Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/03/14 at 01:39:58

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Vinyl vs. CD - Huge discovery! (Read 9009 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Vinyl vs. CD - Huge discovery!
Reply #30 - 10/31/10 at 03:37:43

Indeed, these are test runs.  I'm not cleaning the records nor getting the perfect levels during the recording.  If I continue with this, I'll be cleaning the LPs and selecting ones that are in only great condition.  Be using the Teres table, and doing it over as many times as needed to hit the levels perfect.  No compression, normalization or anything is done, it's just a direct dump.  Makes getting the levels right a trial and error process for each song.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
dla405j
Verified Member

Reply #31 - 10/31/10 at 04:54:39

I'm interested in this because I'd like to take the best of my vinyl and put it on computer but am willing to only have the best selections and quality available for my computer(s)/harddrive.  I listened to these selections  and also had heard a few in Steve's listening room as I waited to pickup some equipment. I like what I heard.  I hope that there's enough interest for this to work as a Decware option.  Eventually I would like to have an all digital/computer system with tube/analog sound and this seems to be the best way to go... If Steve (Decware) follows through with this I know it will be done right and at a reasonable cost.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #32 - 11/22/10 at 13:41:09

i can clearly hear improvement on the steve miller samples, even on the horrible headphones i have here right now.your process steve seems to get me deeper into the music without extra volume being required and delivers a much richer tone, i wonder if the engineers compressed the miller recording when they put it on cd? thats what it sounds like to me, like the mainstream cd is compressed, thin and recessed, whereas your new digital recording is open, full and thick.

id really like to buy a cd from you, put 8 great classic rock songs on a cd and ill give ya $40 for it.

Cool

« Last Edit: 11/22/10 at 13:41:51 by 60_and_up »  

Peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew. ...
  IP Logged
brashgordon
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 03/30/11 at 10:02:50

I have a tremendous interest in seeing this priject evolve. I would have many of my old favorites from the 60's and 70's, evne Mobile fidelity and 12' pressings that I can't afford to maintain a T/T for $3k+ for the occasional listen. I'm old, health won't be improving...but quality of listening could if this genome explodes.  I'll help light the fuse... and I used to share my records, so I would certainly allow someone else to listen to them, and it's not really hi-jacking the material, just running it through a process to improve the performance level...Heck, I'll send Bonham's , Entwistle's, and Marley's widows a buck or two ...  no woman no cry, eh?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Mx-6
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 04/01/11 at 02:51:33

I just saw this thread and noticed a great difference in the sound. One thing in particular is that the steve miller song sounds like the channels are flipped in comparing my mp3 to the file of the beginning of fly like an eagle. I'm currently downloading a vinyl and another cd torrent of the greatest hits to see if the quality can compare at all.

I agree that the vinyl versions seem to sound completely different and even on my average system I use with my PC the edginess is gone from the music. I didn't realize how much the cd takes away from the music. I've always thought that my speakers were doing that, lol.

IP Logged
Ricardus
Verified Member

Reply #35 - 07/23/11 at 03:51:12

I just did some listening in my mastering studio with some ribbon nearfields and played the Steve Miller AIFF files about a dozen times each.  Then I opened them up in an editor. The LP sample was more compressed and louder with more distortion in the upper frequencies. The CD version was quieter and less compressed. Not really a fair comparison in general if you ask me.

I would be curious to know what year the CD sample was from. It sounds like a very early mastering to me due to all of the dynamic range left in the sample (something not done in most modern re-masterings).

At the end of the day, I preferred the CD clip. The upper end distortion (a kind of sibilance in the higher frequencies) was enough to turn me off of the LP version.

And to be honest, unless this was a double blind test where the participants didn't KNOW which sample they were hearing (ie "the lowly CD version" VS. the "LP VERSION WITH 10,000 DOLLARS OF TUBE GEAR" in the signal path) the results are worthless.

The discovery of this thread was an accident. What brought me to your site was your tube amplifiers. I have heard great things and hope to buy one, one day soon.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 07/23/11 at 15:03:28

Welcome Ricardus!

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Ricardus
Verified Member

Reply #37 - 07/23/11 at 15:50:31

Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print