Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/23/14 at 04:28:27

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Everyday I have the blues... (Read 2653 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Everyday I have the blues...
Reply #15 - 12/05/10 at 18:05:46

I listened to some heavy, almost evil blues today, early stuff, including a lot of Blind Willie Johnson. Man that guy can scare me in several ways.

I know it shouldn't, but sometimes the way a musician acts reflects on the music to me. I read the Rolling Stone article with John and I couldn't see him perform or hear his music quite the same way again. I just really have a deep respect for women and I don't think John does. That's all I'll say. ... It has made me not as ardent for his blues.

And I think his songwriting structure and an awful lot of his "pose" is very Jimi influenced, in a quasi-calculated way.  I think he could do more, move into a more original, authentic John in playing and writing. Maybe one without a reversed headstock. Smiley

Match, have you heard much T-Bone Walker?  Say the Black & White or Imperial recordings?  An amazing singer, and one of the most influential blues guitarists of all time.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 12/05/10 at 19:07:32

Lon said, "Match, have you heard much T-Bone Walker?  Say the Black & White or Imperial recordings?  An amazing singer, and one of the most influential blues guitarists of all time."

I've learned so many different versions of Stormy Monday that I have no idea what is what; however, I am sad to say I own nothing by T-Bone Walker.  that is sad.  I will pick up some of his stuff for Xmas.

Here's a guy with blues that scares me.  There is nothing like this anymore.  Eric Clapton did a tribute album for Robert Johnson but I think he sanitized the sound and lost the edge on RJ's music.  That's about as close as anyone, I think, has tried to get.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 12/05/10 at 19:52:35

This two cd set, long out of print, is usually found easily for five to ten bucks and is defiinitely worth the coin.

I actually prefer the Black&White recordings, but they're hard to find cheap.  I haven't looked to see if they're downloadable places, probably are. They swing a bit more in a jazzy way than the Imperials, which rock a bit harder. . . .

Either way this is where to start, with T-Bone in the forties and fifties. In some ways I think there would be no B.B. King if there had been no Aaron Thibedaux Walker.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #18 - 12/12/10 at 13:37:23

Matchstikman reply #14, thank goodness for real musicians and singer song writers. The manufactured shlock of Boy Beiber and the Jonas Sisters through those voice synth's is so laughable! Thanks for this other Artist/musician you posted.

Stone of Tone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 12/12/10 at 13:44:15

Lon, I think Jon M. has potential for his playing and writing and really moving me down the road, say, 10 to 15 more years of life's maturity and musician growing accumulation. I agree, he needs to respect women too. The airing of the Simpson stuff was, come on John?

Stone

« Last Edit: 12/12/10 at 13:46:09 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #20 - 12/12/10 at 13:53:23

I do appreciate the total class of Eric Johnson. Chops off the charts too, to say the least.

Stone
http://www.ericjohnson.com/

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90