Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/31/14 at 05:23:05

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF MINI TORII SE-X (Read 11087 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

MINI TORII GAIN
Reply #15 - 07/07/09 at 02:05:20

A note about the gain of the Mini Torii. With a standard two volt source,  the amp can be taken to around 1/2 volume (5 or 6 clicks) without distortion. Interestingly enough when you use a variable source with a max output of 5 volts or so, you can find a magic point on the source volume where the amp really starts to hit. So with the gain control on the amp set to 1/2 volume or less, the amp can tolerate and enjoys a lot of gain at the source or preamp. On the other hand, if you're driving the amp with an IPOD or perhaps off a single DAC chip where you're lucky to get a full volt of output, then you can run the Mini Torii volume at almost max or max.

Steve

« Last Edit: 07/07/09 at 02:06:45 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF MINI TORII SE-X
Reply #16 - 07/18/09 at 01:42:29

The comments about gain are dead-on. I just secured some Tung sol reissue 6V6 tubes and OA3 voltage regulators. I am "beginning at the beginning with the amp. Soon I will post a full, thrilling report complete with snapshots.

For now, a picture of my canine doggie, Desi.   
« Last Edit: 07/18/09 at 01:51:38 by Rivieraranch »  

090513006-2.jpg

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
KimKman

Reply #17 - 07/21/09 at 04:28:44

Still in the process of setting up my office system. Some cleanup and finally carried the HDT's up the steps.

So, was thinking tonight let's take the Mini Torii downstairs and have a listen. Hooked the amp up to my Von S VR4's (90db) the CSP2 and ZP3.

Amp is out of the box stock. Extremely impressed. Silky smooth yet incredible detail along with a bass I was having a little trouble getting over. It was almost as if I had a bass guitar plugged straight into the amp. One of the best live replications I have heard. On top of all this I had plenty of power to listen at my normal listening levels and even pushed it a bit above that to test things out. I would not have an issue listening to this amp full time on these speakers although will be happy when I get all setup in the office with the HDT's.

Anyway great amp and an extremely good value in my mind.

Regards,
KimKman

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/05/09 at 02:00:27

After several days of not listening to my unit I swapped the OA3 voltage regulators for OD3's with the 6V6 power tubes in place. It seems to attenuate the sound. I am not sure that I like the higher voltage being applied to the outputs. I also have OB3 and OC3 tubes as well. Maybe there is a middle ground with the output voltage.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #19 - 08/05/09 at 03:04:31

Quote:
I am not sure that I like the higher voltage being applied to the outputs. I also have OB3 and OC3 tubes as well. Maybe there is a middle ground with the output voltage.

One thing you can try is running some 12AT7's in the front end and see what that does with the OD3.  BTW, the OA3 is a 75 volt tube, meaning that is the voltage drop it shows to the grid of the output tube.  The OA3 is showing the grid the highest voltage (least drop) of all the VR tubes.  The OD3 shows the output tube grid the lowest voltage, hence the lower output.

I actually listen to mine with the stock tube compliment I ship in the amps.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 08/06/09 at 01:15:29

I tried running Mullard CV4024 (12AT7) in front, with the new Tung Sol 6L6GT STR and OA3 tubes I got from Jim McShane. The sound is very BIG with no loss of detail or distortion. The bass is incredible.

090806_028.JPG

IP Logged
KimKman

Reply #21 - 08/06/09 at 03:44:08

I am still impressed with the Mini in stock form with the 6P6S(6n6c) tubes. Bass guitar is astounding. Will play though Smiley

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 08/07/09 at 03:02:08

I backed off the voltage regulators to OC3's with the 6L6GC's and it sounds smoother, but still BIG, which is nice.

IP Logged
brians7
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 08/16/09 at 01:41:16

I think that the 6v6 variant sound best . I scored 3 5992 on Ebay braned 6V6gta Sylvania, and they sound great. I gess every body was slipping that day. The 6l6 sound good maby fuller and more relaxed with less focus. Just my opinion.   Brian

IP Logged
eagertrader
Verified Member

Reply #24 - 09/04/09 at 18:34:23

Disclaimer: I am a newbie to Decware.

After looking at the Decware herd, my preferences and my budget I determined that the Mini Torii SEX would work best for my primary system, and I am intrigued by this thread where it seems that most everyone is using it at a secondary system in their offices and not as their main rig. Why is that so?  
My speakers are large Back Loaded Horns using an 8' single driver Fostex 206 ES-R @ 98db efficiency.
Any input on this would be much appreciated.  

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 09/06/09 at 13:09:35

I am using the Mini Torii as a main home amplifier, not an office system. It has all the authority, spank, heft, or whatever your favorite term is for something substantial. I think that some of the other amps, such as the SE84 would be better in an office system.

If your speakers are 2 OHM impedance you might want to ask Steve whether or not to order the Mini Torii with the regular (not-EX) transformers.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #26 - 09/07/09 at 00:00:59

eagertrader

Welcome to the forum.....

If you read the papers Steve has written on the Mini Torii the size was perfect for a desk top amp and I think a lot of guys bought for just that purpose. With that said, after talking to Steve quite a bit about the Mini Torii, and him telling me the version we heard at last years Decfest was just a diamond in the rough, (can't wait to hear the production unit at this years Decfest) what I heard will be a great main system amp given the speakers you are using.  I don't know how much better the amp could have gotten, as I would have bought what I heard last year, time will only tell, which is now just a month away.

The Mini Torii should be a perfect match for BLH Fostex's...

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
eagertrader
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 09/07/09 at 02:43:40

Thank you all for your feed back. I stand notified. When I first contacted Steve Deckert and told him of what I wanted from a system, what I have and my musical preferences, he reccomended the Mini Torii SEX because my speakers are 8 ohms and very efficient.
He's the guru and I am not, thus I had already decided to defer to his advise. Your comments further validates what I've been reading about this rig. Can't wait to get my hands on one.
I will play it with the stock tubes for a few months  at first until I get used to its sound and it breaks in (I'd also appreciate any comments as to how long this takes). Then, I may do some tube rolling, although I suspect that Decware did a lot of that until they settled on what they felt works best. No harm in exploring though.
Once I settled on the best tube combination for my taste and use, I may explore rolling the caps w/V-caps, Mundorf or maybe even Audio Notes (if any of you has experimented w/that on the Mini I'd also like to hear about it). Not being a tech person I would probably consult w/Steve before any cap replacements.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 10/13/09 at 02:02:05

The Mini Torii SEX is back from a change in potentiometers (pots) and the repair of one of the on/off switches. I slipped some new JJ 6V6's in with 1957 OA3 regulators, 1969 JAN Phillips 6X4WA's, 1960 RCA OC2 and 1959 Sylvania Baldwin square getter 12AU7's. The new volume controls are superb; the originals had steps that limited the modulation in volume to a series of steps. These new ones are regular pots that turn without clicking.

I tried it for a few days with the CSP2 feeding it, but for some reason, when the CD player is connected directly to the TORII it sings. Either I don't know how to coordinate the CSP2 with the Mini, or it is not workable.  I think the Mini does not need a pre and in fact does better without one.  It seems like the preamp holds it back.

Now with the Mini connected directly to the CD player I hear thunderous bass and a nice midrange. The stereo separation is wonderful. I am sure that my speakers are part of this mix.  

« Last Edit: 10/13/09 at 02:02:49 by Rivieraranch »  

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

My owner only hears
to 16K WELL I can
hear to 60K!

Reply #29 - 10/14/09 at 01:50:04

RR,
What/who did the new pots? What kind are they? Please do tell.

Hi-Fi Gear: More than I need! Not as much as I want!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print