Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/23/14 at 09:20:50

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
What box for my application?Housewrecker/Death box (Read 21030 times)
Basshead
Verified Member

Re: What box for my application?Housewrecker/Death box
Reply #15 - 12/21/09 at 17:37:03

Since my subs are dual 2 ohm I need to run the amp at 4 ohm. would two Dayton HPSA500 be enough power on each sub? I don't want to under power the subs!

« Last Edit: 12/21/09 at 17:45:24 by Basshead »  
  IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #16 - 12/21/09 at 18:34:08

Yes !!! That would be plenty of power for those subs. Will you be maxing them out prolly not but the results should be more than impressive. I run multiple subs for my HT but with less than a 100w per enclosure I can still hit SPL levels above 110db. With those amps and subs you should exceed that easily.

HT-EXT

« Last Edit: 12/21/09 at 23:32:35 by HT-EXT »  

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
Basshead
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 12/21/09 at 22:56:03

I hear people are having problems with the Dayton amps they Hum and itís a mix about the amps being good/bad from what I am reading. That is my only concern. Do you suggest any other amps? I donít want to deal with sending an amp back again.

And I appreciate you helping be out with my build! Ur very helpful thank you.  :)

Basshead

« Last Edit: 12/22/09 at 05:47:44 by Basshead »  
  IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #18 - 12/22/09 at 11:06:43

The 60Hz hum has been a pain in my A** for a long time. I have tried and tried to keep it under controll. I do not own a Dayton plate amp but have friends that do. Some have the problem (60Hz issue) and others don't. If you try to increase the input gain going to the Crown you will prolly run into the same problem.

As for being helpful, I just like to see someone build above and beyond the standard and it turn out most excellent. Imagination is one of the few things that keep me going foward in life. Good luck with your build.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Basshead
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 12/22/09 at 16:19:24

From what I am finding out is just about everyone who owns the  HPSA500 has the hum problem so I would rather buy the HPSA1000 looks like not too many problems I think, I can get the 1000 for $389.95 a piece on EBay and its only $250 for the HPSA500a piece on parts express.

I also ran into the Elemental design LT/1300 itís a little more at $450 but I read somewhere the output is actually 1000 watts and its rated output is 1300 watts. Have you heard anything good about this amp compared to the HPSA?

Basshead

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #20 - 12/22/09 at 17:57:10

I have not used the Elemental design LT/1300. By the specs it seems to be a good choice. My friend has the HPSA1000 and runs about 20 pro shakers with it. Volume is set to 3/4 and the shakers do not seem to have hum shakes even with the amp turn wide open. The only problem so far is when the amps gets hot, from long periods of play, on big booms it has shut off. This is after about 3 to 4 hours of use and the shakers do pull alot of current. He has no complaints about it and it has outlasted and outperform all the others.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
TheNux
Verified Member

SuperNux

Reply #21 - 12/22/09 at 19:22:10

Howdy out there. I will post pics as soon as I can. My dog got to my camera. First let me say I actually put this in my Suburban. Anywho. I finished the House wrecker about a week ago. I used four 15'' Kicker Comps. The specs listed on this site were almost dead on. I'm only running 300 watts (Hifonics amps) and I have to say thank you for the Housewrecker design. I did have to change the round port to a slot port because of the depth of the speakers, but it sounds incredible. I put this in my Suburban and it can easily blur your vision so much that you have to turn it down to see to drive! Thanks again and I'll get some SPL numbers and pics real soon. †

Vivere est cogitare!
  IP Logged
Basshead
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 12/23/09 at 06:06:58

Hey TheNux, looking forward to the Pic I tried to add mine but I didnít have much luck. My pics were loo big

I boxed up the Crown last night and I was ready to ship it back today. But I wasnít fully convinced that it would not work.
So today after my classes I decided not to send it back to try it out again. A friend of mine told me to try a car X-over, thatís what he ended up doing with his home stereo/amps so I tried it as well but It didnít work also tried a car EQ Nothing!  The other day l munched that I by-passed the Denon and connected the Crown to a car deck and it didnít work either.
Before I buy the ART CleanBox I am going to call up crown to see if I have it set wrong but they prob will tell me ill need the Art box. I just donít want to wait buy it than find out it wonít work. I really like the crown amp due to many reasons but from what I am experiencing this itís a pain in the A**!  I am just getting tired with this problem I guess PA equipment just isnít made to be compatible.  
I donít think itís my Subs would it be? They read 4 Ohms when the subs are connected in series.
Basshead

IP Logged
Basshead
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 12/26/09 at 22:22:16

Here are some Pics of the wedge box build in the process.  

http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/bass-head/?action=view&current=PC260149...

