Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/31/14 at 00:10:02

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ERR Impressions from long time Ohm user (Read 7090 times)
tom collins

Re: ERR Impressions from long time Ohm user
Reply #15 - 10/16/13 at 12:00:53

Well, it looks nice, but if it only protects the tweeter but still sounds like the old err, then it should be very fine.  I am still captivated with the err every time I use them.  I don't need protection, no kids, no jumping pets and the standard covers do fine to keep the dust off when not in use.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #16 - 10/16/13 at 15:42:06

Well...

Have you ever been in town and seen a UPS truck make a turn at an intersection and heard a "boom" from within the truck?  That is why, for the most part the 4 legs have been added.

From the moment the UPS man picks up the ERR's until the time I hear the wine glass ting on my Mac, I was worried that a customer would be calling me telling me that the tweeter and driver on the top was crushed. It has happened, more than I would have liked.

Secondly...both Steve and I hated, and I do mean hated, the grills on the ERR's. They just never looked finished, or at least finished enough to compliment the speakers.

I started working on the new ERR in February, prior to the heart attack and took a few weeks before Decfest to finish them up. I tried at least four different shaped legs some square like they are now with cuts to make them (for the lack of a better term) more aero dynamic. None of them had, or made any improvement, and I couldn't notice any detrimental effects of having the legs in place. Working together with the new radial driver the top plate has been the biggest improvement. Bass response has been improved as well. A new tweeter is in use this time around.

This is what the production ERR looks like.

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 10/16/13 at 15:48:19

That's a fine looking speaker Bob!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #18 - 10/16/13 at 18:38:24

Ditto.  You are justified in feeling like a proud papa.  Still, my wife actually said the std. version looked cool with its tweeter standing proud.  Probably the first compliment from her about a speaker in 20 years.  Of course, it didn't hurt that they were 1/2 the height of my old ones too so it was probably just relief.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 10/16/13 at 18:40:27

That is on my *want* list as well - Nice lookins speakers, Bob. And thanks for the clarification on the legs. I figured you would have tried out different types of legs to determine if they had an auditory impact.

Funny story...way back when in my early days with the Zen amp, I was demoing my highly modified Polk LS-70 with the Zen amp. We had three guys spacing out in the living room, eyes closed, enjoying the tunes...then suddenly the sound stage shifted and there was a moving deadspot in the sound field. All at once we opened our eyes with a palpable WTF! Only to see my cat strolling across the room. We were actually hearing his *shadow* in the soundfield!

It really makes one aware of how much information our ears take in and how our brain notices changes.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 10/16/13 at 20:52:28

Beautiful speaker Bob! Congratulations.

Will

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 10/17/13 at 03:44:08

Wow, real nice!   I do have to admit though ~ I like them better sans the protector legs, but it wouldn't deter me from buying a pair if I had the bucks.  Any word on the co$t of these yet? Cool

« Last Edit: 10/17/13 at 03:45:09 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print