Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/25/14 at 21:56:29

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Variable output on the DEC685? (Read 3191 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Variable output on the DEC685?
05/10/10 at 17:59:08

Quote:
Hi Steve, I have enjoyed my Dec SACD a lot but was wondering if there was a way I could turn down the output? I am pretty handy with a soldering iron and would like to try to do it myself if possible:)
Also I noticed a pretty  big cap in there behind the tube socket. I would love to try to try a different cap. It looked to me like all i had to do was unscrew the back plate screws to gain access to the cap. Can you tell me if you think this is doable? What is the value of the cap? Thanx for your help, Taran

Hi Taran,

If you're referring to the Sony 685 SACD player, I don't recommend changing the caps because it's a super tight fit.  That said, the value can be anything between 1 and 4 uf.

To reduce the gain, you'll have to install a 100K audio taper  pot on the output if you can find a place to put it.  

My favorite configuration for that player was to run the player with a ZBOX.  That gives you the 100K audio taper pot so you can adjust the output level, as well as of course the cathode follower.  The combination is fantastic.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Variable output on the DEC685?
Reply #1 - 05/11/10 at 14:33:27

Steve's very right about the DEC685 and ZBOX combo. A really great-sounding combo.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print