Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/21/14 at 11:48:16

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What capacitor should I use to upgrade sound? (Read 5470 times)
ob2
Verified Member

What capacitor should I use to upgrade sound?
07/12/10 at 19:22:38

I'm thinking about using Sonicap instead of stock capacitor. Is it good?  What value should I choose?

Thanks!

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: What capacitor should I use to upgrade sound?
Reply #1 - 07/13/10 at 02:34:08

ob,

We tried many different brands of cap, I found I liked the ClarityCap the best overall until you got to the ClarityCap MA range $115.00 each or Mundorf silver/oil $79.30 each

Keep the value the same as it is....

Bob Z

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
gagetman0414
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/16/10 at 17:05:56

Bob

Mundorf also have two other caps at a higher cost. Do you think these are worth the extra money or are we just splitting hairs at this point? I think they are called gold/silver and gold/silver/oil. Their costs are $120 & $160 respectively.

Thanks !
Andre

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 07/16/10 at 22:58:11

Andre,

Splitting hairs, maybe, maybe not. It would totally depend on what is upstream from the tweeter, amp, source, media. Its a fine line between getting the most detail, and then going to far only to find there isn't enough media worth listening to.

Then, with that said, if you don't have a very well treated room, any more spent on caps would be a total waste of money You won't be able to hear the difference anyway. Just my opinion.

BobZ

IP Logged
ob2
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 07/24/10 at 07:21:02

Cannot find Claritycap MA series. In stead there is a MR series.

If I replace the cap for ERR, what value should I order? Thanks.

IP Logged
gagetman0414
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 07/24/10 at 14:38:05

I replaced mine last week with mundorf's silver / oil. The value of the cap on my ERR'S are  3.9 uf . I also repaced the resistors with mundorf's audiophile grade resistors. Although I have not had much time to sit and listen, what I heard was even more smoooth. For me the cost of the upgrade was $ 220.00 and was worth it. Keep in mind that great care needs to be taken during installation as these caps are about twice the pysical size as the clarity caps.

Andre

IP Logged
ob2
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 07/24/10 at 18:42:53

Thanks, that is exactly what I'm planning to change. Changing the cap and resistor 3 ohm Mundorf M-Resist Supreme.

IP Logged
ob2
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/06/10 at 16:01:24

Changed using Mundorf silver/oil and Mundorf resistor.

But for male vocal is thin and bass is a bit weak. Does it require long run-in to get the right sound. It is not balance sound after changing.

Thanks.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #8 - 08/07/10 at 02:05:13

ob2, Its  going to take some break in time for them to sound even decent, probably 200 hours it just might start to sound  good.

zygi

IP Logged
gagetman0414
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 08/07/10 at 13:47:14

I found that after switching to the mundorf caps & resistors my ERR's sound slightly smoother initially but they never sounded worse than the clarity caps. I  have about 70 hours on my ERR'S and 25 of those hours on the new resistors and caps. It's nice to know their is room for improvment!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/09/11 at 03:55:59

I plan to try these Mundorf silver/gold/oil when it comes time to upgrade. But with three pair, I will likely take my time.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
decwalex
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 08/23/14 at 18:22:58

Hi,
I have recently purchased a used ERR speaker and like it very much except for a certain recessed, sound that makes instruments and voices sound kind of "hollow". I also have the feeling that the treble sounds grainy. It seems like there is a problem with the frequency balance that I cannot solve by playing around with the different resistors. The low value resistors sound too bright in my room and the 15 Ohm ones sound too dead, but non of them really solves the problem of the recessed midrange and hollow sounding voices and instruments

Speakers and system are in a non acoustically treated living room. Due to WAF the speakers are positioned very close to the back walls in a corner where all the system and the TV is located. I realise this may not be optimal, but I can't change itů

Could a capacitor / resistor upgrade solve this? You mention the Mundorf in this thread, but I have read very positive reviews of the following:

VH AUDIO (V-CAP) TEFLON CAPACITORS
SOLEN TEFLON FEP FILM & FOIL CAPACITORS

Two questions:
Did you try them also and found the Mundorf to be better?
Would a resistor upgrade also help? Which brands should I look for?

Thank you! Smiley

IP Logged
decwalex
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 08/25/14 at 17:46:41

Hi again,

Rereading my previous post I just realised that I may have given a too negative impression about the ERR sound. It is an amazing speaker that images like no other speaker I have heard before. The bass extension is really surprising for such a small enclosure. The ERR really sounds almost  like a "big" full range speaker. The issue about the slightly grainy treble is really due to a desire on my side to make it "perfect". Previously I had a monitor, which obviously was far from full range, but the highs were a little purer and cleaner, that's why I posted my previous message. I am still not sure if this is due to the omnidirectionality of the tweeter which causes that wounderful soundstage but also more reflections from side and rear walls. Perhaps it is a matter of getting used to it.

On the other side, another thing worth mentioning is that for now I am driving the speakers with a solid state amplifier, which does not seem to be the "ideal" for this speaker. I am planning to introduce a tube amp soon. Perhaps that alone improves the quality of the highs enough to make me forget about capacitor upgrades...  :)

Cheers!

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/26/14 at 00:42:05

Hey decwalex,

I upgraded the caps to Mundorf supreme 3.9 and the sound REALLY blossomed.  You must get the speakers away from the wall tho even if you have to listen at low volume and move them after the session.
After consulting with Steve I've got my ERR's just inside a pair of french doors(that slide into wall thankfully so they do not to disturb acoustics) toe'd in slightly and now have have sound flowing through 2 continuous rooms. The listening room is treated and sounds glorious but my bedroom to the rear of the speakers sounds awesome as well with a different yet also fantastic sound.
On my tube amp the Torii III treble adjustments took the most of my energy when making adjustments  so that could be tricky.  Thankfully with the Torii's treble pots its easy to tune to taste.
Good luck,
JD

IP Logged
decwalex
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 08/26/14 at 08:04:45

Hi JD,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Mundorf Caps seem to be a common recommendation on this forum to upgrade the ERR sound.

What is exactly achieved by increasing or decreasing the value of the Cap? If I have understood correctly other threads about this topic here, a higher cap value widens the frequency range that is directed to the tweeter (making it reach lower frequencies). Is that right?

PD: Your sliding doors set up to make it possible to use the speakers in two different rooms is really impressive! What a good idea! I wish I could do something similar at home!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print