Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/20/14 at 22:23:27

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Ordered a Mark III, yes I'm insane (Read 16313 times)
nsj

Re: Ordered a Mark III, yes I'm insane
Reply #30 - 02/27/10 at 16:24:29

Hey guys,

Thanks, we are very pleased with her. Let's face it cats (Mr. PC) are a lot easier to take care of. I had a Maine Coon cat at one point. BLFST, I hope that your Huskies are doing well. What kind of a dog is that Riviera? Dirtdawg, I admire your dedication - that's great!

WWW   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 02/27/10 at 18:05:09

Desi is a 7 year-old piebald Daschund. The piebald has recessive features such as a slimmer muzzle, longer and thinner legs and of course the coloring. She is a sweet canine doggie.
« Last Edit: 02/27/10 at 18:05:42 by Rivieraranch »  

100102_006.JPG

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 02/27/10 at 20:58:02

Lets talk about pets in Lon's latest thread, shall we?

Sorry, Lon, but this "stream of consciousness stuff"  affects us all.

I am very interested in your interpretation of what pleasures your new baby sets into your system. (honestly, I have some trouble resolving what I have heard from the blu-ray players I have tried. My older Sony things sound way better than any newish stuff I have brought home. I have never heard yours, though. Enough said on that.)

Back on topic, I want a puppy.
Smiley

WWW DirtDawg DirtDawg NO! NO!   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #33 - 02/27/10 at 23:18:09

I'm listening to some incredible sound from my Sony ES Blu-Ray player right now on a Steven Wilson DVD-A, Insurgentes.  I have tried out two other Blu-Ray players in this system (another Sony and a Panasonic) and this former flagship is just awesome.  Not as good on redbook as my SCD-XA5400ES player, but incredible on dvd and Blu-Ray two channel audio.  Just amazes me.

Believe me DD, I'll give my impressions of the new amps.  And I don't mind people talking about their pets. As my late wife Helen would say "Pets are people too!"

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 02/28/10 at 01:37:51

I love that sentiment, Lon. Pets are indeed people, too.

Which Panasonic did you try out?  

I bought (it seemed the best one in the showroom at the time) BD-S1065BL Yamaha, then decided to keep it for my movie system.

I have previewed a Pioneer BDP-V6000, a Pioneer BDP-95FD, Pioneer BDP-320, Pioneer BDP-23FD (I thought for a while that Pioneer was close to the best brand, I was stuck on this brand. I bought several things from them but that big fat-bottom, heavy-assed Yamaha blows them all away).

I also tried out a Denon A1UDCI (which was amazingly feature-loaded, our most expensive player, but hardly any better than any other, soundwise) and a Denon DVD-3800BDCI (probably second best sounding at twice the price).

I do not have access to any of the better than average Sony efforts at my store, so I can hardly comment on their more modern players, as yet, but of those I do have available to me, the Yamaha is much more analog sounding, compared to the others.

I still have an older Sony redbook player from teh eighties that sounds better than all of them on just about all my average discs (the point). This annoys the hell out of me about digi! (I fully expect it to break some day and I will again return to the market to replace something "I never wanted in the first place" - Lol) My oldest and most primitive player works best.
Smiley

« Last Edit: 02/28/10 at 01:43:26 by DirtDawg »  
WWW DirtDawg DirtDawg NO! NO!   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #35 - 02/28/10 at 02:04:15

I had to ask my friend David what the model was, he says Panasonic DMP-BD55.  It sounded okay but we both felt there was more depth to the sound of the Sony BDP-S2000ES.  

The DEC 685 was the first Sony disc player I ever had and it impressed me. I decided to try Sony for a Blu-Ray player and went with the BDP-S2000ES after doing some instore comparisons with Sony, Pioneer and Panasonic. Sonys impressed me more and ofdered the then flagship. I've been nothing but happy with it. When I was disappointed in the ZCD and the NAD universal player I bought didn't really excite me on redbook I tried the Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player and that has been the best cd and SACD source I've ever had.  Has an interesting design, capacitorless outpout, nice layout and transport.  It keeps sounding better and better month by month. So my Sony excitement is fairly recent, but I'm very impressed.  Bad sound and experience by a friend with Yamaha players and receivers has had me sidestep those.

There are lots of good options out there, it's a great world we live in.  I'm really happy with these choices.

