Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/14 at 05:09:43

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
The DECWARE ZEN DAC-1 is HERE! (Read 32455 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: The DECWARE ZEN DAC-1 is HERE!
Reply #30 - 04/12/10 at 20:56:45

wd,

At the end of January Steve talked about developing and offering a tubed power stage in a ZBox style case for use along with the Z-DAC.  He didn't mention it, but perhaps he could add a variable output to that stage. . . .(?)

From this page, post 39

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1249180404/41

"Bottom line is that I have actually been enjoying the upsampling dac by itself with similar satisfaction to what I was getting from the NOS dac with at least both additional stages activated.

So I continue to move forward.  Chassis will be here in another 4 weeks with any luck and then I'll be able to take pictures and make the web page.

I've changed my mind on the BLOCK1, BLOCK2, BLOCK3 naming scheme.  The dac performs so well on it's own, that I don't want to indicate a need for more with it's name.  I called it the ZDAC-1.  This way I can also leave the name of the ZBOX alone.  I'll just do the gain stage and call it the .... something... I'll figure that out at the last minute like I always do.

The thing is, all three components will be the same size and visually match each other.  The ZBOX and the Gain Stage will be optional.  Using the gain stage will simply add a touch of tube joy to the sound and give you control over the dynamics.  The ZBOX will have little effect on dynamics but will relax the presentation and make the system as a whole more forgiving of less than top notch recordings.

-Steve"

« Last Edit: 04/12/10 at 21:08:52 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #31 - 04/16/10 at 18:43:20

Has anyone else received their ZDAC-1 yet ..... ?

From what I understand, at least 9 have been ordered.

Anticipation .....

Randy

CEC TL-2 belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
Decware Model SE84C+ amplifier
Greenvalve Audio Type 10 amplifier
Parker Audio Troll Magnus speakers
"Darth Baffles" OBs - with Hawthorne Augies, Saba Green Cones and Heil AMTs
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #32 - 04/18/10 at 00:32:19

:)  Still seems early for a lot of units to be out there yet to me Randy but I'd LOVE to see some reports.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #33 - 04/24/10 at 14:54:21

I'm excited to try this product out. Smiley I'm sitting here listening to the best sound I've ever heard in my home.  The Sony SCD-XA5400ES is really surprising me week after week as the Torii Mark III broke in, giving out truly dynamic and detailed and yet warm sound. It will be very interesting to compare the analog out of this player with the ZDAC-1 output! (Which should be easy to do as I can set it up so that all I need to do is toggle back and forth between the two on my Zbox with the two input option).

« Last Edit: 04/24/10 at 14:58:43 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #34 - 04/26/10 at 15:37:14

There's been a thread about the ZDAC-1 on the headfi board since the DAC was announced.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/decware-has-released-dac-zdac-1-a-480855/index5...

At first they were going all in the wrong direction about the machine due to the board being sourced from China, but they seem to have been straightened out.

Hopefully there will be some reviews soon!

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #35 - 04/26/10 at 18:18:25

Yep ..... I am heading out for the HornFest on Thursday and then driving up to Michigan for the AK Fest for Saturday and Sunday.

I was hoping to take the DAC-1 for "show and tell" .....

Steve really needs to crawl under the hollow tree and kick his elves in the butt to get them moving a little faster .....

Randy

« Last Edit: 04/26/10 at 18:19:06 by Randy in Caintuck »  

WWW   IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

NIbbelin NFX

Reply #36 - 04/27/10 at 02:25:53

Randy, what is the AK fest in Michigan?

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, home built Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, Klipsch RF-7, SE34.I, Zbox
WWW   IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 04/27/10 at 02:28:46

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #38 - 04/27/10 at 04:05:20

Yep ..... that would be it .....

Randy

WWW   IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

NIbbelin NFX

Reply #39 - 04/28/10 at 00:19:59

Notice from UPS that my Zdac is on the way. I will have to find a way to take back my listening space from my kids.  Been awhile since I have had the amps cookin!  Is a Playstation 3 a good digital source?

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, home built Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, Klipsch RF-7, SE34.I, Zbox
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #40 - 04/28/10 at 12:05:43

I got a shipping notice, but it may be the power cord I ordered?  I didn't get any other notification.

I've no experience with Playstations (would you believe I've never played a videogame or computer game?) but thy have a good reputation as a cd player.

« Last Edit: 04/28/10 at 12:07:21 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #41 - 04/28/10 at 13:24:01

It looks like several shipping notifications have gone out .....

Let the fun begin .....

Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #42 - 04/28/10 at 14:02:33

Yeah, I notice I have to sign for this package due Friday, so it must include the ZDAC-1!

IP Logged
waveydavey
Verified Member

Reply #43 - 04/28/10 at 21:32:31

I totally would have gotten on board on that initial price for the first so many units sold etc, but I was really hoping for a variable output voltage like the ZCD .. I really don't want a preamp, and just want to keep things real simple.. Guess that's my fault for getting the Taboo that needs more to drive it than the others, although it's a great amp and I love it:)

So many systems I see seem to be so complicated with all sorts of cables and interconnects hooking various pieces together, it's just not how I want to go with my system etc..

All that said, it will be really interesting to read all your reports and impressions !!  Exciting indeed!!  :)

« Last Edit: 04/28/10 at 21:34:42 by waveydavey »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #44 - 04/30/10 at 15:15:35

WD, hopefully Steve will weigh in on the possibility of a stiffer output.

I wonder if we'll see a Decware coaxial digital cable.

Steve, do you recommend leaving the ZDAC-1 powered when not in use?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print