04/18/14 at 19:34:42

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Torii Mk2 Fuse (Read 10300 times)
BLFST

Re: Torii Mk2 Fuse
Reply #30 - 01/23/10 at 01:17:58

Glad your tubes are on the way.  

I havn't ordered tubes too often befroe, but when I did, I ordered either from the TubeDepot, or from thetubestore.  Both have seemed pretty honest to me and straight forward to me.  Both carry current production tubes as well as NOS.  I have a few other sources bookmarked, but primarily for informational purposes only.  The outlet that I just located for NOS tubes is Vintage Tube Services.  If you run a search on any of the sources that I mentioned, I am sure that you will locate them.

I am running Sventlana EL34 tubes.  They are the only power tubes that I have used.  My Rogue Cronus integrated amp (the one that preceded the torri) came with these tubes, as did the Torrii.  I have been very happy with them although I did have a failure of one in the Cronus after only a hundred hours or so, and I had an issue with one tube on the Torri when I first got it.  I have been trying to decide what to get as a spare quad for the Torrii, and my indecesion is the primary reason that I started with the input tubes.  I will be sticking with EL34 tubes whatever brand  I decide on however.

I just reread your post and I see you asked about fuses and not tubes (sorry).  I got mine from Radio Shack.  I am in rural montana and the store that I got my replacements for only had two packs of 5amp 125volt fuses, so your local store may or maynot have them.  Look at them carefully, as the store clerk was going to sell me the 250volt fuses instead.

Did you get your Torri used, or straight from Decware.  I didn't think that Decware provided KT88's for their amps, although I do know that you can use them.  I would like to hear a quad installed in mine, but I am not going to go through the expense of trying them.

bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #31 - 01/23/10 at 01:51:57

Neil, if your amp has the "Christmas Comes Early Mod" you really want to use EL34s (that doesn't work with KT88s, you won't get the benefit) .  The SED (formerly Svetlana, I think that is what Bill has) EL34s (called "Winged C") are excellent.  I also have really enjoyed the "Mullard Reissue" EL34 tubes.  I was skeptical about these because someone whose ears I trust was very doubtful they would be good, but I found a pair cheaply to use in my SE34 Monoblocks and discovered they are quite nice, and use those in my Integrated in my bedroom system.

I haven't gotten fuses anywhere yet but from Decware and Radio Shack.

« Last Edit: 01/23/10 at 01:52:57 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
nsj

Reply #32 - 01/23/10 at 02:37:59

Bill,

I ordered from TubeDepot as well. I was just curious. I will check Radio Shack for the fuses.

My Torii was/is used, but, it was sent from Decware with all of the tubes as part of the deal.

Lon,

My amp does have the CCE mod, as that was ALSO part of the asking price. What is strange, then, is that the amp came with KT88's instead of EL34's. My guess is that the KT88's were what the previous owner had left over and they were just thrown into the deal...THAT means that there is improved sound out there for my amp by using EL34's?!!!!!

I can't believe that it could sound any better than it does already  :D

WWW   IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #33 - 01/23/10 at 03:28:30

Lon,

I actually have the Svetlana reissues, they are not the "SED Winged C".  I think that they are made at the same russian plant.

The SED Winged C's are actually one of the two brands that I have been considering as spare.  The other is the new Tung-Sol EL34's.  I did see in older posts that you tried the Tung-Sols, but finally decided on the Winged C's.  I havn't made up my mind yet as to what I am getting.

bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #34 - 01/23/10 at 03:59:12

The Winged Cs are not really the same tube as the Svetlana. . . I've used both and think the Winged Cs are the better tube. The Tung Sols, it's funny, because I've used vintage Tung Sols and the reissues, and they're just a bit dull and thick sounding for me. But worth trying in your system.

Neil, you do have an option for a different sound. It's been a long time since I've heard an amp with kT88s but I think the EL34s will make a different amp out of the Torii.  I'd definitely try it since you have the "mod."

