Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/30/14 at 15:48:33

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Ordered a Mark III, yes I'm insane (Read 16747 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Ordered a Mark III, yes I'm insane
Reply #75 - 04/24/10 at 20:12:05

Hey Will,

Yes, it really is a close call between the two impedance positions, and each has their plus!  For the video portion of my system the rear is predominantly the best, the choice is not that clear for the cd player.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #76 - 04/24/10 at 20:28:29

And rolling tubes did sort of drive me crazy for a few years especially with the ZCD and the ZBox when both were in the system. So I'm steering clear of that for a while.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 04/25/10 at 02:48:04

I hear you. Though I love most of the 6N1P, I have just never been fully convinced by it, and I can't get around the seductive clarity of the 6N23P's. But then there is the the whole balancing act, which for me also opens what are probably too many options at times. Especially since Steve has great ears and designed the amp with its particular tube set, I see your point completely. I guess I am stuck in tweaker land for now though as I refine my room and system, and one change leads to others, causing me to retry different tubes and tube sets as all gets better. But this is good for now as I am recovering from a fairly intense knee surgery and music and my system are my greatest relief from that. I am having fun!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 04/26/10 at 02:39:34

That said,  I really like all the tubes I have tried in this amp, including the stock set...each having their own merit. So hanging with the base line can't go wrong!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #79 - 04/26/10 at 03:20:32

Well, the 6N1Ps are cryo'd and I'm using RCA 5U4Gs that came in the Mark II that I bought from Bob, they're awesome tubes.  So not entirely stock.

I'm getting sound right now I don't want to mess with beyond getting the Decware "source" DAC and seeing what that does. Smiley

I'm more happy with the Mark III than I expected to be. Every day is a listening experience.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 04/28/10 at 19:56:55

I am really glad the Mk III is doing what you love. Ah the beauty of being absorbed by the MUSIC. And yes, those tubes could potentially shift things pretty far from stock. Thanks for the heads up, I misunderstood or misinterpreted.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #81 - 04/28/10 at 20:28:22

I'm really enjoying the amp, that's for sure.

I have been realizing lately that my system now is what I really envisioned having as a sort of dream system twelve years ago.  I've learned a lot, Decware products have grown a lot, and I have a great system to enjoy the far too many recordings I have.

And by the weekend, the ZDAC-1 should be on hand.  That'll be a shot in the arm or something!

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #82 - 05/01/10 at 01:27:34

Lon,

You are at it again with the DAC huh, LOL. I finally heard my Mark II with the CCE mod (or more accurately CCL mod for me) and the Winged "C" EL34's last night. All I can say is WOW! So warm and rich sounding compared to the already excellent KT88's I was using previously. How much of what I am experiencing is mod vs tube?

There is a question on the Torii Mk II Forum that you might be able to answer for DaveK.

Enjoy the Mk III!  :)

Neil

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #83 - 05/01/10 at 14:56:42

Neil, I haven't used KT88s in any of my Toriis so it's just a guess, but I'd say maybe 70% of the perceived improvement is due to the mod(?)

The important thing is that the sound is knocking you out.  I had a great killer sound going and now the ZDAC-1 is here and it's back to the drawing board!  The ZDAC-1 has a fantastic sound that is now proving to be very different than what I was listening to and I have lots of speaker positioning, treble cut control positioning, etc. to go through!

« Last Edit: 05/01/10 at 14:58:27 by Lon »  

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #84 - 05/01/10 at 16:42:23

Lon,

The sound is knocking me out. What source are you using with the DAC? How would you describe what the DAC does to the sound???

Neil

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #85 - 05/01/10 at 16:55:47

Neil, it's early and I don't want to say too much.

I'm using the coaxial outs of my Sony SCD-XA5400ES and my Sony BDP-S2000ES and the optical out of my cable company's Scientific Atlanta DVR as sources. The sound that is most improved is the DVR.  However, oddly the ZCAC-1 has a slightly less voltage output than the analog out of the DVR and I was hoping for a volume boost at the "widest" setting in audio range, and not a slight reduction.

The character of the ZDAC-1 is a lot like the ZCD's in many ways, which is not necessarily a great thing for ME who has never warmed up that unit as a source.  But there is definitely more dynamics and a bit more warmth so far with the ZDAC-1. I have to say that it's different than the sound of my Sonys in a more dynamic, leaner fashion. If the ZDAC-1 doesn't change much in the next weeks, I may not say that there's a lot of improvement overall in my system.  We'll see.  I am entering into the ZDAC-1 evaluation period very happy with my sources the months beforehand.

