07/24/14 at 07:31:00

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Torii Mk2 Fuse (Read 11029 times)
nsj

Torii Mk2 Fuse
01/09/10 at 17:34:29

Hello all,

Before I pose my question, I must say that I am truly enjoying my Torii Mk2 amp. It is without a doubt, the sweetest-sounding amp I have ever heard!

Now to my question: Last night, while listening to Les McCann & Eddie Harris Live at Montreux, the Torii suddenly went black - all lights out. As I suspected, the fuse had blown. I replaced the fuse with the spare and the amp fired right back up again. What is the likely cause of the blown fuse? I have the amp plugged into a surge protector, so a power surge cannot be the problem, unless I am missing something. Has anyone had this experience?

Thanks,

Neil

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Torii Mk2 Fuse
Reply #1 - 01/10/10 at 00:21:10

It was Eddie Harris.  He was always pulling crap like that.

:)

Don't know. . . it probably isn't something to worry about. . . . Just have another spare fuse.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
nsj

Reply #2 - 01/10/10 at 00:41:10

Hey Lon,

I hope that you are having a good weekend, waiting and dreaming about your new Torii Mk3 and ERR's...

Thanks for your reply. Do you use a surge protector with your equipment?

Neil

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3 - 01/10/10 at 01:53:42

Yes.  I used to use a PS Audio Power Plant, the first one they made, but it gave out on me about three years ago or so.

Now I have two isolation transformers and two PS Audio "Duet" power strips with surge protection, one each for analog and digital components.

I think my Torii Mark III and ERRs are too far out for me to start dreaming about. . . would be frustrating.  I'll wait before I start dreaming of them. Weekend is going okay. . . Had lunch with my lovely girlfriend and a friend of ours, but then she went to the office (she works too hard all the time, she has an important job) and so I've been playing my Stratocasters and my basses and calling her up to annoy her into leaving (she finally just left and is on the way over) and right now I'm watching Allen Toussant on Austic City Limits.  Sounds really good coming through the system.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/10/10 at 16:54:07

You might want to check all the sockets and all that. I had a unit that did that.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
nsj

Reply #5 - 01/10/10 at 17:06:36

Hi RR,

That's a good suggestion. What is strange is that when the Torii tripped its fuse, the CD player was not effected, it was still powered up and playing. So, whatever happened, it was the Torii alone that was impacted...

I guess that fuses do fail once in a while. Perhaps the fuse was original, and this IS a used amp.

Neil

WWW   IP Logged
nsj

Reply #6 - 01/10/10 at 17:08:10

Lon,

Out of curiosity, did you order the new Torii Mk3 with the modern base, or the ornate base?

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #7 - 01/10/10 at 17:36:52

Neil, I ordered it with the hardwood walnut base.

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #8 - 01/10/10 at 17:44:32

Beautiful! That is what I would order as well. I do like the cool Decware cut out that glows red on the Mk2; I don't think that the Mk3 has that...

WWW   IP Logged
DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/10/10 at 18:15:19

The Mark III does not have the cool cutout.

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #10 - 01/10/10 at 19:53:19

DPC,

That's too bad, it's a really nice detail. I also really like the way that the tubes reflect off of the black chassis of my Mk2, something that the white chassis probably doesn't provide as well. I really do like the new Walnut base that Steve/Bob are building. Now a Walnut base with a black or clear-finished, burnished chassis, and the Decware cut out THAT would be kickass!

WWW   IP Logged
DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/11/10 at 11:46:00

The "Decware" cutout had to be eliminated as that space is now used for additional tubes.  I had Bob Z. build me a custom walnut base to match my other components.  Looks very professional!

dennis

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #12 - 01/11/10 at 15:51:34

Probably because Bob is an, er, Professional!! Grin
I'll bet it looks (and sounds) great!
Best, Don

Decware SE34I w/ CCE mod, ZCD, Heybrook/Linn/Clearaudio, Hagerman,
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #13 - 01/12/10 at 03:40:30

Can't believe it, but after 6 months of heavy listening, my Torri MK II apparently blew a fuse this evening.  I just went in to power up for an evening of listening, and nothing.  Everything else works fine and it all goes into a Furman Power Condtioner/Surge Protector.

My question - how do I get to the fuse?  I thought that I just had to snap the little cover off, but it won't budge.  I must be missing something.

bill

IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #14 - 01/12/10 at 04:03:53

Never mind my previous post, I just figured out how to get the fuse out.  I replaced it with the spare in the unit, and then plugged it in.  Figuring that I was now good to go, I turned the unilt on.  The right side powered up as normal, but it took the left side OA3 tube a little longer to light up than usual.  When it did, if flickered briefly (had never done this before), then the rectifier tube lit up brightly (looked like it fried), then the unit went dead again.  I know I blew the new fuse, but I am curious about the tubes.  I don't have a spare rectifier tube on hand, and only have a used OA3 that I replaced when I bought a new one for my ZP3.  Does the OA3 flickering indicate that it probably fried the rectifier tube?  Any comments will be appreciated.  I will have to order new tubes tomorrow, and locate new fuses I hope locally.  Looks like I am watching TV for a week or so.

bill

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print