Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/23/14 at 19:32:01

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Fighting the good fight: Recommending Decware (Read 9696 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Fighting the good fight: Recommending Decware
01/12/11 at 17:00:40

If I were a less tenacious and opinionated person, I might have an easier time with life.

As an example, I believe in Decware and the value that it brings. I live on a few music forums, and there are always people asking for recommendations of affordable amplifiers, preamps, speakers, cabling, etc. I always recommend Decware, because as we all know, Decware is the very definition of bang for buck excellent sound.

More often than not, these recommendations are met with incredulity if not derision.  A surprisingly smaller than one would have found last decade just blow off the whole idea of tubes, as that's old shit that can't be good. But more and more people say "Why buy something like Decware that you never heard of when you can buy this built in Taiwan and China and Korea solid state thing that has a name that most everyone knows?"  I point out that the Decware products are hand-built in the USA and have a warranty that's hard to believe, but get nowhere as people say "why not buy this tube amp from China at half the price it sure looks good on this ebay ad!"

It's frustrating, but I keep recommending Decware as often as I can, and even get labeled a paid representative for Decware sometimes as no one seems willing to believe that anyone could be so passionate about a manufacturer without being paid.

And, I have to say, I'm pretty certain that in the end I've brought a few new persons to Decware.

Anyone else encounter similar resistance, disbelief, ridicule in even suggesting Decware as a quality alternative to the mass brands?

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
dla405j
Verified Member

Re: Fighting the good fight: Recommending Decware
Reply #1 - 01/12/11 at 18:46:29

I'm amazed at the number of "informed" audiophiles who don't know about decware and refuse to take a look.  I'm lucky to live in Illinois so it's easy to make a trip to East peoria for pickup of amps/service and Decfest.  After several times getting the cold shoulder from audio boutiques Decware staff is most accommodating and down right friendly! It's also a no bulls*** place that has regular people doing exceptional work..all questions are answered and the design is superb, worth far more than costs.  I think you have to get people to take the first step; go to this website, read, then make a visit and hear and compare...but most people can't/won't make the effort and just stay in their same audio rut

Dave A.   dla405j

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #2 - 01/12/11 at 21:05:20

Howdy Lon,

I hear what you're saying .....

The sad thing is that "hearing is believing" ..... at least for many people, and unless a person has heard the difference between a well designed and executed piece of audio gear and the "other stuff" they have no idea what they are missing.

I wish I had a nickel for every person who was a big fan of mid-fi rack systems, B*se equipment or other highly regarded audio gear (both tube and SS) that had a jaw dropping experience while spending a couple of hours in my listening room hearing music through the Decware Select amplifier.

Having said that, I have also seen a lot of folks who just "didn't get it", either because the music was not that important to them or because they simply can't hear .....

Keep fighting the good fight ..... but even if no one else is interested you have the satisfaction of hearing music in a way that puts a smile on your face .....

Best wishes,

Randy

« Last Edit: 01/12/11 at 21:09:12 by Randy in Caintuck »  

CEC TL-2 belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
Decware Model SE84C+ amplifier
Greenvalve Audio Type 10 amplifier
Parker Audio Troll Magnus speakers
"Mini Me" OBs - with Hawthorne Augies, Wild Burro Betsy drivers and Heil AMTs
WWW   IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 01/13/11 at 06:57:24

I think, it all has to do with the creator. With Decware products, I always get the feeling, that I am buying the best "sound", because of the effort put in is more than 100%. For my ZOB, there are options that Steve has mentioned, but I feel that the DFR, will do a good job. I always tell my friends that when I get something from Decware, it normally means "look no further"

shreekant Smiley

84C, ZBox, Ex mod, Zkit4&5.1, Vcap, CCE, Lowthers, CD200, Power iso and other stuff
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4 - 01/13/11 at 15:08:13

Well, we'll all keep fighting the good fight I guess. I hate being part of an elite. Smiley  I want many more to experience this.

And looking at the way that Decware has grown in the last dozen years. . . many more are, one by one.

Keep 'em flying boys!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Jon
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/13/11 at 23:12:27

I must say that I am more than 100% satisfied with my Decware purchase.  When I was doing research into different speakers and companies I often found myself getting stand offish comments about my amp - SE84ZS.  They were not blatant responses but definitely had an underlying tone.  People hear what they want to hear and see what they want to see based on price and name, not by sound quality.  From the quality of service and product that I received from Steve and company, all of my future component purchases will come from Decware (outside of a turntable).

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 01/19/11 at 05:47:57

Great thread Lon. Randy, as you said, they don't get it or can't hear (not a gifted listener as Gizmo would say) and/or MUSIC is just not that important to them.

I keep that in mind when I am enjoying the listening room at 76db SPL average and it actually sounds louder and wet with tone. It takes people like us who actually SIT and listen to music for enjoyment to the soul/core TO seek out products like Steves amps for transparency, timbre and tone to keep US involved in the music while we listen actively.

Most people will never understand that. They enjoy music passively and nothing more and that is ok. We care that a ride cymbal sounds like a ride cymbal............

Stone of Tone Cool

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #7 - 01/19/11 at 13:40:13

Good points gentlemen!

