Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/17/14 at 02:07:23

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Ordered a Mark III, yes I'm insane (Read 13944 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Ordered a Mark III, yes I'm insane
01/01/10 at 19:48:15

Well, there's no Mark III forum, so I'll post this here.

Shortly after I received Bob's old original Torii II amp sort of updated to specs (the rectifier circuit is a little different I think) Steve introduced the Mark III.

I couldn't stop thinking about it.  So I ordered one while the introductory price is still in place.

Whoa.  I really shouldn't, but I could always sell the Integrated that I'm using in the second system, etc.

Now begins the waiting!

Happy New Year!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
BLFST

Re: Ordered a Mark III, yes I'm insane
Reply #1 - 01/01/10 at 20:46:22

Congradulation Lon!  Will be interested in hearing your impressions of the MKIII over the MKII.  

Have a great new year.

bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2 - 01/01/10 at 22:22:05

Thanks Bill.  You know me, I'll be talking about it. Wink

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #3 - 01/01/10 at 22:22:52

Lon: You've got it BAD!! Smiley
Happy '10
Don

Decware SE34I w/ CCE mod, ZCD, Heybrook/Linn/Clearaudio, Hagerman,
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/02/10 at 01:09:15

Congratulations, Lon. The MKIII is really a big Mini Torii in some respects.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #5 - 01/02/10 at 13:57:52

Thanks RR.  I really am not interested in the mini-Torii, as I'm in love with EL34 type tubes, and I used to drive myself insane tube-rolling and don't want to be tempted to go down that route again.

I love the Mark II so much, it really embodies what I want in an amplifier, and I want to go for the Mark III as I think the improvements will be audible and meaningful, and then I'll stop. Smiley (Might have to not visit this site to do that, and I'm tempted!)

IP Logged
DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/02/10 at 14:00:45

First off, Congratulations!  Insane, I think not.  If there is one among us who enjoys his music system it's you. Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #7 - 01/02/10 at 16:14:21

Well, you're right. . . I do enjoy mine.  Both of mine actually, which are predominantly Decware.  And both are used for video playback as well (and both are wonderful, especially with the excellent audio output of Blu-Ray audio).  It's a bit insane because for months I've been telling myself to spend less, and not really listening to that sound advice from a reliable source.  Money keeps going out and I'm not working and bringing lots in.  But then again, I'm at the end zone of a period of time when I have been able to build a great audio system or two and collect some great guitars and basses and amplifiers for those, and this period will flavor favoribly my coming years.  I've also been so blessed to have the time to really sit down and enjoy my systems and my instruments, and to have found a mate who is also a severe music addict.

This will probably be my final big purchase for a while, and it's undeniably a sane choice.  I could have waited for the Decware DAC options, but frankly I'm very happy with my Sony source, that's one sweet under-priced machine, and I imagine I will be until I am back in the rat race bringing in money that I can splurge with again.

Happy new year!

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #8 - 01/03/10 at 16:20:46

Hey Lon and all,

Happy new year! I am really enjoying the Mk2 that I purchased recently and I look forward to Lon's comparison of the Mk2 and Mk3's. Out of curiosity, has your Mk2 had the CCE modification?

nsj

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #9 - 01/03/10 at 16:36:41

Yes, it has N. I'll definitely let you know of comparisons.  Now begins the long wait! Smiley

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #10 - 01/03/10 at 16:49:35

I know what you mean Lon, about waiting. I ordered my ERR's on December 5, so hopefully I will see them in the next 2 weeks or so...

I have been completely blown away by my Mk2, even with a crappy Onkyo CD, 20 year old Infinity bookshelf speakers and 24GA speaker wire! It's as if I am hearing my CD collection for the first time, again.

The only issue that I have had is that the input tube on the left/front does not glow as brightly as the one on the right/front. I am not sure if this is affecting the sound or not?

Neil

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #11 - 01/03/10 at 17:31:46

Hey Neil,

IF the sound seems unbalanced from channel to channel, then it may be a factor of course. If not (and if mono recordings sound pretty centered) it may mean nothing at all, it's nothing to worry about.  I've encountered that before, sometimes it's just the angle you're viewing them from, sometimes it's just the tubes themselves, but if Steve sent them to you he tested them, matched them closely enough, and you should have nothing to worry about.

Hope you get the ERRs soon. Bob told me that mine are closer to coming up in the cue too.  I recently put my RL2s into my bedroom system and Anadina and I are really enjoying those there, they sound great in that little room, much better than in the slightly larger bedroom I used to use as a listening room!  Or maybe it's because they're being driven by the Integrated, not my Monoblocks as before. Who knows!  I just enjoy!

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #12 - 01/03/10 at 19:32:49

Lon,

No sound degradation to my ears, in fact, it sounds wonderful! I believe that you ordered your ERR's before I did, so I will be anxious to hear what you think of them...

I have emailed Steve a couple of times with this question, but, I have not heard back from him, perhaps you know the answer: Does the new ZCD200i accommodate any and all Ipods? I have a Nano, and Patty has an older version. I just want to be sure.

Neil

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #13 - 01/03/10 at 20:32:03

Hey Neil,

I did order mine before you, but Bob has made pairs before mine with my agreement, so mine is coming up soon but I bet yours is in front of mine.

I don't know much about that TEAC player, but this page says it works with all iPod models:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/08/tascam_cd-200i_cd_player.html

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #14 - 01/03/10 at 20:57:06

Lon,

Thanks for that - that's good news on the ZCD! I will have to wait on the purchase for now, but, it sounds like just the ticket when my cash reserves are replenished. Patty and I had a miserable Christmas with our beloved 13 year old german shepherd being diagnosed with kidney failure on Christmas eve. After 4 days in an emergency vet hospital and $4K later, we had to put her to sleep. The Torii Mk2 was the only positive aspect of the entire holiday period.

That's an interesting arrangement that you have with Bob!

Neil

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print