« Last Edit: 03/04/10 at 12:16:52 by Lon »  

PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #36 - 03/04/10 at 12:23:04

My Mark III arrived yesterday, surprisingly early, before 1 p.m.

Right out of the box I must say that this amp sounded more "there" than any other new Decware amp I've received.  Maybe it had more hours on it before shipping, maybe it's the design.  But wow, it impresses immediately.

I then transferred all the tubes I could from my Mark II to my Mark III so that I was listening to seasoned tubes for the most part.  I continued to be impressed.  There does seem to be a bit more power and authority to this amp than the Mark II. The IT Radials LOVE this amp.  I managed to get about seven hours of use in last night and am starting on some long listening hours today, hopefully.

Steve's work and immense attention pay off. There seems to be even better bass, this early on too, than with the Mark II.  It seems to be the determining difference here, though there's also a bit more depth and a bit bigger sound altogether, which would follow from a fuller bass sound. Yet what I loved so much about the Mark II is also there:  how it handles every detail, large or small, putting the sound right where it should be, just as it should be.  I know that this amp will just get better and better as it seasons.  Steve's brainwork and his intuitive approach to improving his designs are very apparent in all the models of the Torii. This edition is stunning in sound and looks. A winner! I can't imagine any fan of the Decware amps who would be disappointed.  No, this is not a single-ended triode amp.  But it sure as hell sounds like one down to the bone!

Very happy that I managed to swing this.  The Mark II sounds fantastic in my bedroom system.

Life is good!

More impressions soon.

« Last Edit: 03/04/10 at 12:29:35 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 03/05/10 at 00:42:21

"Say that cat Lon is a baaaad mutha-
Shut yo mouth!
Talkin' bout Lon
And we can dig it!"

With apologies to the late Isaac Hayes.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #38 - 03/05/10 at 01:19:33

Congradulations on receipt of your MKIII Lon!  Even though you give it a resounding thumbs up this early, I am afraid that I am just going to have to be content with the MKII that I currently have.  Not enough funds for everything that I would like to enjoy LOL.

bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #39 - 03/05/10 at 03:54:11

Yes I so feel like a bad mofo with this amp and these speakers. I get such great sound.

And Bill, I totally understand.  I really shouldn't have spent the money. But I just got the idea in my head and there is money in the bank still, just barely.  The idea of having a Mark III in the living room and the Mark II in the bedroom just took hold of me. .. and now it's a reality.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #40 - 03/05/10 at 22:14:06

Another day of great sound.  A bit of a change mid-day, the sound was sort of soft and easy, and then came back to a tighter focus later.

I'm really grateful for the bias switch. This is the first amp I've had where the "neutral" or "British" bias position was a useful alternative.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 03/06/10 at 20:40:28

Hey Lon,

So far I use the "British" bias on my MkIII. Plenty of warmth, speed and push. Mine took a good 7-9 days of 5 hour cycling to "bloom." But the bias thing...I much preferred the "warm" bias on the Integrated I had, but the MkIII pushes my MG944's pretty hard, and has to me, considerably more low mid and bass to its sound, so generally the warm bias is too much.

I like the power and many of the characteristics of the Torii sound, but, at least with my speakers and setup, I think I would prefer a just slightly less slam/push, low mids and bass. It is soooo fast and powerful it can sometimes seem just a little "amplified" sounding, though I probably have less than 70 hours on it. When there is a lot of bass material on the recording, I find the lows, though tight and clean at this point, they can mask the mids a bit too much for my taste. It can also get a little unnerving to have the low bass sending vibes through room and body on such a regular basis! This thing must go most of the way down, and the 944's apparently use a lot of the -30 Hz stuff with this amp.

I am hyper sensitive though because at first I was having a nasty thing going on with big bass stuff, and messing around to solve it I got cotton ear! Then, when I started looking at the speakers themselves, I was hearing the low mid/bass muddle with my ear right at the drivers!  So I damped the plastic driver ring with some marigo dots and this helped. Then it occurred to me that the speakers were made in the humid NC mountains, and I live in the high desert, so checked out the driver screws....duh! all but one on the mid/bass drivers needed about a 1/5 turn to make them snug. This did a whole lot to solve my problems!!! but for a balance across my CD collection, I still would prefer just a bit less low end in the mix and am now playing a lot with tubes.

