Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/23/14 at 23:27:45

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
The Christmas comes early mod! (Read 54125 times)
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Re: The Christmas comes early mod!
Reply #75 - 09/28/12 at 21:06:38

Well, I did the Hazen mod on my old Gen 1 Blue Torii today using 0.1uf 400V metallized poly caps between pins 1 and 8.  Let me say that I fully believe the benefits others are experiencing with their amps, but this old Torii design was a very unique one where the suppressor grid had always just been floating, not connected to anything in any way.  

Suffice it to say the mod did not work in my Blue Torii.  But it may work great in later Toriis which are a very different design.  Mine immediately sounded like feedback had been added, volume reduced, highs harsh, dynamics compressed, loud passages pushing amp into nasty distortion never heard previously, soundstage so narrow everyone sounds like they are on top of each other, immediacy gone, timbral accuracy gone, amp running super hot.  Just shut it down after two hours before something gets cooked.  At first, I wondered if the caps needed to burn in, but there's no way with all that distortion on loud passages.

Oh well, the amp did sound awesome before the mod.  Those caps are coming out for good.

Funny how some things work and others don't.  The early Torii is a singular design, rather unstable.  I suspect this mod may have set up some kind of ultra high freq distortion or instability.  This is highly unlikely to happen in the other amps which are more stable designs.  

Once again, I really do expect this is a great mod as described in most all other Zen amps -- but not my old blue Torii.  It's wonderful without it and miserable with it.

Fun to try.  Just didn't pan out.

Modded Zen Torii Kit 0feedback Ferrari T.
-Current input fav: ITT Lorenz 6922 gold
Transport: Sony 685V modded using large Russian teflon caps on the DAC chip
Speakers: Massive Unity Horns
Subwoofer: WO32 Decware
  IP Logged
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Reply #76 - 09/28/12 at 23:23:09

Quick follow up.  Issac Stern is back in my living room, violining ~yeah!  Took out the caps and the magic mojo is back on tap.  Pretty hard to improve on this amp.  Of course, without feedback, THD will get pretty high if pushed, but with 94db speakers, rarely doing much of that.

OK, so on the Blue Torii (Gen 1) the Hazen mod was trouble whereas it is apparently super for most other Zens, likely including MKII and III Toriis.  I think I partially cooked my new cryo'd EL34s trying the mod, but that's life.  This amp is a temperamental beast, but I love it.  It speaks audio truth like nothing else I've owned.

Oh well.  I still have a few tricks to try for a tiny gain here or there.  Tomorrow, switching out my current fav Sanyo DD54RC TV damper rectifiers to try the Cree SiC Schottky rectifiers.  Like I said, hard to make this amp better, but it's not hard to swap out SS rectifiers once you get to be a good solder slinger.   Tongue

But for tonight, I'll just enjoy the music!  ;D

IP Logged
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Reply #77 - 09/30/12 at 02:23:55

If Blue Torii MK1 and any other amp owners who have solid state rectifiers want a cheap thrill, buy 4 of these http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&... and have them installed in place of whatever you're using.  Just installed four today and they have nicely made a fine amp much finer.  Everything is improved.  Imaging, coherency, detail, listenability, high-end sweetness, realism, dynamics, timbral accuracy, naturalness, ability to focus easily on any instrument in an orchestra.  These rectifiers only come in a T0-220 package form, but a little attention to detail and anyone who can hold a soldering iron can do this.  These are Cree Silicon Carbide Schottky diodes.  The 600V model chosen as it has better specs on reverse current leakage vs the 1200v model.  Next, massive 10amp model chosen not because anywhere near 10 amps is needed, but because this is the one with the most internal capacitance at 480pF every time the rectifier goes to 0 volts -- like having a best snubber circuit built-in.

These rectifiers made more difference than any other mod in my Blue Torii amp and that includes using big $ buck vintage gold pin input tubes and total cost including shipping less than $25. for all four of these diode rectifiers.  I am now more sold than ever that best solid state rectification is darn fine in tube amps.  And these rectifiers should stay great or maybe even break-in and sound slightly better with time. Tube rectifiers, if great, may sound as great, but are always getting worse from day one.

I am convinced now that this Blue Torii is ready to be A-B'd against anything -- and likely win the contest.  It is SO much better than my Select which was a very fine amp.  This one has more detail and dynamic realism - nice! Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print