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #35 - 01/23/10 at 04:05:51

Lon - your earlier post to Neil on my Torri probably having the Winged C's got me thinking.  I mentioned that I had some problems with the power tubes when I first got the Torri.  Well, I thought that they were the same that I had in my Rogue Cronus, so I just swapped them out and then forgot it.  I just went and checked the tubes in the Cronus, and yes, they were in fact Winged C's.  I am going to take them to the guy in the neighboring city that I found that has a tube tester and have them looked at.  They only have about 10 hours on them.  If they are in fact good, I will place them back into the Torri and give them a try.  Part of my initial problem with the tubes had more to do with one of the OA3 tubes, so the Winged C's might actually be good.  Your post may have saved me some money, as well as giving me back a better tube.

bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #36 - 01/23/10 at 13:12:18

:)

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #37 - 01/23/10 at 16:51:18

Lon,

I know what I will be getting for my birthday in April...

Bill,

For future reference, I found another comparable tube supplier in San Diego: boiaudioworks.com. If you are in Montana, the shipping might be more quick from these guys. Prices are similar to TubeDepot.

WWW   IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #38 - 01/23/10 at 20:26:20

nsj - thanks for the info.  BioAudioWorks is one of the sites that I have bookmarked for informational purposes only.  When I initially came across their site a month or so ago, I was looking for info on the new Tung-Sol EL34 tubes.  They had good things to say about them, and that they would be doing a review in the near future.  They ALSO state that they answer email questions 24/7.  Well, I emailed them asking how the review was going.  I have yet to hear back from them.  Because of that, they will NEVER get any buisness from me.

On another note, I reinstalled the SED Winged C's this morning.  I will pass along my initial impressions a little later.

bill

IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #39 - 01/24/10 at 22:11:33

I have listened to the SED tubes for about 6 hours since yesterday when I reinstalled them.  Even though the SED's have limited hours on them as compared to the 300-400 hours on the Sventlana's, I will be leaving the SED's in place.  

My ears don't pick up much of a difference in soundstaging or imaging.  I had thought that the Sventlanas had a good tonal balance, but when compared to the SED's, it would appear that they were a little lean in the bass regions, but the difference is pretty subtle.

The major difference is in bass articulation.  I sometimes have troubles identifing bass instrumetation with some music, but with the SED's, I can now hear the bass as seperate and individual instruments.

Looks like I won't have to look for a spare set of power tubes now unless I get around to selling the Rogue Cronus, then I will have to get a quad to place back into it.

bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #40 - 01/24/10 at 22:56:03

Glad that you found improvement!

I like those tubes, great stuff.

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #41 - 01/25/10 at 01:18:50

Bill/Lon,

Given 2 such endorsements, the Winged C's are on my list. I can't wait to hear the EL34's with the CCE mod. I am moving down on the speaker list as well. With any luck I will have the ERR's in a few weeks!

WWW   IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #42 - 02/02/10 at 23:08:56

Well, as I indicated a couple of weeks back, I ordered and today, received, a pair of RCA 5U4-G rectifier tubes to replace the stock 5Y3 tubes in my Torri MKII.  I have just over two hours of listening to the tubes so far.  Much to my surprise, I noted a marked improvement already.  First off, the new tubes allow the OA3 tubes to power up within a second or two, not the 15 seconds as with the 5Y3 tubes (this really dosn't conern me much, however).  Second, the noise level has dropped off signifcantly.  Sometime since I first received the Torri, I picked up a hum.  It is apparent in both channels when up close to the speakers, esp the left channel.  The hum was barely audiible from my listening position, so it didn't bother me too  much.  With the new tubes, the right channel is now almost hum free, while there is still a barely audible hum from the left channel.  Neither channel hum is discernable from my listening position.  Third, the music presentation is now much "cleaner".  This could be a result of lower hum, but I think that it is much more than that.  The music now has much more "punch" than before.  Hard to tell for certain, but I believe that I also have better defined imaging from before.

Complety happy with the new tubes!

bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #43 - 02/02/10 at 23:26:22

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #44 - 02/11/10 at 01:08:07

nsj - havn't heard from you in awhile.  Just curious if you have solved your blown fuse situation yet, and if you have installed any new tubes yet.

bill

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print