Stone, the thing that mystifies me is when there are those that DO listen as we do and they aren't interested in trying Decware because it has no "name" they know.

Ah well! Smiley

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #8 - 01/19/11 at 14:47:38

Lon,

Your comment reminded me of something that happened several years ago.  I had not thought about this for a long time .....

Before purchasing the Decware Select amplifier, I owned a rather pricey Audio Research amplifier.  It sounded OK and had enough juice that you could do arc welding with it ..... but the Select put it to shame when it came to making music.

There was a guy I knew from across the river in Cincinnati who would come to visit once in a while to check out "what was new in my system".  He was really into the Stereopile recommended components stuff and thought my AR amp was the bee's knees since it was on the list.  Of course, it probably didn't hurt that he also owned some AR equipment .....

The way I had the system set up at the time, the amplifier was not visible from the listening seat.  I sat the gent down and played a few songs for him through the Select without telling him that there was a new amplifier was in the system.

He had a big smile on his face and stated that "the system has never sounded better".

So ..... I walked him over and showed him the new amplifier.
The blood literally drained from his face .....

We listened to a few more songs and when he was getting ready to leave his comment was "well, that little amplifier sounds pretty good for what it is" .....

The really funny thing was that the speakers I had at the time were a pair of ProAc bookshelves with insanely complex crossovers which did not really let the Decware Select do its thing.

It's amazing the effect that "name recognition" has on the ears of some people .....

Randy

« Last Edit: 01/19/11 at 15:00:50 by Randy in Caintuck »  

CEC TL-2 belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
Decware Model SE84C+ amplifier
Greenvalve Audio Type 10 amplifier
Parker Audio Troll Magnus speakers
"Mini Me" OBs - with Hawthorne Augies, Wild Burro Betsy drivers and Heil AMTs
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #9 - 01/19/11 at 15:30:20

Yes, that story, I bet we could find hundreds of examples, and we wouldn't be surprised.

It's human nature, I certainly have exhibited that type of behavior in many other forms. One example would be when my late wife talked me into seeing the movie by Mira Nair called "Monsoon Wedding." It didn't have a single actor I'd heard of, nor was it directed by anyone I knew of, and I had very low expectations. Turns out it was one of the very best movies I have ever seen, and I've seen it multiple times, and each time it moves me to my core, it makes me an emotional puddle. Cinematic art at its finest. And I would have glossed right over it because. . . it had no "names."

We'll just have to keep on keeping up the good fight!

IP Logged
ny10522
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 01/21/11 at 16:44:52

This industry seems to be driven by one name: "Stereophile." It doesn´t take much common sense to recognize that Stereophile´s "hallowed" opinions may be more than compromised by the volume of advertising between its covers. Direct subscriptions are dirt cheap so ad dollars reign supreme. How many of its reviews focus on gear clean of ad dollars and audio dealer markups? I have noticed that after low priced budget components are favorably reviewed, they are invariably knocked down in future follow up issues which point out discovered deficiencies. Rarely is an ultra expensive component from its advertiser list subject to the same scrutiny.
If Stereophile were honest and objective, it would laud the unique lifetime warranty of Decware products as a service to its subscribers. Indeed, I don´t remember reading a single Stereophile article that focused on product reliability or customer service.
The internet has, more than anything else, leveled the playing field by providing recommendations directly from consumers to consumers. I learned about Decware years ago from an audio forum. I called Decware, and much to my surprise, received some great advice from the company president (Steve) over the phone and well...I´ve been hooked on the gear ever since.

« Last Edit: 01/22/11 at 00:16:47 by ny10522 »  

Main:
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/23/11 at 19:32:33

More Decware publicity from cnet:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20029188-47.html?tag=cnetRiver

Comments are about what you would expect.

IP Logged
mike_gagne

Reply #12 - 01/23/11 at 20:57:01

Aloha all, I havent been here in a while but I loved this thread and had to comment! I've been building my house which turned into a bigger project AND I have a dedicated listen room.
My addition to Lon's, Randy's and ny's post is that some folks are "inner directed" in that they feel themselves from their own perceptions. More people are "outer directed"-guided by what others say and do.
I'll be back soon. Thanks for still being here.   mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #13 - 01/23/11 at 22:23:34

ny, you've touched on why I let my subscription to Stereophile lapse for years. I learned a lot reading it for years, but I also was increasingly alienated by some of the attitudes that revealed themselves to me.

ski bum, thanks for the link. Yeah, the comments are just about what I expected!

mike, I think you've raised a very interesting thought. Pondering it, I think it makes quite a bit of sense.

« Last Edit: 01/23/11 at 22:26:38 by Lon »  

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/23/11 at 23:25:11

Lon and Mike-

The author of that cnet article is a contributor to Stereophile, I believe.  So far that guy has had two articles with very positive things to say about Decware, despite the inevitable flame war in the comments.  He seems to be fighting the good fight, and bringing more attention to Decware than anonymous individuals making recommendations in a music or audio forum ever could.  

If the added exposure helps Steve put food on the table and pisses off some obsessive/compuslive jerks, that's great.

« Last Edit: 01/23/11 at 23:28:16 by ski bum »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print