$4K System? (Read 6757 times)
Chris K
Seasoned Member

My owner only hears
to 16K WELL I can
hear to 60K!

Re: $4K System?
Reply #30 - 12/03/09 at 04:18:21

Well with TORII MkIII, ERR's, and ZCD it's at $4,690. Any chance $100 could come off or what the Christmas discounts your offering bring it down just under $4,500?

He was thinking about spending $500 on that turntable.

This is interesting.

NSJ it's CD's only for you for now buddy! Huh

SO with Christmas discount what is TORII MkIII price?

« Last Edit: 12/03/09 at 04:49:30 by Chris K »  

Hi-Fi Gear: More than I need! Not as much as I want!
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

My owner only hears
to 16K WELL I can
hear to 60K!

Reply #31 - 12/03/09 at 04:19:23

BTW once your hooked there's no turning back. Grin

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

My owner only hears
to 16K WELL I can
hear to 60K!

Reply #32 - 12/03/09 at 04:41:49

Lon,
I couldn't agree more. The Radials a really something else altogether as far as 3 dimensional sound and smooth delivery to the whole room. Affirmative!

I never lived with the 8" radial with no forward driver helping out. Remember I have a pair of what you have and a taller prototype of that.
I will at some point have to have ERR in the house to really get a sense of what they do in comparison to the other speaker. Sans front firing mid bass driver it will be different that's for sure. Great thing is you take a speaker that is too bright in one setting and put it another and all of a sudden everything comes right and its just heavenly. Too bright a room and the laid back speaker shines. Not that simply but you know the drill.

Good stuff guys! Thanks I had fun today chatting it up in here.

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #33 - 12/03/09 at 16:56:26

This has been very helpful for me guys, as well as fun. So no one likes my last idea:

Mini Torii $1395, NFX speakers $1495, ZCD $799, Interconnects $169, = $3858 (within budget, using budget speaker cables as Steve intimates, vinyl later)

Would the very high efficiency of the NFX satisfy the need for volume on occasion, without a larger amp upgrade?

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #34 - 12/03/09 at 17:22:41

Can't help you there, know very little about the amp and the speakers.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #35 - 12/03/09 at 17:50:20

nsj,

If you're still looking at speaker cables relative to your budget, I'd throw Clear Day Cables Solid Core 8ft silver single cables into the mix.  At $120 a pair  shipped ($150-20% plus free shipping) these cables are stunning in clarity and extension.I think its about $10 each additional foot..  I have them, plus a 1 meter pair of ICs terminated with Eichmanns made form the same materil.

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 12/03/09 at 22:06:50

The NFX speakers will definitely get you the loudness you desire but probably not the bass you will want (need?).

Lin

IP Logged
nsj

Reply #37 - 12/03/09 at 23:09:07

ZenCDUser,

Thanks for that tip on speaker cables, I will definitely take a look at them!

Opny_bafld,

You don't seem baffled to me, in fact, that is the exact same response that Steve gave me via email:

Hi Neil,

The NFX would take care of any worries about upgrading amps, yes.  You would probably end up adding a subwoofer to them to pick up the bottom octave.

- Steve Deckert

Anyway, adding a subwoofer can certainly be done for less than $900, i.e. the NFX is $100 more, but, the Mini Torii is $1000 less, total delta being $900...

WWW   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 12/03/09 at 23:31:54

Your $4 grand system seems to be exciting everyone here to the point that you may be having trouble deciding what to buy. Starting out with 4 grand is an enviable position. Most people begin by buying a used piece of DECWARE equipment and then buying new things incrementally.

I vote for the Mini Torii and MG944 speakers along with the new ZCD player. You might have something left over for interconnects after that.

I have posted extensively about my experiences with my Mini Torii the Taboo and the MG944 speakers.

The Mini Torii DOES NOT need a preamplifier but the Taboo greatly benefits from one.

The MG944 is the best all around speaker that you can have. The bass is there in spades, the midrange is lovely and the highs are nice as well. There is no undue emphasis on either highs, mids or lows. With that Mini Torii you can drive any speaker, and the MG944's will get as loud as you will ever need.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
nsj

Reply #39 - 12/04/09 at 00:41:21

Hi Rivieraranch,

I'm glad that you guys are excited, you have all been very helpful (as has Steve).

I see that the MG944's have very deep bass response, besting the radials and the NFX's. I will spend some time looking at your posts.

I would prefer to do this right the first time as Lon mentioned earlier...

WWW   IP Logged
Parker
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #40 - 12/04/09 at 20:49:12

Hello,

Looks like you found the right forum and the right gear for your needs.

$4k is going to be just fine you'll be able to have a ridiculously good sounding system that will last nearly forever.

This isn't like buying a new BluRay player that will be half the price and become obsolete within 9 months. Good two channel audio will be around until most of us are gone.

Decware gear is by far the best  I've had. In the past 3 months I've put over $10k into Decware.

