Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/23/14 at 04:19:41

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Ordered a Mark III, yes I'm insane (Read 16426 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Ordered a Mark III, yes I'm insane
Reply #45 - 03/06/10 at 22:26:05

Lon,

Wow, we are texting here. I edited my first response adding a question about 6N1P's and came back to find you had gotten back.  I am inclined to check out the cryo'd  mullards repos. How do recall them sounding in comparison with the Winged C's?

Thanks Lon,

Will

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #46 - 03/06/10 at 23:36:55

As regards the 6N1Ps, I've had about four pairs that I've used for the last few years and really don't remember the differences between cryo'd and non-cryo'd.

I recall that the Mullard tubes took quite some time to "bloom" but when they did, they were a bit more romantic than the Winged Cs, a touch more warmth. (Karl had a similar positive experience in his Dynaco I believe.)  This was using the Mullards in the Integrated, which as you know may not translate to the same thing in the Torii.  I remember in one of my first experiences in tube-rolling that I had a set of Military Sovtek EL84s that clearly sounded better than the non-military version in my EICO push-pull integrated amp.  The very opposite was true in my SE84!

I think you will really enjoy the Styx when they break in. I can't really think of using another speaker cable now. They alone may get you just the sound you want, they tighten up and tidy up all the frequencies.

I have to shut down the stereo soon and get ready for a good friend's birthday dinner. For a number or reasons, including how much fun I'm having listening to an Andy Bey cd right now, I don't want to go!

« Last Edit: 03/06/10 at 23:42:03 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 03/07/10 at 07:14:25

I tried the 6N1P's for while this evening and like them, but find them just a little soft after getting used to the cryo'd 6N23P-EV's (extremely articulate, extended and detailed) and my current favorite, the Haltron 6922's that seem somewhere between...warm but articulate with a tight, but musical bass.

It would be hard to beat the Winged C's, but the Mullards sound worth checking out. So far, though the Integrated and MkIII sound different, they carry so much of the family resemblance and design/build, I have found tubes to move between them pretty well. But it does all come down to the details the amp's signature brings out and there will be no way to know about the Mullards without a try.

It is tube changes in part, but my amp just reached another level. Smoother and more liquid!!! What a pleasure.

I really do look forward to the Styx! Waiting for more cable to come in. Thanks for your thoughts.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #48 - 03/07/10 at 17:22:51

I guess I like "a little soft" because for me and my system the 6N1Ps are just right so far!

I drove myself mad tube-rolling some years ago and I'm less and less inclined to roll tubes.  The final straw for me was when I tried multiple tubes in the ZCD trying to love that player and no tube accomplished that.  Then I bought my Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player, not a tube in sight, and I love it!  I'm learning with the amps to not stray too far from Steve's original tube sets. . . they work pretty well with the Radial speaker series which is my bread and butter. . . .

PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 03/08/10 at 01:56:29

Good points Lon. There is the taste thing, and our different physical makeups, but I suspect my problems are mainly room/system synergy and not the amp. When I think of the complexity of what makes up a room/system it makes me feel a little sick though.

So I hear you on the dilemma of to tube roll or not. Veering too far from the tubes Steve used for development could be somewhat futile. It is fun though. And I did not have any problems with the Integrated except that I wanted a little more power. But then that is the very thing that I'm dealing with now...on top of the additional bass extension from the Torii, the power and how it drives the MG944's is clearly part of it. Everything is just that much closer to the edge. At the same time, power, speed and extension are big parts of what makes the amp sound so good! If only Steve had devised a little bass cut pot like the treble pots, my tastes would likely be satisfied.

His meticulous design and development work, and good ears open the door to that truly satisfying sound, and those of us who love his sound trust that he will put us way close, making struggling with the last few percent worth it. Why else would you have put so much energy into the ZCD tweaking? I really hope this amp is not for me like the ZCD was for you, but it is possible dammit. Thanks for your thoughts. They are definitely helpful! And....like you suggested, the Styx may just do it.

I need to talk with Steve about those 26 things...

By the way, on tube roll #1042, I just put in the 6N1P's with a set of cryo'd Sovtek GZ34 Mullard copies and it sounds pretty amazing! I am blown away at how powerfully the rectifiers effect the sound of this amp!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #50 - 03/08/10 at 02:27:38

I think in these amps with such direct and "simple" circuitry the rectifiers play a big role and so changes are significant.  This has been the case for me in all the amps I've had and have from Steve.