I've had to totally relocate my speakers back into the rear of the room in order to come close to the low end sond and feel of the analog outs of the source components. Which is a bit unsettling for a guy who has lived with his speakers well out into the room for some years.

« Last Edit: 05/01/10 at 21:30:22 by Lon »  

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #86 - 05/01/10 at 17:05:00

Lon,

Thanks, very interesting. My next planned purchase is still the ZCDi unless something changes. Keep us posted!

Neil

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 05/02/10 at 06:06:28

Lon,

In looking at the internal pic of the ZDAC-1 Steve posted
http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1269827547/all
it looks like there are a number of caps needing seating. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after a week or so.

I have finally found some seriously blissful moments with my MKIII. In order to balance the bass, it took a bunch of tweaks to both the room and to my MG944's. At this point in the solution, probably equal weight to each, and the fine tuning goes on....but there are those extremely satisfying states of absorption in the music as I find synergy with this beautiful amp. Lot's of interesting learning too!

My Rega Apollo and Decware IC front end, and how they play with the MKIII and MG's could possibly be a player in the low end weirdness I had to deal with...who knows, but my ZDAC-1 is coming soon, and as with you, I suspect that will set up a whole new balance. I look forward to hearing the front end comparison!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #88 - 05/02/10 at 13:07:24

It's incredibly interesting how with the level of transparency available with the Mark III you can sense the effects of even small changes.  A bit unsettling if you obsess over it, but you can really fine tune a system.

I agree Will:  that power supply looks as if it will definitely respond with changed sonics due to a burn in period.

Yesterday I'd have to say the SCD-XA5400ES won out over the ZDAC.  When I'd compare, toggling back and forth with the ZBox, the Sony just had more warmth and more refined sound, a very integrated and clear sound.  In comparison the ZDAC had a huge sound that lacked the warmth and coherence of the Sony, to a degree.  A fascinating whirlpool of sound though, that was cohering gradually through the day.  I'm very impressed that the ZDAC has the same degree of clear and extended tonal balance that I found so distinctive in this Sony player. In this sense, in my opinion, the ZDAC has already surprassed my seasoned ZCD.  The ZDAC was shut off over night and is doing very well as it warms up with one of my favorite 'test' discs, the most recent US cd release of John Coltrane's 'Crescent.'

You have a lot to look forward to, the ZDAC will have you tweaking away. I'm convinced that it's a great machine that will be getting better day by day for a spell. In my opinion the Sony is a powerhouse player that is hard to beat.  I found an interesting review of a modded version here:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue47/sonyscdxa5400es.htm

Within the review it mentions:

"The 5400 model is a direct coupled voltage design and with no capacitors in the signal path. We all have been told that the sound of a capacitor should be to have no sound. That has been accomplished here by the process of elimination—there are none in the pathway."

That signal path seems to give it a distinctive sound that really works well with my tastes and system. The SACD output from this player was the first that really excited me, and the redbook output is still my personal referrence sound, the best I've ever had. (It's build quality and frame design have led to this being an excellent transport as well).

Already the ZDAC driven by three sources has shown itself to have a wonderful, detailed, dynamic sound. And it's design is very different than the Sony's analog output stage, with all those capacitors (if I understand correctly; I may be wrong).  This illustrates Steve's discoveries that different pathways lead to sonic success.  Adding the ZDAC to my system has been a win-win.

« Last Edit: 05/02/10 at 14:14:14 by Lon »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 05/02/10 at 17:14:36

Sounds like this is turning into an interesting journey...The integration of the MKIII and the DAC-1! Thanks for the update. I do like tweaking, but only for the sake of getting a sound that makes me love the music, fully optimizing my system within the constraints I have. Well, not ONLY for that. I do love to learn through exploration of information and applied experimentation. And admittedly, in this I am easily seduced...each sonic revelation inspires me to look for more refinement. I also wish my current setup required less messing around, but I have an OK toolbox now, and any future needs will be easier to solve.

I really look forward to the burned in sound of the ZDAC-1 and how it interacts with the MKIII, not only for the sonic possibilities, but because it will give me a point of reference that Steve has chosen, and through his writing and talks, he has been a big help in my finding the sound I love. Speaking of the DAC,  I am not an electronics guy, but knowing Steve's desire for simple signal paths, I would guess the caps are mostly in the Digital Analog Conversion section as opposed to the output. You think? Hmmm. Part of the sound any way you look at it though and no doubt needing some breakin time.

« Last Edit: 05/02/10 at 21:17:18 by will »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print