Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/25/14 at 07:57:58

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
These are a few of my favorite things. . . . (Read 6899 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: These are a few of my favorite things. . . .
Reply #15 - 06/12/09 at 19:21:03

Homey,

Yeah, Pierre would be mad!  And I used to suspend my cables following his advice, and I think it DID make a difference with the cryo'd Cat 5 and 6 cables I used to use.   But I didn't notice any difference with the heavily jacketed PS Audio XStream Statement cables I have, and I don't notice a difference with these excellent Zen Styx.  Steve himself, somewhere on this forum or its neighboring forum, mentioned he didn't hear or think there was any difference with these cables sitting on carpet or floor.

I love these cables!  They really came to life with the Torii Mark II!

The base to my amp is a custom one made by Bob (Ziggy) as this was HIS amp.  It's Tiger Maple with Wenge legs. The feet are spaced too wide to anchor the amp on my maple platform; I have it on Herbie Audio Lab Isocups.  The finish is beautiful, like a very dark cherry, perhaps walnut.

This is how the amp looked when Bob sold it; it has been gone over and updated by Steve to have the current production specs, including the new Christmas Come Early mod.

« Last Edit: 06/12/09 at 19:23:07 by Lon »  

Picture017.jpg

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 06/12/09 at 22:29:56

Lon I have my ERR radials much closer to the back wall than that, maybe 2 1/2 feet out into the room and about 7-8 feet apart. I have scooted them all around and this sounds good to me. The back wall sounds like a huge speaker or soundstage and there is quite a bit of depth. I sit about 3-4 feet away and close to the middle but it's not that critical as with normal speakers.

My system: Decware Taboo, CSP2, ZP3, Pro-Ject RM 10 / Grado Reference Sonata, Adcom 700, ERR Radials, Lots of Mapleshade, Kimber and Herbie's stuff.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 06/13/09 at 12:44:59

Well, each room is different. . . my room is very long, as it'incorporates a dining room behind the sitting position the picture was taken from.

If I bring the speakers closer to the rear wall I hard edged treble and LESS depth.  I get more depth moving them out into the room.

Admittedly I have RL2s and you have ERRs and I guess i might find out in a few months when my ERRs arrive.  They're differnt designs in significant ways.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/13/09 at 16:26:46

I am set up on the long wall but not centered on that long wall. I was able to push the ERRs back a couple feet more than the JM Reynauds I was using. Now when neighbors visit I don't get as many "Why you got your speakers in the middle of the floor" comments. Smiley I do get comments like "That looks like Frankenstine's laboratory" or "Is that a science project?" My favorite is "That's some of that old time stereo gear". But I get no such comments about the speakers which everyone loves till they look under the grills then they don't understand how they work. But when they listen they are really amazed and all have said that is the best they have ever heard.

My system: Decware Taboo, CSP2, ZP3, Pro-Ject RM 10 / Grado Reference Sonata, Adcom 700, ERR Radials, Lots of Mapleshade, Kimber and Herbie's stuff.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 06/14/09 at 14:25:45

When I have visitors over they're not sure where the sound is coming from.

I like that.

I love the Radial design.  And the Torii Mark II is bringing out the best of my RL2s.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #20 - 06/14/09 at 18:12:50

Not to hi-jack the thread-- I've had many people visit to listen to music, very few seem to have the capacity to really pay attention. (maybe it's my gear, maybe the music, maybe it's my visitors!!)
For me, if the music grabs me, it'll do it on a boom-box, cassette tapes, whatever.
(Back to regular programming Smiley)
Don

Decware SE34I w/ CCE mod, ZCD, Heybrook/Linn/Clearaudio, Hagerman,
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #21 - 06/14/09 at 19:17:05

Don, no worries about hijaciking, my whole point with this thread was to get some discussion going.

Yeah.  I have one friend who I have passively MADE pay attention to details of the musical presentation that we discuss here. He's a musician and we share a lot of musical interests.  So we get together and listen to a lot of music and he's heard things in my system that he didn't hear in his. . . and it's made him improve his system somewhat.  

Both us like you can get into music on a boombox or from someone's car radio on the other side of the parking lot or from a clock radio . . . but I always want to then experience it on the system. .. I just love how the system protrays the fantasy with a more realistic finish.

A lot of persons visiting me expect to hear music playing and are taken aback by the sound. . . but they don't have a sustaining interest in either music or stereo systems to get interested in their own audio journey.  And a few. . . don't have the resources and won't let themselves "go there." Some have external drives full of MP3s that they listen to on little desktop speakers. Which is cool, but now how I prefer to listen. But it's good that they're so into music that the grab all these MP3s.  Not many I know are that into the "software". . . I definitely am into both software and hardware.

« Last Edit: 06/14/09 at 19:18:17 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 06/15/09 at 20:48:27

You guys hit on something. I often hear a song on the radio, in the car, on TV or on someone else's audio system which may be a glorified boom box. It makes me wonder how it would sound on my system. The reverse is having someone listen to a song on my system and exclaim it didn't sound that good on my system or in the car. I think we all somehow reach our own level of perfection and different people have different proprieties.

IP Logged
Hasafraker
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 07/13/09 at 21:31:22

This is one of my favorite things, next to my new SE84DIY, this is the amp I listen to at work, it's also my first fully hand built by me amp. It's a mono SET amp using a single 13EM7 for about 1.25 watts. It sounds great and helps keep me sane Wink  and since I'm thinking about it, my wife got me both of the Melody Gardot albums... I highly recommend folks that haven't heard her yet give her a listen if they like female jazz vocals Smiley

« Last Edit: 07/13/09 at 21:37:18 by Hasafraker »  

favoritething.jpg

pwells~

SE84DIY w/cce mod, ZSP1, VSPS DIY phono stage w/separate psu, Sansui SR-525 Turntable, Nagaoka MP-100 mm cart, Tekton Design 8.1's 97db@1w, all cables and interconnects DIY. Now we're cookin Wink
WWW hasafraker hasafraker   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 07/13/09 at 22:53:09

Wow, that's cool!  Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 07/14/09 at 04:00:54

Lon your Peachtree is on the cover of Stereophile Mag.

Had a friend over today with his 15 year old grandson and I was listening to my system. The grandson said it looked cool and asked how many watts it had. I told him 6 and he didn't believe me till I showed him the owners manual. He was guessing about 300 watts. LOL

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 07/14/09 at 11:23:10

Well, that's neat about the Peachtree.

Yes, no one can believe how unpowerful these Decware amps are.  :)

IP Logged
76doublebass
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 07/20/09 at 21:58:14

Well u asked for things. So I assume other then audio. So I'll show u  a couple or more Cheesy
Don c.
How about a photo of me with my double bass trombone just after a symphony concert. This was taken atleast 8 years ago. I still have the same horn,But we now play in a 6 million dollar performing arts center The McIntyre Hall

scan0018.jpg
  IP Logged
76doublebass
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 07/20/09 at 22:05:36

My Ichiro Signature photo when he surpassed the all time hit record in baseball in 2004. DON't asked what I paid for this?
This was not the photo u see alot of (his 262nd hit) of the that year ,But his 258th hit.
Don C. Cheesy

007_19.jpg
  IP Logged
76doublebass
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 07/20/09 at 22:21:18

A COPY OF OUR ORCHESTRA IN THE 6 MILLION DOLLAR HALL. The McIntyre Hall partially funded by Burl Ives Widow. Its an absolute joy to play in this hall.I'm way in the back row far right side with my tbone.
Don C. Cheesy

orchestra.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print