08/30/14 at 17:20:24

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
DECFEST 2009 (Read 30497 times)
stevef
Ex Member

Re: DECFEST 2009
Reply #45 - 10/08/09 at 04:56:53

Don't know if they got any play time.  Perhaps the flaw this year was that new equipment didn't get rotated into the mix. On Saturday I had to ask specifically for the Mini Torii to be put in the system.  The fest is VERY casual, a good thing, but I hope next year that the new stuff gets played on Saturday.  
Decware makes quite a few different products.  I doubt if it's possible to combine all of the amps, speakers, and sources and provide ample time for critical listening.  Remember people brought some of their own gear to see how well it matched up with Decware products.  Dave Dutill brought his Excalibur flagship speaker along to give us a chance to hear his implementation of a Heil driver.  We did a lot of mix and match but didn't have a chance to try everything.  There were a couple of tech glitches too.  They took a bit of time to solve.  Every show has them.  
Maybe next year, those who can't attend can ask for reviews of certain products by attendees.  There were some sharp people in attendance, who would have great comments.  The average experienced audiophile is a much more honest reviewer than  magazine hacks.

Steve

PS:  I personally took time to stop listening to "talk shop" with Steve, Bob, Dave, and discuss listening sessions with experienced audiophiles like Randy.  So much audio & not enough time!!!!

« Last Edit: 10/08/09 at 05:05:27 by stevef »  
  IP Logged
JasonGmt
Verified Member

Reply #46 - 10/09/09 at 20:37:48

Thanks so much for having such a great event each year! This was my first, but I am sure will not be my last. I could tell this is a seasoned event and everything is covered for the guests. What Hospitality! DeVon and Sarah, you ladies Rawk! Always attentive to any needs of your guest and customers.

I really had a great time and felt very at home, thanks to Steve, DeVon and Sarah.

Steve, thanks for all you have done for Decfest and developing, producing and providing such wonderful gear, as well as all the rest of the Decware crew that contribute to the magic. I hope to continue learning from the Master and sharing in your revelations and reading all about your ongoing developments and any new ones. Being involved in each of your designs through your white papers, online manuals, or write-ups is one of my favorite aspects to Decware.

It was an honor to meet everyone and I look forward to keeping in touch with people. I really enjoyed my time and talks with Chris K, Bob Z, Wally, DeVon and Sarah the most, but everyone I talked to was enriching and I look forward to more at the next event I get to experience.

If you haven't gone to a Decfest yet, I plead with you to make it happen. It will be worth the effort. Very rewarding and eye opening.

Thanks again to everyone at the event for making it such a special event and memory for me.

I am very excited to start building a foundation for my personal audio arsenal, with some great Decware products.

First up will be some DYI corner horns, will keep posting on that as it develops and any other gear additions.

jason g.

« Last Edit: 10/09/09 at 20:38:53 by JasonGmt »  
  IP Logged
stevef
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 10/10/09 at 20:44:30

Jason,

Please take some pictures of your horn building experience.   I was very impressed with their sound too.  I heard them before in Steve's old office/room and liked them then.  The new room is a bit tougher acoustically, but I enjoyed them more.  Since I am always too busy to build new stuff, I'd like to find out if the build is very difficult before I try to find time for it.  Good luck & have fun with your project.

Steve F

IP Logged
stevef
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 10/10/09 at 20:53:22

Did anyone get to listen to the new version of the Torii III?  The only new amp I got to seriously audition was the Mini Torii & I loved it?  Reading back through this thread made me realize we missed something.

Steve Roll Eyes Smiley

IP Logged
Young_SC
Seasoned Member

I love Decware 1G -
SP1!

Reply #49 - 10/11/09 at 02:41:29

Was anyone running around with a camera at the Fest?

Would love to see some pics.

Marantz CD 63KI (modded)
Monica 2 DAC with I/V output stage
ZBox
Decware SE84CEX
Homebuilt HDT's with doughnuts
Enamelled copper wire IC's with Eichmann plugs
Enamelled copper wire speaker cables
Young_SC   IP Logged
artyg
Verified Member

Reply #50 - 10/12/09 at 01:37:46

Tori III was excellent!!  So much so that I ordered one.  They seemed to be especially synergistic with the ERRs.  I feel the extra power added a lot to the body of the music.

IP Logged
artyg
Verified Member

Reply #51 - 10/12/09 at 01:39:16

I forgot to add that I could not tell the difference between the mini torii and the III

IP Logged
Nelson Bass
Verified Member

Zen Open Baffle
Reply #52 - 10/12/09 at 16:21:57

Anyone heard the Zen Open Baffle at the festival? Tongue

If they are so good as described in the latest article about'em I wonder why Steve setup the Acoustat in first place? Huh

IP Logged
DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 10/12/09 at 23:40:09

The "Stats" are his reference. (I think)

dennis

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #54 - 10/15/09 at 01:02:32

Quote:
Anyone heard the Zen Open Baffle at the festival? Tongue

If they are so good as described in the latest article about'em I wonder
why Steve setup the Acoustat in first place?

If I were you, I would be wondering the same thing!  Setting up the entire array is a bit of a commitment that makes it hard to hook up anything else while it's in play. A logistics thing. Nevertheless I did hook it up and attempt to dial it in so people could hear it. This year it got set up at the opposite end of the room vs. last year. Again, it had rather excellent bass before I got the broadcast system turned on... just like last year. And like last year, the broadcast system was balanced in at a level so low that no one realized it was on. Some of the comments from those who were listening to them as I got the broadcast system on line said it enhanced the image size and increased the sound stage depth and width.

There is no question that the speakers will fly on their own on in many rooms without the need for a sub or broadcast system. After seeing reactions to the speakers both this year and last, I am confident that my excitement in the papers was justified and not just proud papa syndrome.

If I didn't have the Acoustats I would have used the ZOB to demo the DAC in the evenings, no question. However, this year's focal point was the DAC and new amps so with respect to the DAC I decided to let everyone hear my reference. While most wouldn't know it, the Acoustats are so fast and honest that for me anyway they've been a vinyl only system. Every good DAC I've got to try over the years has confirmed this. My DAC, which I designed for myself primarily, is actually not only listenable but with good recordings head shakingly good with the Acoustats.  So in that light, it was kind of like "hey, look I did the impossible - made Acoustats sound right on digital!

I'll be publishing the plans and adding the Zen Open Baffles to the catalog in the coming months.

Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
goraman
Verified Member

Reply #55 - 10/18/09 at 18:38:26

Am I just missing the obvious,There are times and a date and no location for the fest.

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 10/18/09 at 20:48:20

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #57 - 10/21/09 at 02:34:55

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print