Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/02/14 at 10:22:53

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What should I replace the stock ^N1p-EV with ? (Read 13634 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: What should I replace the stock ^N1p-EV with ?
Reply #30 - 09/02/12 at 12:48:06

To be honest, the cryo'd tubes I most value and have used the most, the "super cryo'd" tubes from cryoset.com, I may enjoy so much because of the choice of the tube itself. They certainly are a type/brand of 6N1P I haven't had in a non-cryo'd version, so I can't really make direct comparisons.

I do think there may be some improvement from the process that shows up as sonic benefit. I have an open mind about it. One benefit I do think more than probable is longevity. Several sets of cryo'd tubes I have seem to have lasted longer than non-cryo'd versions. I want to say that there are slight tonal improvements in cryo'd versions too, but they're not huge if they're not imagined. . . . .

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #31 - 09/02/12 at 14:36:09

Wouldn't the heating of the tube undo what the Cryo had done? That is what we found when we tested cryo'd tools a couple of years back. It seems to holp things that don't get heat dumped back into them, but add heat.......

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #32 - 09/02/12 at 15:20:44

I don't think so Donnie. At least let me put it this way: there doesn't seem to be audible changes along those lines.

I'm not a scientist, but my reading along the lines of cryogenics makes me think that is not the case.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 09/07/12 at 23:41:30

why dont we pose that question to cryoset?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #34 - 09/08/12 at 13:42:53

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 09/09/12 at 12:01:08

Yes Lon ,I did that and its said its a permanent thing,so this guy will have to try them ,at least with a input tube or a rectifier. thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #36 - 09/09/12 at 15:15:47

Cool. If you're using 6N1P tubes, cryoset.com's super cryo'd version is an excellent tube.

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 09/14/12 at 10:54:48

i do understand  Donnies theory though , being a weldor of 38 years does make me wonder. heat definately does change certain metals like stainless steel and copper.. if you hear that difference is another matter. or how much that would change over time. the metals used for the different components of a tube  seems to be a deciding factor of how it sounds though,ie. greyplate vs blackplate. just a coating or a different metal????? welded componenets vs crimped, gold pins vs steel ones, microphonics. are there any metalurgist in the house? I'm going to try those tubes..........

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #38 - 09/14/12 at 12:26:08

Yes, but what is the temperature differential between that of operation in a vacuum tube and arc welding?

I really doubt that the temperature in tube use would re-alter the crystal structure. May be wrong.

Again, my favorite cryo'd tube I haven't used in a non-cryo'd version and I may appreciate this tube for its natural qualities despite/beyond any changes from the process. But I tend to believe what I've read about the cryo process.

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 10/02/12 at 14:12:19

yes lon The arc welding actually breaks down the metal. so dont think the tube will get hot enough , two different entities. the question is though , what should you replace the 6n1p-ev with ?  Well a 6n1p. i have a whole shelf of 6dj8's and 6922, and even 6n23p to proove it. that my final answer.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #40 - 10/02/12 at 14:45:39

I'm sold on the 6N1P as well. I've decided not to stray from it. Great tube in these circuits.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print