With the Mark III there are THREE rectifiers to roll!  OMG, I think I'll just leave it as it is for now! Smiley

I think that's a good idea, talking to Steve  He may steer you to a good and simple room treatment, or he may even be able to adjust the signature of the Mark III to get a more appropriate bass response for you.  But wait for the Styx to get in the system. . . they're gong to show you really where you're at!

It's been fun sharing experiences and thoughts.  I have the DVR running through the Mark III right now.  I've had so much fun with this system, makes even blah TV sound GREAT.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 03/09/10 at 18:37:57

THREE rectifiers huh!!! Do tell. I think your are right about the simple and clean signal path thing, but man, for me anyway, the MkIII brings out the tube differences more than the Integrated did. This amp is amazing.

And yes, I look forward to the Styx and the assurance that I am getting accurate connection with the speakers.

On the room... I found a really good CD for identifying low resonance stuff. Rosa Passos and Ron Carter "Entre Amigos." Demanding Bass tracks, within a very simple matrix of beautiful midrange stuff. I have been messing around with this the whole time, but as I learn more, I am becoming less tolerant of ANY resonance I hear, and this has been having enough positive effect on my low-mid/bass problem to realize that with this amp, in this room, pretty much all the bass resonance has to go....Being all over the room many times, and by solving the broader low end crud, the remaining (and worst) resonance has become really obvious. So, I am much closer and your saying that your room was a bass sucker, and mine having exaggerated bass with the same amp, this was the big pointer.

I was suspicious of the MG944's being sensitive to the deep bass the MkIII produces since my problems were exaggerated by them before I realized the drivers were slightly loose, and also because damping of the driver rings and box did help. After sorting this out, it didn't seem possible that the difference between the MG's and the IT Radials could cause a huge difference in bass response. Also, since the MG's and the MkIII do go low, it is not a surprise that together they bring out room issues that the Integrated and MG's didn't.

Finally, from your pointer, today I have been doing this pretty intense detective work with the stock tubes. So thanks for the dialog Lon.

I'll try Steve today.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #52 - 03/09/10 at 19:33:02

Seems as if your thinking is sound! Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #53 - 03/09/10 at 22:16:28

This really is a fabulous amplifier.  It's more different than I thought it would be than my Mark II right now.  Sound is very very nice.

IP Logged
DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 03/09/10 at 22:47:42

Although Mr. Deckert may advise me to remain home for the next Decfest, I have not been putting a lot on time on the new amp.  My second system located in the bedroom/office includes a set of RL3's and a  small Jolida PP amp. with a Cayin tubed DAC.  I find it hard to escape the Radial sound.  Have not had a CD in my hands for months.

I did avail myself of the Decware power cord and audiophile grade duplex.  The main system includes nearly everything Decware.

I find the new Torii Mk III to be all the amplifier that will ever be needed in the living room.  It works so well with so many different speakers. I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to swing it.

Dennis

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #55 - 03/10/10 at 17:21:24

I know about being addicted to the Radial sound.  I have two Radial based systems now. . . one in the living-room/dining-room and one in the bedroom.  It's a total gas to have Radials everywhere I listen.

Although you sound as if you're happy with the Jolida, I would be really remiss if I didn't recommend something like the Integrated for that system.  I'm a little biased, I haven't really heard Jolida amps that I like, and I love the Integrated/RL2 combo, really great, especially for a bedroom or office. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #56 - 03/11/10 at 16:34:43

Playing Symphony #9 on this set, which is the most dynamic set of recordings I have.  Playing the SACD too loudly too, in a way. But it's clear as a bell and whispers and roars.  The Mark III / IT Radial combo is really performing flawlessly.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #57 - 03/16/10 at 23:50:03

Wow. This amplifier is really PLEASING.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #58 - 03/25/10 at 19:23:21

The system astounded me this afternoon.  I removed the protective grilles from the top of the IT Radials, and I put on the DVD audio version of Opeth's "Ghost Reveries."

Holy #$%!  Room full of sound as I've never heard before.

The Torii made it all pump and whirl and sing.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #59 - 03/26/10 at 02:57:35

Great news Lon.....how much better is the bass control of the MK-III than the MK-II....Steve was pretty stoked about the voice coil cathode bias, and I won't be able to hear it before Decfest  >:(

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print