Let me know what you think?

Basshead

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #24 - 12/28/09 at 11:45:08

Welcome Nux. I have built HWK 8", 10", 12", and 15". I have had good result with all and would have recommeded the HWK to Basshead but the size of the enclosure is a drawback for me. I have had a little better results from smaller builds but don't get me wrong the HWK will rock the whole house. Glad to hear you had good results.

I haft to commend you on your build Basshead. Excellent craftsmanship and an impressive sub too. Your build has caused me to rethink mine. I added two 3" ports to my Series II/half wedge build. I will have pics soon. Again that is a awesome build. Can't wait to hear the results.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Basshead
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 12/28/09 at 15:22:37

Thank you HT-EXT, Its coming along I have started my second box and I am waiting for the cleanbox I should have it today. I want make sure it sound the way I want before its complete, I am still leery on my cubic feet I think 2.65 is too small but thatís what my program gave me @ 32 Hz.

If needed I plain on adding .85 cubic feet to the box if necessary @ 26 Hz. I have a plain where I wonít mess up the box and I can still make it look nice. So will see! What do you think?

I must say HT-EXT, I was looking at your other Pics and all I can say is. WOW!! You have an amazing set up. You must have a lot of watts for the total completion?? It looks immense! It must be crazy loud..

Good luck with porting your box I am glad I could help.

So I have been thinking about my next project. I have two 12Ē Soundstream SPLX quad coils in my car in a fiber glass box it took me 3 mo to build it, I think I may build the HWK or the DB with those subs since I donít listen to it much.

Basshead  

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #26 - 12/28/09 at 16:38:21

I don't think you will haft to worry with cubic feet. Once you hear it you will be amazed. As far as the enclosure programs (WinISD, BassBox,etc), They are great for crunching numbers but are not always able to predict what the enclosure will do in the real world.

Thanks for the compliment. It has took a while to get to this point not to mention money but it was worth it. I only run about 100w per channel(6.1) with the plate amps pushing maybe 125w per sub enclosure. On average, with a good action movie, I hit about 110db. I have had booms around 120db but that is a little loud for my taste.

HT-EXT

« Last Edit: 12/28/09 at 16:39:22 by HT-EXT »  

IP Logged
Basshead
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 12/29/09 at 03:42:33

Well I received the cleanbox today and I am very disappointed! The dam thing didnít improve the amp at all. To my conclusion I feel itís the crown amp that is giving me all the problems. I donít suggest anyone out there to get a crown amp for their home audio. †

I had a Carver and a Velodyne SC 1250 amp that never gave me this much trouble. So back to the drawing board I guess.

I will play with it one more time tomorrow and if I canít get it to work I will be sending it back!

I will be getting the Dayton 1000 watt amp unless there is another one that would be recommended at least 900 watts @ 4ohm?

How about the Dayton SA-1000 compared to the HPSA 1000 is there any other similarity other than the way there mounted, but would I gain or lose anything between the both of them? It would be less work if I used the SA-1000.

I have read a lot of people using the Behringer amps for their home theater but I donít want to run into the same problems. Since I am fed up with this whole amp thing do you think itís wise to or stick with the plate amps?

Basshead

« Last Edit: 12/29/09 at 04:43:19 by Basshead »  
  IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #28 - 12/29/09 at 14:10:16

That is strange ??? I have three ART CB(modified) incorporated in my system and have no complaints. I can't even go halfway on the CB gain before it starts pushing stuff too hard. Sorry to hear about your trouble.

As for which amp to choose, go with your gut, just try to stay away from the Pro Audio amps unless they have the switch on the input side that allows for home use. The switch will be labeled +4db /-10db. For home audio you will need to switch set to -10db. Don't get me wrong, the Pro Audio amps are impressive but not always best for HT. Just my two cents, hope it helps.

What about this amp with free shipping !

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Buttkicker-Power-Amplifier?sku=4822...

http://www.htauthority.com/index_files/ButtKickerAmplifier.htm

HT-EXT

« Last Edit: 12/29/09 at 16:23:29 by HT-EXT »  

IP Logged
Basshead
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 12/30/09 at 02:10:37

I looked at the buttkickes before and I never thought about using their amps. Good suggestion Thanks!  And itís also cheaper which is a nice.

But it doesnít have the much too it if you know what I mean (itís simpler) compared to the plate amps?  I see that the amp has only 1 line level input if I were to use 2 of the buttkickers am I able to use a Y cable?

I have 1 output on the back of my Denon 3808 Receiver and I also have Two L and R RCA outís that I could use.. What would be recommended to use on the Denon?

Basshead

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print