I don't seem to have any obvious room resonances, comb filtering or the like, no boom or buzz, no particularly hot or cool bass areas...the frequency response sounds pretty even in most parts of the room. So though I have a less than perfect room, and would likely benefit from more treatment I would prefer not having to go there! Also, I am inclined to think this is a lot to do with the amp's signature and my personal taste.

This is also obviously to do with synergy of gear, tubes, etc. my better CD player (Rega Apollo) reveals everything more than my modded Oppo, and Decware IC's likewise present everything more than less revealing IC's. And my favorite input tubes are the same. I was using 70's cryo'd 6N23P's from cryoset, as they are incredibly detailed bottom to top. Amazingly tight bass and high extension. So all this can be toned down with less revealing gear/tubes, but the sacrifice!

I have tried OB3 and OD3's for the voltage regulators, but in the end, though the bass is a bit stronger with the stock OA3, so is everything else, and I prefer how those regulators push the tubes. The stock 5U4G's I love for their sweet, open midrange, and the bottom goes way down, but can be a little inarticulate, so I tried cryo'd  JJ 5AR4's. They tightened the whole sound...but I lost a bit of that sweet midrange. So now I have Valvo 274B's that are sort of in between, tighter on the bass and mids, but still having a decent liquidity. And I put in some NOS Haltron ECC88's in the input stage...This combination works pretty well, the Haltron 6692's sounding quite good but a little softer/less edgy than the 6N23P's.

Ah the quest! What I would love, is to get this thing toned down just enough to where on thinner recordings I could use the warm bias setting...and on most, use the British bias with liquid detail and tight, balanced low mid/bass (not even bordering on unnerving or fatiguing). I am close, but not there. I have some Styx ordered, and they presumably will help over my Cat-5 home-mades.

Long story short....what tubes are you liking? I seem to recall from your posts your using 6N2P's in your MkII and that you thought the tungsol El34's (are they 34B's) were pretty comparable to the stock Winged C EL34's with perhaps a bit less low-mids??? This could work for me at this point. Any thoughts?

Best to you,

Will

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #42 - 03/06/10 at 21:06:50

Hi Will

I seem to have a different room situation.  My room has sucked the bass and lower midrange out of any amp I have used:  Select, Integrated, SE84, B&O, Proton, EICO.  I was using N2Ps in the Mark II because these gave a mid and low bass boost, but it was giving me a situation similar to yours that was lush and dark and not sparkling.  If I went for the sparkle it was too bright and thin.  I went back to 6N1Ps, the same that Steve supplies, but cryo'd, and found the right speaker placement to get a good tonal balance.  I also used Winged Cs primarily; the Tungsols were just a bit too slow and dark sounding overall, dimming the sparkle a bit too much.  I used new reissue Mullards that were cryo'd to great result in the Integrated, but I haven't yet  bought a matched quad for the Toriis. That may be just the ticket, hard to say. So right now I'm using in the Mark III: cryo'd 6N1Ps, Winged Cs, the stock rectifiers with the exception of  a pair of RCA 5U4Gs (clearly better than the Ruby, mellower, warmer). And I'm surprised that I'm using the British bias setting.

There is something distinctly and decidedly different I think on the bass with the Mark III, possibly deeper and quicker, seemingly to me fuller. I think this is either a result of the design changes or a further improvement. I like it, but ymmv as I felt bass needed fleshing out in my system. I'll be interested to hear the amp once it's broken in and seasoned. . . .

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 03/06/10 at 21:59:56

Lon,

This is good information. Thanks. It gives me more ways to think about it. Could be my room is more a problem than I thought, and the Integrated just didn't have enough bass to show it. Also, I suspect the radials might respond differently to the MkIII than the MG's. Hmmm.....Maybe I should try switching  back to the 6N1P's for a while. I think I recall that they were nice and warm,  and that the softer presentation extended into the bottom in my setup... pretty deep, but maybe a little mushy. Do you recall what differences you heard between the cryos and the stock ones?

Have fun with the break in!

Will

« Last Edit: 03/06/10 at 22:20:06 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #44 - 03/06/10 at 22:17:46

Well, I felt that the Mark II and the IT Radials were an excellent fit, but there's something even more fitting to the match between the Mark III and the IT Radials.

It's really going to be interesting to arrive at the post "break in" sound!

If you want to try different tubes, the Mullards may be very interesting in comparison to the Winged Cs.  They were a better replacement in the Integrated than the TungSols.  Eventually I'll try them in the Mark III but I may have to get a job first!  :)

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print