Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/24/14 at 01:37:33

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
subwoofer with Mini Torii (Read 8122 times)
EarHead Audio, LLC
Verified Member

Re: subwoofer with Mini Torii
Reply #30 - 01/03/11 at 03:15:03

I had the same issue with a Torii Mk III driving Omega Super 6 Alnicos, first using one DeepHemp Sub, then using two DeepHemp Subs (each sub bridged to mono using jumpers).

After a phone call to Steve, I reversed the loudspeaker cables at the speaker outputs or at the subs' high-level inputs and this resolved the problem (and restored my sanity). Reversing the phase on the subs, as recommended by another user, is optional, in my experience.

I am expecting delivery of a Mini Torii in the coming weeks and it's good to know what to expect. This is a good post, and I'm glad that I chanced upon it.

Frank Diaz
EarHead Audio, LLC
(authorized Decware and Omega Speaker Systems dealer)

WWW   IP Logged
EarHead Audio, LLC
Verified Member

Reply #31 - 01/03/11 at 03:22:35

pann56:

Speaker cables to the main speakers should be wired correctly--red with red, black with black. Reverse only the cables to the sub(s), either at the amplifier end or on the sub side.

The DeepHemps are wonderful subs.

Happy listening!

FD
EarHead Audio, LLC

WWW   IP Logged
pann56
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 01/03/11 at 03:56:45

thanks.going to give it a shot in the A.M. will report back results

IP Logged
pann56
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 01/03/11 at 18:42:34

eureka!!!  it works. and may i say it sounds spectacular.  took about 6 months to figure it out. i"m a real novice at this .  thanks everyone for the help.

IP Logged
tybee
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 03/19/11 at 02:25:58

Well, I will add on my experiences with a subwoofer powered by a SS mono amp and a powered crossover. The Mini Torii works well in my system if I do not use 12AT7 or other tubes with higher Mu.  My sub works well with 12AU7 or a 5814 varient, but 12ATs overload the sub using cabling from Mini Torii speaker outputs to the crossover to the sub.  By the way, I have dialed in 50s 5814 CBS Hytrons with the sub and Tung Sol 6x4s for a nice balanced sound.

IP Logged
AsiSan
Verified Member

Reply #35 - 08/04/11 at 21:59:43

I am in the same boat. I am building the exodus anrachy 6.5" tapped horn sub and will use the MCM plate amp, which has a variable phase control.

The line level impedance of the plate amp is reportedly 10K ohms and the mini's manual says the preamp is 1 volt (right?) at max usable volume.

So is there an issue with just running preamp outputs into the sub?
I was also wondering if a line level attenuator would be necessary. But I have not assembled everything yet so I do not yet know.

**Update**
The preamp outputs on the mini are perfect for the input impedance on the MCM plate amp. I set the gain @ 12:00, which seems perfect. I am still experimenting with the variable phase control and sub placement but so far I like it at 90*. Running the mains full range vs. sub/sat is my first choice given that I was merely looking to augment lower octaves without changing overall sound. But I wonder what gains/losses would there be if I ran speaker level to sub's x-over. Is there any perciptable signal degradation to mids and highs when using speaker level inputs and outputs?

« Last Edit: 08/22/11 at 16:17:02 by AsiSan »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print