Here is a quick analogy as to what you can expect from Decware. Go find the best system you've ever heard (tube or solid state) then wrap a few bath towels around the speakers and secure with duct tape. Then go and turn a small fan on in a nearby room.

Okay, listen to this and remember the sound. Play your favorite music and get a good base then take off the towels and turn off the fan and hear it again.

That dramatic change you get is the leap forward you've get ABOVE the best system you've heard once you get Decware gear. It'll become so obvious that you can't really even stand to hear basic or salon expensive gear again.

That being said I'm always a bit of a "get the best stuff" buyer and sort of miffed at myself for getting 3 Tori 2's and two ZCD's (the 160mkII's). I wish I would have got the new Tori 3 and new ZCD.

So here are my recommendations. Please note I'm not trying to step in front of steve's sale. We both know I'll be ordering more stuff and very likely lots more. If this post annoys anyone please take it down or delete it.

Source: Used ZCD (60hrs) with all the primo options: tube regulated power supply, dual stepped attenuators,, but sorry I'm hanging onto the power cord but the factory one will come with it. Retail $1,1100 but I'll sell mine for $650 plus shipping.

Speakers: New ERR's from Steve/Ziggy. I have a pair on order but I haven't got them yet. I've heard a few of Steve's radial designs and they're phenomenal. My other system is a Linkwitz Lab Orion ++ so my reference for good sound is literally world class gear. Price $1,395

Pre Amp: Don't worry about it. Really not needed $$ can go other places especially room treatment and later purchases. You'll have two source inputs on the Tori mk11 so you should be fine for a while.

Amp: Used 100 hour old Tori Mk11 with all factory tubes and factory CCE mod. This is an incredible amp. Black contemporary base with black top. Super classy and plenty of power just about any speakers you'll hook up. Currently I have this running directly off my ZCD and it is so black. You can hit pause and turn the volume up all the way and still not hear anything with your ear right up to the speakerů.and I'm using 94db speaks. I would sell this for $1,700

Wires: don't get crazy here you'll pick up WAY more in fidelity with room treatment and placement etc. than you will with wires. Sort of icing on the cake. Get good gear, position it right, then work on the room. Wires are always last. Sigfied Linkwitz shipped me Radio Shack wires on my $20k plus Orion system and I haven't changed them since 2006.

That put's you at $3,745 before shipping and some inexpensive wires.

Parker,

P.S. If you get any new gear please please please realize that it all has a break in period. Back before I had tube gear (or anything really good for that matter) I didn't believe in "break in" but I can assure you that a ZCD with 1 hour on it sounds worlds different than one with 50-60 hours. In fact, some stuff can just sound out right bad for the first 50 hours. Don't fret, just set it up somewhere and let it play.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #41 - 12/04/09 at 21:04:58

Wow, Parker has given you two good offers here and I really like his plan.

Parker, have you TRIED a preamp in between the ZCD and the Torii?  I have a CSP2 in the system in that slot (well, now it's in between the Sony ES SACD player and the Torii, but my fully modded ZCD has been in the same slot). There is a fullness and a tonal sollidity (don't know how else to say that) which justifies it being there.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
nsj

Reply #42 - 12/05/09 at 00:59:27

Parker and Lon,

Thanks for weighing in! It's interesting that I came to some of the same conclusions yesterday and today I mailed a check to someone for a used Torii Mk2, which should make Lon happy, since that was his plan all along.

I was able to get the same amp that you offered for the same price as a new Mini Torii, so it was a no-brainer given our house configuration. I also actually prefer the look of the Mk2's black chassis to the new white chassis.

I will go with the ERR's, again, suggested by Lon and confirmed by Steve for use with the Mk2.

So far so good! Regarding source, my wife mentioned last night that a dock for the ipod was a must for parties. So my choices are the ZCD plus the Zenhead, or, wait for Steve to perfect the new ZCD-200i which he is apparently working on. I like the idea of the ipod dock being integral to the CD player, so I may just use our crappy, existing Onkyo CD Changer until the 200i is available.

I am making progress with your help!

nsj

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #43 - 12/05/09 at 05:08:30

Two thumbs up! Smiley

IP Logged
Parker
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #44 - 12/05/09 at 08:59:57

Very good to hear. Tori mk 11 and ERR's are sure to be an incredible system.

Personally I would wait for the ZCD with the iPod dock integration, that seems like a better permanent solution and I think it would look cleaner as well.

I really doubt Steve will release it if it doesn't beat or at least sound as good as the ZenHead.

Way to go on selecting gear I really think you'll be happy!

Lon...Yes I have a CSP2 and I've heard lots of people say that it is the cat's meow with Tori 11 but I've never figured out which settings work well.

Generally when I've tried it I don't think it sounds as good and I just go back to ZCD>Tori direct.

Any elaboration on settings for the ZCD, CSP2 and tori. I'm open to hear everything from impedance on tori to output knobs on ZCD, trim pots on CSP2.

Please let me know. (We can pm as to not highjack this thread).

Thanks,

Parker

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print