Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/01/14 at 15:24:22

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Listening impressions (Read 20510 times)
Evo

Re: Listening impressions
Reply #30 - 05/16/10 at 13:47:55

Thanks Big L. I'm inspired - hope the wife will be too Grin

Good chance these might be your last speakers because if a better driver comes along it should still be an 8" so you should be able to swap drivers over as the hole required should be (fingers crossed) the same size.

Matt

IP Logged
big L
Verified Member

Reply #31 - 05/16/10 at 15:37:23

Yes true and even if it doesn't fit, a very simple replacement baffle could be made . Steve was also ingenious in how he designed the baffle to be removable and replaceable on the Zen OB.

IP Logged
BoilermakerFan
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 06/16/10 at 00:55:00

I downloaded my plans and the cutsheet is off to my custom cabinet builder for a quote in natural oiled bamboo front baffle with figured walnut trim and black piano lacquer finish for the back.  Base will be bamboo, walnut, or black as I have yet to decide.

I'm going with the TB W8-1808s that are off to Planet 10 for enABL'ing and basket mods.  

I can't wait!  

My amps will be a balanced Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold or AudioSector F5 clone.  A future balanced P-P 6V6 is in the planning stage right now.  With strong inspiration from Steve's Mini Torri for grid regulation, an Aikido front end and SuperTriode outputs from Van Der Veen as the primary topology though the Plitron iron allows multiple connection configurations.  I hope to have it done in September.  

« Last Edit: 06/17/10 at 05:00:32 by BoilermakerFan »  
  IP Logged
DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 06/16/10 at 11:35:02

Your project sounds great!  Pictures will be required.

IP Logged
Nelson Bass
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 06/16/10 at 12:12:24

I'm happy that I just used plain MDF for my ZOB build.

I gave my DFR8s a serious burn in and even that I got way more bass and a more smooth midrange I still find the ZOB unbalanced.

The midrange is too pronounced IMO. With a wideband notch filter made with my software based equalizer I can balance the speaker to sound great. But the bass never turns out to be great regarding power and punch. The life size scale is missing in the bass area IME.
My reference is a clone of the Emerald Physics CS2.

I've the feeling that I just got a set of big earphones with the ZOBs...
I've finished the HDTs with alternative tuning and I find that speaker way more balanced than the ZOBs and they have more power in the bass. But still not anywhere near my reference.

I look forward to read about the experiences with the TangBand driver in the ZOB.

IP Logged
big L
Verified Member

Reply #35 - 06/16/10 at 13:38:59

I am awaiting shipment of some Seas X1-08 exotics for the drivers on my ZOB's. I will post impressions as soon as i have them installed in some new baffles. I got a good tip online to use titebond melamine glue as a very high loss adhesive between the two 3/4' sheets of MDF on the front baffle. This will reduce baffle vibration and allow for a clean rock solid launch for the drivers. I also used Medex instead of MDF for the baffle as it is significantly stronger as a driver mounting material than normal MDF. Anyone interested in some brand new almost broken in DFR-8S can contact me.

IP Logged
BoilermakerFan
Verified Member

Reply #36 - 06/17/10 at 04:07:37

big L went BIG!  

I look forward to hearing your impressions with the SEAS, but for now, they're out of my acceptable price range as I have other audio gear I need to build and a set of Audez'e LCD-2 headphones to fund.  

I can't use MDF or even HDF.  It's too full of poisons and the off gassing triggers migraine headaches in my wife, but I was also told that good old Baltic Birch or the bamboo "plywood" would be a better material to use too.  

Would a constrained dampening layer like EAR products between the front bezel layers help or hurt?

I was seriously considering using the bamboo for the front, a EAR constrained dampening layer, and a hardwood (walnut in my case) plywood for the back layer. I'm planning to use brass inserts in the back so I can use bronze hex cap screws to mount the front bezel sealing it with a great felt I use for tuning orthodynamic headphones.  This felt has the best acoustic properties I've ever heard and is very effective and killing the resonances while not sucking the life out of the music like many other felts I've tried tend to do.

If the general opinion is that it will do more harm than good, I'll change the plan, otherwise, I'll carry on.  

The TB has a Xmas of 5mm vs. the Fostex's 1.5mm and the Qts is almost 2 times higher than the FE207 (and 3 times higher than the FE206, which is why the shielded FE207 is working better), so improvements should help load the horn more effectively, but I'm sure some tweaking will be involved.  The upper end of the TB driver is better on paper too.  The enABL'ing process will smooth it out some as well.  

DPC, I'll definitely post pics.  

« Last Edit: 06/17/10 at 04:33:56 by BoilermakerFan »  
  IP Logged
big L
Verified Member

Reply #37 - 06/17/10 at 11:46:57

The Medex I mentioned is a green, formaldehyde free product that when bonded face to face with titebond melamine glue produces an outstanding baffle at a very reasonable price. You could then veneer with any wood you want . Using the titebond melamine makes a very lossy layer between the sandwich which can actually absorb vibration like using an EAR product. Using 2 - 3/4" sheets face to face gives you the strongest, most dense 1.5" thick baffle on earth.

Medex is a "green", super high end, much stronger, version of MDF. It is somewhat harder to find , but is available and for not much more than standard headache causing, weaker MDF.

IP Logged
Evo

Reply #38 - 06/17/10 at 12:26:27

Thanks for the info. Al.

I am potentially interested in those DFR drivers. Can you PM me a price?

Cheers,

Matt

IP Logged
Evo

Reply #39 - 06/17/10 at 12:33:43

big L, sorry to call you Al - not sure what I was thinking there.

Out of interest, what is it like to venear MDF/Medex. I haven't ever tried veneering and I heard it wasn't pleasant or easy. How do you find it? Any tips?

Cheers,

Matt

IP Logged
Evo

Reply #40 - 06/17/10 at 13:00:31

Jeez, I'm having a doozy - Just realised its BoilermakerFan that's selling the drivers - sorry bigL.

IP Logged
big L
Verified Member

Reply #41 - 06/17/10 at 18:18:29

it veneers up easy and beautiful because it is perfectly smooth

IP Logged
BoilermakerFan
Verified Member

Reply #42 - 06/18/10 at 02:32:03

Sorry EVO, not me, but perhaps Nelson Bass.  I'm using the TB W8-1808s.

IP Logged
BoilermakerFan
Verified Member

Reply #43 - 06/18/10 at 02:33:42

Thanks for the Medex info big L.  I'll look into it.  I might use it for the back baffle and rear cabinet.

IP Logged
BoilermakerFan
Verified Member

Reply #44 - 06/20/10 at 17:37:16

A quick update.  My drivers will soon be at Plant 10 for mods and my buddy who makes the custom cabinets is on board to make my cabinets in trade for a good P-P 10W-15W tube amp, so I'm we're trading skills.   Grin

He's going through his stock of old growth figured woods to find nice figured walnut, figured Douglas fir, or figured cherry boards for the front baffles that we'll back with Medex.  

I will fab up the stock ZOB cabinets in drywall and test with the modded TBs.  Then we'll decide if the slots or any other dimensions need to be tweaked.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print