Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/25/14 at 20:54:34

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What should I replace the stock ^N1p-EV with ? (Read 15009 times)
davewhit58
Verified Member

What should I replace the stock ^N1p-EV with ?
01/05/10 at 18:08:27

I have an EH 6992 gold pins would that be better ? and what should I fit to better that ?

thanks in advance

Chord One CD Player Magnum Dynalab 90T FM Tuner Tannoy Glenair 15 inch Decware SE84C+ SET Amp
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: What should I replace the stock ^N1p-EV with ?
Reply #1 - 01/06/10 at 01:35:24

Try the EH and see how it sounds. The gold pin version is not different from the steel pin version though. It is a good, quiet tube, however. I would not trust a JJ; I have been burned too many times with these. Don't get hung up on exotic 6922 variants; if you do you will have more invested in tubes than in the gear. If the EH gold pin doesn't glitter, then try a JAN Sylvania 6922 or 7308.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
davewhit58
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/06/10 at 10:08:18

thanks for that have picked up a mullard   Smiley

Chord One CD Player Magnum Dynalab 90T FM Tuner Tannoy Glenair 15 inch Decware SE84C+ SET Amp
  IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #3 - 01/06/10 at 16:56:17

Rivieraranch - wished I had seen your post earlier.  I have been trying to decide on replacement tubes (not so much for the sake of rolling, but I want a spare set of tubes around in event of failure and thought that I would try something other than what came stock with the Torrii MKII).  Anyway, I decided to give JJ a try and ordreed a matched set.  Hope I don't have the problems you have had in the past with them.  Also, I noted on a seperate forum that you had been inquiring in the 6N23P awhile back.  I too had seen these listed and was curious about them.  Did you ever order a set, and if so, what did you think?

thanks.

bill

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/07/10 at 03:32:25

I hope you ordered from somebody such as Jim McShane, who will test the tubes competently before he sends them. Oh well. Try them out. I am sure JJ makes more good than bad; just their failure rate seems high. The power tubes that JJ makes are better than their small signal tubes. I have a JJ 6922 pair and an EH 6922 in my office CSP2 unit. These tubes are fine and have lasted around a year so far.

The 6N23P-EV if I am not mistaken is the same as the Electro Harmonix 6922. These are regarded as very quiet. That is why they are recommended for that input position. The EH 6922 I have in my home CSP2 is microphonic but that does not seem to be a problem.

I never bought any 6N23P-EV tubes because the prices seemed ridiculous. I am over the 6922 bug. I have had a Mullard 6DJ8, Seimens PCC88 but I sold all of them. The 6DJ8 is simply not an optimum sound and something was just not right with the PCC88.

Going forward I am sticking with the JJ E88CC (6922) the EH 6922; maybe some JAN Sylvanias 6922's and 7308's I have accumulated; but nothing made after the mid-1970's.  The Phillips "last gasp" 6922 tube production was just not very good. I have personally encountered a lot of dead and dying ones.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Lacee
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 05/28/11 at 17:13:27

I recently inserted an older Seimans gold pin 6922,in the hope of lessening a bit of hum.

The hum seems a bit weker, but so is the bass impact.

But that's not too big an issue, because in the bargain I've gained less background hash and more clarity in the mids and treble.
A bit of glaze that was there that I never really felt was too bad, is now MIA.

I've got another old Sovtek 6922 from an old Audible Illusions pre amp frm back in the early 90's that I may try next.

I've also got 3 more of Seimans gold pins.

But I think before I do anymore tube rolling, I'll just rediscover my amp for awhile.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #6 - 05/28/11 at 17:51:28

Good ieda.  I find it really takes 100 hours or more to truly evaluate all the paramters of a tube/get a new one to break in.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
bladesmith
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 06/07/11 at 10:21:16

Sorry to chime in here. I use the Siemens e88cc "A" frame in my se34I. This is a very good tube that is similar if not better than a telefunken. It just depends on what you like. I also recently bought a pair of mid 80's Philips ECG Jan 6922 tubes for spares which very reasonable (20). These are NOS and boxed, the sound is very good given the fact they are not even run in yet. I would say the mid 80's Philips ECG is a good alternative to a modern tube. But this is only my opinion and as I said the tube has not done the 100 hours yet.

Cheers,
Richard.

« Last Edit: 06/07/11 at 10:22:45 by bladesmith »  
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/07/11 at 18:17:47

Quote:
I never bought any 6N23P-EV tubes because the prices seemed ridiculous. I am over the 6922 bug. I have had a Mullard 6DJ8, Seimens PCC88 but I sold all of them. The 6DJ8 is simply not an optimum sound and something was just not right with the PCC88.

Not sure what brands or vintages you might have been referencing RR, but I did notice that the 6N23P-EV can be had fairly reasonably. Cryoset has them at $24, which could add up fast and seems to be on the high end, but I noticed on fleabay that they can be as low as $8. This lot is about $14 apiece. Wink

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/07/11 at 22:40:50

Funny you should mention that. I have been thinking of ordering some 6N15P-EV tubes from the Siberian Market people who list on ebay. They also sell the 6N23P-EV as well. The prices are not ridiculous for these. They are on par with new Electro Harmonix 6922, which is for all intents and purposes the same tube.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #10 - 07/07/11 at 23:57:44

I bought those Reflektor 6N23P-EV tubes from cryoset, and gave them a long chance in the Torii, and while stunning on some material, ultimately it was too crisp and tart for me. I like a more forgiving tube for use with all my material, and that one wasn't it.

I put them into my second Torii, the Mk II in my bedroom system. There less than ideal placement makes the system a bit too warm, and so far they're working well to ameliorate that.

I guess I'm not recommending 6N23P-EV unless you really like a lot of air and a far from a romantic sound (as Gopher uses the term, a use I agree with and a sound I like).

« Last Edit: 07/07/11 at 23:58:07 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lacee
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 07/24/11 at 01:00:30

I took the Seimans 6922 out and put the DecWare supplied tube back in.
I think the siemans may have been long in the tooth,some day I'll get a tube tester.

Anyway I have regained the added weight in the bass.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #12 - 07/24/11 at 01:23:13

Full circle!

I've just got to have a 6N1P in my Torii, it's the tube type I keep coming back to. If I were using analog sources I think a 6922 might work, but with digital sources I find the 6N1P has the warmth and just a tad of smoothness most of my cds need.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #13 - 07/24/11 at 23:45:35

Lon

I agree, I'm sold on the 6n1p. I've stopped trying other types, the 6n1p is the one I've settled in on.

Dan

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 07/25/11 at 16:22:28

Well, on these enthusiastic recommendations, I will keep my stock tubes close at hand.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print