc. A complete surround and two channel high end system to live with and love for a very long time, like my wife. She actually lovesthemusic too.
I'm a lucky guy I married a jazz lover. ok to much information there.
thanks for all the fun talk guys. It's all fun and innocent that's what I like, it's work but fun work.... I would like my job to be as fun...... I guess if it was my job it wouldn't be so fun maybe but I doubt it, the music takes up any slack.... cheers

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print