Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Torii Mk2 Fuse
Reply #15 - 01/12/10 at 12:12:00

It does seem as if that rectifier tube has gone bad and is taking the fuse out.  Fuses should be easy to find at Radio Shack.

Steve would be your best bet for a definitie answer; you may wish to call him.  

Sorry to read this; hope the wait is not too long.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/12/10 at 12:35:26

My head amp had the rectifier socket loose; that took down 2 rectifiers and 2 fuses. Then Steve replaced the rectifier socket and I did not have that trouble again.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #17 - 01/12/10 at 20:47:33

Thanks for your replies.  I found the fuses at a Radio Shack in the adjoining city (40 miles), and put one in.  I also stripped the ZP3 phono stage of its recitifier tube and and OA3 and put them in the Torrii (my Torrii shipped with 5Y3GT tubes).  With trepitation, I powered up.  Fortunately, everything seems to work alright.  I am out my phono stage until new tubes arrive, but at least I can use the CD player in the interim.

I also thought that I got lucky when I found a television repair shop in a small community some 70 miles from here.  When I called him, he told me that he could check all my tubes but that his buddy has had his tester for months now.  He is going to try to get later this week, and then I can test all the tubes from the left channel.  After reading an old post from Rivieraranch on JJ6922 tubes frying and taking some other tubes with it, I am concerned if my recent change to these same tubes in the input stage may have caused the problem.  Until I have the tubes tested, I replaced with the tubes that shipped with the Torrii.

Thanks again.

bill

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #18 - 01/12/10 at 21:24:35

OK, this is weird, because I just had a similar experience to Bill's. I just received my Decware interconnects moments ago. I plugged them into the amp and cd player and no sound at all?

I re-plugged the old interconnects in and powered up. Just like Bill, my left side 5Y3GT rectifier tube lit up like a Christmas tree and then settled down. I now have sound through the old interconnects?

So, what is going on here? Could the Decware IC's be defective?

Anyone?

WWW   IP Logged
nsj

Reply #19 - 01/12/10 at 22:08:03

Oooops,

OK, I figured out the problem with the IC's (wrong hole) Embarrassed

The tube is still a mystery...

WWW   IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #20 - 01/12/10 at 22:21:07

nsj - don't you just hate it when something happens, and you don't know what caused it?  Drives me crazy!  Glad everything on your end is up and running again.  I wish that I knew what caused my tubes to go.  If it was just premature failure on one tube, I can live with that.  But if there is another underlying problem, I would also like to know what it is.

bill

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #21 - 01/12/10 at 22:31:36

Bill,

I know what you mean. In my case, the amp will run, but every time I power it up now I get the fireworks out of the left side, which scares me a bit.

I have shut it down and ordered a new rectifier tube, so I guess that we are both watching TV or reading for a while...

I wonder if the tube was starting to go bad and that's what caused my initial blown fuse. Then again, I probably have less than 30 hours on these tubes and I'm sure that Decware checked them before shipping.

It's a mystery.

Neil

WWW   IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #22 - 01/20/10 at 21:32:18

Well, I am up and running again.  Got my replacement tubes yesterday and got them into the ZP3.  Got my tubes that I was concerned with tested today, and got them installed back into the Torrii MKII.  Everything seems to be working just fine.  The root of all my problems MUST have been a catastropic failure of eithe the 5Y3GT or the OA3, I wish that I knew for sure.  Anyway, it is good to be spinning vinyl again.

bill

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #23 - 01/20/10 at 21:39:01

Bill,

I'm glad to hear that you are back up. I'm pretty sure that my bad rectifier tube (also a 5Y3GT) is what caused my initial problem with the blown fuse. The tube was arching like crazy. I am still waiting to hear back from Sarah regarding a replacement tube. I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that the tubes are guaranteed for 90 days?

WWW   IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #24 - 01/21/10 at 23:13:29

Neil,

While you are waiting to hear about whether or not Decware will provide a replacement tube, I would recommend purchasing another just the same.  That way, you will have a spare around once you get the replacement.  I was just starting to do that (started with the longer lived tubes - go figure) when my system went down.  When I ordered the replacement tubes, I only got one rectifier tube as a spare (I will use that for the ZP3 phono stage).  I am trying to decide what to get as spares for the Torri.  I am thinking of getting a pair of 5U4 rectifiers, but am having trouble on deciding on which brand.  Am looking at Electro-Harmonix or JJ tubes.

bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #25 - 01/22/10 at 01:38:42

I recommend looking for RCA 5U4s.  I have a pair in my Mark II and they are wonderful.  I've had really good luck with RCA rectifiers, both sonically and with regards to stability and reliability.  And usually they are not too expensive.  I tend to go for the "non coke bottle" variety.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #26 - 01/22/10 at 05:15:55

Thanks for your recommendation Lon.  Although I had read where they were great tubes, I really didn't think that I wanted to go NOS for various reasons, one of which was the cost.  Then earlier this evening I saw a reference to a tube dealer that I had been unaware of while surfing the WWW.  When I checked the site, I discovered that they had very reasonable prices and had quite a selection of RCA tubes listed.  I will probably talk to him next week and may order a couple of his tubes.

Will let you know what I decide to do.

bill

IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #27 - 01/22/10 at 17:25:21

Well, I ordered a set of RCA 5U4-G's this morning.  I paid what I thought a very reasonable price (especially given the prices I see from other vendors online).  I originally had planned on getting the strait sided tubes, but opted for the coke bottle design at the last moment.  IF I like these tubes, I will order another set for spares (but will get the straight side instead).  Will let you know when I get them in and get some time on them.

bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #28 - 01/22/10 at 18:58:05

Great Bill!  I predict you'll like them.

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #29 - 01/22/10 at 23:47:19

Bill/Lon,

I took your advice and ordered a new 5Y3GT. Then I heard from Sarah today and Decware is out of them, so they are sending me a 5U4G instead. I assume that the tubes must match from side to side, so I guess that I will order one more 5U4G and then I will have a spare set or a rolling set.

2 questions for you guys: Where do you order fuses from? What type of output tubes are you using? My Torii Mk2 came with KT88's. I have not heard anything else.

Neil

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print