Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/14 at 09:23:59

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
The DECWARE ZEN DAC-1 is HERE! (Read 32235 times)
Juan Antonio

Re: The DECWARE ZEN DAC-1 is HERE!
Reply #15 - 03/31/10 at 19:16:54

Very interesting DAC.

In my opinion I'd add the option for a true 75 ohm good BNC connector instead of RCA, Steve, as we know how delicate digital transmission is and RCA is not the answer. And I think using the same gold/teflon RCA line out connector for the coax is essential at least.

Anyway, It must sound terrific for sure. Congrats.

IP Logged
ciphercomplete
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 04/02/10 at 01:20:47

Hey Steve,

Proud owner of the ZCD here.  I was wondering how this DAC compares to it.  The ZCD at times can be devastatingly revealing which sometimes I like and sometimes I don't depending on the recording.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 04/02/10 at 03:27:38

Welcome "CC"!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
waveydavey
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 04/02/10 at 19:25:58

I wish it could of had variable output voltage like the ZCD player, for those of us that need the extra gain, and don't want the added expense and complications of using a preamp.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 04/04/10 at 03:34:35

I'm working my finances around to get this gem; however, I have a few questions here.  When I get this, what should I expect?  I mean, I have two Decware amps, I have Decware loudspeakers and I have Modwright modded Pioneer CDP as a transport.  I also have some Cardas cables that have been burned in for a few years.  Currently, I use a Bel Canto 1.1 DAC.  My system is in a small room but it is set with decent room treatments.

So, what should I expect?  Will this be dramatic?  Different?  Subtle?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #20 - 04/05/10 at 12:56:31

It would be similar to having your Bel Canto Dac 1.1 tweaked with $895 reference audio mods upgrades.

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #21 - 04/06/10 at 13:40:40

Randy wrote:

I'm sure that a lot of the readers of this thread have enjoyed your input . . . .

He's right.

Interesting development notes on this component.

I can't wait to hear this. Smiley

« Last Edit: 04/06/10 at 14:30:11 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #22 - 04/07/10 at 17:25:26

So ...... has anyone received their DAC-1 yet ..... ?

It will be interesting to see what the new owners think about it compared to what they are using now .....  

I can stand anything ..... except waiting for a new piece of audio gear to arrive .....  

Randy

CEC TL-2 belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
Decware Model SE84C+ amplifier
Greenvalve Audio Type 10 amplifier
Parker Audio Troll Magnus speakers
"Darth Baffles" OBs - with Hawthorne Augies, Saba Green Cones and Heil AMTs
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #23 - 04/07/10 at 17:28:18

I hear you Randy, that's the hardest part.

I'm still waiting, I expect to wait a bit as I always do expect to wait when ordering from Decware.  I have prepared for the beast to enter my stables though.  Have  bought a few cables,  have footers and platform etc. all ready to go, a spot all worked out, etc.

I have a feeling I'm going to be very impressed.

« Last Edit: 04/07/10 at 17:28:45 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #24 - 04/07/10 at 19:01:27

Hi Lon,

Yep ..... I have my system set up so that I can change from the DAC-1 to the MHDT Labs Havana and back again in a matter of seconds with everything else remaining the same.

The only unknown quantity at this point is how much burn in time the DAC-1 will need to sound its best ..... you know how spastic capacitors and other components can be .....

Should be some good, clean audio fun .....

Best wishes,

Randy

CEC TL-2 belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
Decware Model SE84C+ amplifier
Greenvalve Audio Type 10 amplifier
Parker Audio Troll Magnus speakers
"Darth Baffles" OBs - with Hawthorne Augies, Saba Green Cones and Heil AMTs
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #25 - 04/07/10 at 22:15:24

A little more preparation was needed on my end as I've not been running a DAC for years and years and so had to address adding that to the system. Works out well though, will share a maple stand and shelf and 4" maple platform side by side with my ZBox.  I'm glad that my ZBox has an added input as well, this will allow me to use the ZBox also for my SACD output from the SCD-XA5400ES. Win win. Best 100 dollars I spent lately has been in adding an input to the ZBox.

The fun I'm looking forward to most is what this may do to my cable DVR.  I love listening to TV through this system, but that DVR is my weakest fidelity link.  I'm absolutely in love with the red book and SACD sound out of my Sony SCD-XA5400ES and if that redbook sound becomes improved that's great; I'll still have the SACD usability as well. And if my exceptional Blu-Ray audio improves, great.  But I think I'll see the most improvement with my TV audio.

I think the transports within both the Sony ES players are very good, and I've been using a "Black Knight" coaxial digital cable elsewhere that I will use here (very good cable) and have a glass optical cable to try.

I know one thing:  the Torii Mark III and the IT Radials are the finest components I've ever owned, and they'll show me what the new DAC is made of, just as they've shown me how good my current sources are on their own.

« Last Edit: 04/08/10 at 13:53:11 by Lon »  

IP Logged
james kao
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 04/08/10 at 05:30:17

greetings all,

i received by zdac-1 earlier today and wanted to share some initial impressions.

first, i listen to music primarily through my macbook pro and itunes software (currently version 9).  i stream music wirelessly to the early version of the airport express (b/g).  prior to installation of my zdac-1, music was sent from the airport express directly to my se84-csp via cardas i-link (mini to rca).  my se84-csp is connected to my se84cs via 1/2 meter decware interconnects.  my speakers are klipsch heresy ii's, and i currently have some version of audioquest speaker wires (i forget the exact nomenclature, they were about $90 on discount).  i understand there are a few weaker links in this setup, but, in general, the music has been very wonderful to my ears over the last two years.

my new stereo configuration has the airport express connected to the zdac-1 via very cheap ($3) mini to toslink cable, and 1/2 meter decware interconnects run between my new zdac-1 to the se84-csp.  everything else remains the same as above.

my digital files run the gamut from mp3, mpeg, aac, aiff, etc.  some of my recordings are very high quality, others are not so high quality.  i listen to a range of music--pop, rock, hip hop, electronic, jazz, reggae, vocals, classical, etc.

in general, my new zdac-1 has added a new layer of genuine clarity to all my recordings which i appreciate very much.  vocals carry a previously unnoticed resonance, new layers of instrumental sounds are discovered in pop/rock/ hip hop/ electronic sounds.  i am hearing a new layer of bass in cannonball adderly's "mercy, mercy, mercy"  as i type this post.  the largest change in sound i have observed so far is in the articulation of orchestral music.  chamber music sounded quite good previously, but orchestral pieces were often buried beneath a thin layer of mush.  the zdac-1 is allowing me to enjoy full orchestral sounds on my humble system.  there is a new speed and snap to everything.  this is absolutely amazing!

the new sounds from my system with the zdac-1 are analogous to the new sounds i hear when i replace worn out output tubes. for my system, the zdac-1 is a tremendous upgrade in sonic clarity.  

one final observation regards the actual weight of my zdac-1.  the zdac-1 feels hefty and well-built, however, it does not weigh the 10 pounds as described on the decware site.  the ups shippping weight including packing materials was 6 pounds.  nonetheless, i honestly believe it is worth its weight in gold.  

IP Logged
DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/08/10 at 11:52:52

Welcome James and thanks for the news we were expecting.

Dennis

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #28 - 04/08/10 at 12:57:12

Welcome James! Thanks for sharing your impressions. Sounds like you're really enjoying the Zen DAC-1.  Can't wait to get mine!

IP Logged
waveydavey
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 04/08/10 at 15:01:33

Steve, is it possible with this new DAC to make it with variable output voltage, or will there be any plans to do so at some point?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print