Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/25/14 at 13:05:10

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Vinyl vs. CD - Huge discovery! (Read 9232 times)
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Vinyl vs. CD - Huge discovery!
Reply #15 - 10/11/10 at 18:41:29

This shows that a recording of a record can sound better than a rip of the CD.

It doesn't show your method to be better than any other way of doing it.

How about the same songs simply recorded as .wav through the sound cards input from the phono stage for comparison.  

John C.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #16 - 10/11/10 at 22:55:54

John,

That would be a good comparison.  The process aka recipe is everything used between the tonearm and the ADC.  If I use my phono stage direct to computer input we still have 50% of my recipe in tact so it's not going to be a good comparison if I do it.

Perhaps you or someone else could do it so we have a potentially more striking comparison.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 10/11/10 at 23:21:39

I'm going to disqualify myself.

I have considerable live recording experience, and I also have your phono stage.

John C.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #18 - 10/12/10 at 01:50:09

I have 2 copies of the Steve Miller song in my collection, one was ripped from CD and the other digitized from an LP using Audacity freeware, a 43 year old Garrard turn table (that listed for $75) with a newer $35 cartridge, a Dynaco Pat4 solid state preamp, and a Soundblaster Live sound card.  Both are in MP3 format.  I used Audacity again to edit the MP3 files down to the right part of the song, then exported them in WAV format (so the damage done by an MP3 format is a part of these files even though the edited samples are in WAV format).

I do not know how to (or rather where to) upload the files, but can email them to someone who could post them, or could follow directions as to how to get them posted.  They are worth listening to and comparing.

Dan

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 10/12/10 at 04:15:29

Most free sites won't allow posting of mp3.  

www.imagecabin.com however will, and there is no need to register.  

John C.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #20 - 10/12/10 at 21:21:10

I tried image cabin...I get an error every time I try and upload a file (8 mB).  The modem indicates the file transfered, but imagecabin comes back with error 6.  Going 1 step further, I opened an account...when I log in, all I get is a blank page.

Dan

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #21 - 10/12/10 at 23:53:12

If push comes to shove, you can always copy the wavs to a CD an mail it to me.  I don't think my e-mail will take that large of an attachment.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 10/13/10 at 02:51:39

Cut it down to 8 meg.  You don't need to post the whole song, 10-15 seconds sould be enough.

John C.  

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 10/13/10 at 14:24:41

If you want email me the file and I could get it over to Decware, I live 15 minutes away. Just PM me and I will get you my email.

John

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #24 - 10/13/10 at 15:10:19

I am all for this! Here is why:

I buy vinyl from Acoustic Sounds at $30 each. However, I own a lot of vinyl from garage sales in very good condition (my parents garage sale and bring me vinyl all the time-some gems that make your day!).

A lot of it not available through Acoustic Sounds or the Elusive Disc. For example, I found a prestine copy of James Taylor, Dad Loves his Work. I absolutely love every song on this Album. However, each time I play it - I know wear and tear continues on this non-180 gram copy! Sending it to Steve to have this great involving sound properly done on Disc seems to be the way to go! Once again, I own a lot of vinyl you can't get through above mentioned....I want it on these Discs from Steve at a competitve price-which he is providing!

Furthermore, The JT record I would want whole, but take Gary Wrights Dream Weaver which I have a killer copy of....as suggested he would just burn the selections I want....Dream Weaver, Love is Alive & Can't Find the Judge. The LP is mind blowing the regular CD sucks! I have to have it done Steve's way!  'nough said!

Stone of Tone
PS-my Turntable runs in top shape-I live 15 mins from the Needle Doctor in Minneapolis and bring my Table in for Counter Top Service when needed.

« Last Edit: 10/13/10 at 15:14:47 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #25 - 10/14/10 at 15:10:17

I mailed a CD to Steve today.  Two WAV files plus all the pictures we took at Decfest 2010.

Dan

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #26 - 10/19/10 at 00:16:25

OK, as per request, here is a very short 24/96 sample from the group called Level 42.  The LP was 45 RPM.  A cleaner record, higher RPMS, and the higher bit rate should make this sample sound significantly better than the previous 16/44 samples.

level42sample.aiff

http://www.decware.com/newsite/music/level42sample.aiff

Enjoy,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Rollin
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 10/23/10 at 08:56:55

Played the CDsample, LPsampe & BozScaggs aiff's from 2nd Gen Nano iPod on nothing special Yamaha 5.1 amp, generic 16 gauge wire to decent speakers, and oh my what incredible warmth and fullness with the way Steve is crafting these files! Talking to Steve yesterday on the phone he said whenever something they are working even makes crap equipment sound good they know they are onto something.
Also listened to some HDtracks.com 96kHz/24 bit songs from their free sampler and to me they are not the same. Have that digital edge on them.
I really like playlists and ease of use to change songs, etc, with my iPods so really look forward to what Steve can work out with this process. And yes, I'm working on upgrading my system.

-- Decware Torii #14 --
Speakers:Turning Point Audio HR-ONE's in Red
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #28 - 10/30/10 at 03:41:43

Anyone tried the 24/96 sample yet?

WWW   IP Logged
Juan Antonio

Reply #29 - 10/30/10 at 19:59:22

Well, In my opinion I think there're pros and cons here. The sound, as always, is deeper, more relaxed and analog, and the spacial information is the strong skill that outperforms the digital version by far.
However, the sample is very noisy and distorted.

"A cleaner record"

Mmm.. Ironically the previous samples seem to be cleaner and clearer in sound, and that is what I hear.

PD: The sample belong to the song "Weave Your Spell". I know about this band very very little, but I listened to their almost entire discography more or less time ago and, coincidently, I remember this was clearly my favourite song above all others by far.

« Last Edit: 10/30/10 at 20:00:23 by Juan Antonio »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print