Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/22/14 at 14:36:22

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Decware Zen ULTRA  six channel preamp (Read 33657 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Decware Zen ULTRA  six channel preamp
Reply #15 - 04/10/11 at 05:04:33

Yes, and more and more are in small plastic cases and full of cheap crap. Glad you took advantage of that deal, I think it's going to be seen s as an "epic" one. Smiley

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/10/11 at 16:07:59

Agreed. I have to say I am very happy with the Oppo BDP-95 I recently installed. Solidly made, with a lot of attention to audio detail, including the ability to drive both 2-channel and 7.1 component audio and a reasonable quality DAC. How this will pair up with the Ultra remains to be seen, but I am jazzed about this possibility.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #17 - 04/11/11 at 02:32:21

Well, boy web page creation can sure eat up some time...  Nevertheless I have the Zen ULTRA page  done and on the site.  I also bit the bullet on the pricing on this one, despite what it might look like.  Even though there is less IRON on this than there is on a TORII, there are 4 times as many internal parts which translates to more than twice as long to build and test.  It's a very labor intensive build.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ULTRA.html

-Steve  :)

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #18 - 04/11/11 at 16:20:27

The effort is worth it Steve, always a fascinating read.

I think this product (though not on MY list) may prove to open a few new doors for Decware as there's really little that comes close to being like it out there and for some reason Smiley people love surround sound. Including people who don't yet know they're audiophiles and haven't yet encountered a need (so they think) for a Decware component.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #19 - 04/11/11 at 17:44:55

Quote:
Cool!!! So the 7.1 HD DTS Master will or won't be decodable? I ask because I set my HT system (when I had money) for 7.1 only to realize there was no material then and still isn't much. This makes me wonder if Blu Ray is a flash in the pan or not.  Only now after years and years I'm starting to see stuff, i.e. TRON, MONSTER's  made for 7.1. Yet my 7 dedicated channels cannot decode it. I thought I was decoding it by running the analog outputs via the OPPO 83SE into the analog inputs of the Meridian but nothing doing, they tried to tell me that in discrete mode its 7.1. Not the case, I ran the tests and its blending the sides and rears. End of story. Why aren't the extra two channels mixed in there discretely?

In the end how would I blend all 7 channels or would I even want to try if I keep all my equipment. I do have a very large room. Actually I always thought the 5.1 sounded pretty good anyway.

John

How many channels do you have hooked up?

John,

I have experimented with 7.1 from my Blu Ray player, set up the side channels per spec and was equally disappointed, which left me to wonder why they came up with 7.1 in the first place.  

My guess is that the typical home theater system with tiny little speakers leave so much to be desired from a dispersion standpoint that 7.1 was an effort to keep the sound from JUMPING from the front to the rear.  Adding that extra side speaker should make for a smoother transition.

If you set up good rear channels for wide dispersion, like I have, the system can create an image anywhere between the front and rear speakers making for a seamless sound field.  Example, a motorcycle sound as it drives can go between the right front and right rear speakers without disappearing in the middle.  

In my tests, 7.1 with the two extra speakers is a waste of time.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 04/13/11 at 15:25:34

One word: ordered.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #21 - 04/13/11 at 16:19:31

Gee, what a surprise! Smiley

Looks like a wonderful unit. I know you'll be happy. The waiting begins!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 04/13/11 at 19:23:56

Yeah, I know, I am completely obtuse. Oh well.

But the way I figure it, this solves every one of my concerns about integrating stereo, home theater, and headphone listening. I shared the page with several friends and they all had the same reaction: this solves all the problems they had between excellent stereo and good HT.

« Last Edit: 04/13/11 at 19:33:53 by Pale Rider »  

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/13/11 at 20:02:57

Any thoughts on these Ediswans as the signal tubes in the Ultra: http://www.upscaleaudio.com/tubes/6922/edi-cv2492.html . I have found Russian rubes as cheap as a buck, but something tells me the Ultra will merit better.

« Last Edit: 04/13/11 at 20:06:57 by Pale Rider »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 04/14/11 at 14:16:14

I'd seriously recommend hunkering down for the long wait for the Ultra and listening to the stock tube complement for a month or two.  And then deciding what to do.

Tubes react differently in each circuit, so if I were to say "MAN THEY SOUND INCREDIBLE IN MY AMP!" doesn't mean they'll be the cats's meow in the Ultra.  In your shoes I'd get the Ultra, listen through break-in and then decide what you might want another tube set to accomplish, and then maybe ask Steve about tube choices, who is the one person on the planet who will have more experience with the Ultra than you. Smiley

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 04/14/11 at 19:48:12

Lon:

I think that is great advice.

Right now, my order for the Ultra is without tubes, bur maybe I will rethink that.

Greg

IP Logged
mac5u
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 04/17/11 at 17:50:08

I agree with Lon.  It would be a good idea to establish a frame of reference using the tubes the designer voiced the amp around first.  Are you already familiar with the stock tubes and have identified a particular sound you know won't be achieved with these tubes?

About voicing, does anyone know why amp designers (it could be Steve or any other amp manufacturer for that matter) choose  a particular stock tube "configuration"?  Is it just to meet a price point?  Is it because the chosen configuration meets a minimum level of acceptable sound quality? Something else, maybe?

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/18/11 at 00:06:20

mac5u, as I noted in response to Lon, I think it is good advice to hear what Steve thinks sounds good in the Ultra. I did that with my Taboo. Having said that, it is also true Steve encourages tube rolling. So, I don't think there is any harm in the discussion.

As I said, I am rethinking ordering the Ultra with the stock set. I may love 'em, and in fact, I am confident I will. Steve's philosophy seems to be about superlative sound and good value. More than once, his design notes discuss achieving great results without requiring exotic tubes. Just the same, the prices of sweet NOS tubes just keeps going up, so no harm in thinking about options as I hunker down for the wait.

As for voicing, I have heard several designers offer differing explanations. Alex Cavalli, for example, a headphone amp designer and the maker of the Liquid Fire, which I ordered, says he did not voice to a particular tube or headphone. He says he designed it to met certain engineering goals. It so happens his amp allegedly sounds great with my favorite cans. We'll see. Personally, I like Steve's approach and how easy he makes it to roll your own.

« Last Edit: 06/04/11 at 17:29:06 by Pale Rider »  

IP Logged
mac5u
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 04/18/11 at 01:25:19

Since you are one of the first, maybe even the first, to order an Ultra, I look forward to reading about your impressions once you get it.

IP Logged
mac5u
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 04/18/11 at 01:32:05

Since you are one of the first, maybe even the first, to order an Ultra, I look forward to reading about your impressions once you get it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print