Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/20/14 at 11:49:25

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
The Christmas comes early mod! (Read 55194 times)
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Re: The Christmas comes early mod!
Reply #60 - 10/18/09 at 19:22:09

Hi ko,

If I read correctly you used metallized polyprop caps instead of polyester caps? I also used mp caps (xicons), because that's what I had.

Theoretically the mp caps you used are at a higher level of quality than the polyesters.

I believe an inexpensive polyester cap was suggested because it would be more than adequate (boutique caps are not required).

Karl

« Last Edit: 10/18/09 at 19:22:24 by veryoldcat »  

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
lightmaster

life is too short
for bad hifi.
Really!

Reply #61 - 10/23/09 at 23:52:05

I realize I am late at this, I have been busy and did not check the forum for a while and when I get back I find this, what I see has simply become the "CCE Mod".

I am so impressed with your work guys, you have taken a centennial technology and found something new in it, I am indeed impressed. From the descriptions it sounds very much like another unresolved mystery of the tube world, the odd "bloom" that tube amps experience after they have been on sometime. It really looks like we are still far away from totally understanding tubes Smiley and I certainly cannot see the end of this technology anywhere or anytime soon.

the D amps seemed to challenge the tube world, but clearly the force is still strong in tubeland Smiley

kudos to the Decware team!

“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert E.
WWW lightmaster   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #62 - 10/25/09 at 20:41:19

There is presently a discussion going on at the DIY audio forums about the CCE (or Hazen) mod.  I've written a part II to the paper talking more about how it works to perpetuate more discussion about it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/153779-anyone-try-hazen-mod-g3-supre...

Part II of the paper is here:
http://www.decware.com/newsite/paper146.html

Thanks,

Steve

« Last Edit: 10/25/09 at 20:42:06 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

NIbbelin NFX

Reply #63 - 11/05/09 at 23:43:23

All I have to do is open up my Select and safely solder a 0.1 microfarad polyester 400 v or more capacitor between pins 3 and 6 of both outputs.  Is that it?

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, home built Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, Klipsch RF-7, SE34.I, Zbox
WWW   IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #64 - 11/06/09 at 04:14:53

That's all there is to it, rmt...

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

NIbbelin NFX

Reply #65 - 12/05/09 at 22:31:19

Thanks for the info Karl.  Another question please.  Pin 6 is empty on both sockets now, that's easy.  Each pin 3 has a single wire coming off it.  One is red, the other is white and they tie together at a large gold colored(resistor?)  Those wires should remain undisturbed right?  And no problems using a mylar capacitor, correct?

Ok, never mind, I could not wait.  Soldered the caps in, put it all back together and started it up.  I had a fire extinguisher in hand and safety glasses on.  So far very good. I hooked up an old dvd and my bookshelf speakers for a test.  Spent a few minutes with Johnny A spinning - the amp sounds lusher, fuller.  Changing the bias setting seems to have more of a difference now too.  My little Boston HD7s are only five feet away from me and they have completely disappeared.   I call that a success.  I am quite pleased with the low quality gear I am testing it with.   With the Zbox, Dec 685, and my nibblelin NFx I expect it will even get better.

« Last Edit: 12/06/09 at 03:25:37 by rmt »  

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, home built Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, Klipsch RF-7, SE34.I, Zbox
WWW   IP Logged
lightmaster

life is too short
for bad hifi.
Really!

Reply #66 - 12/13/09 at 21:34:31

I guess it´s in my nature to always ask questions? so I hope you will bear with me.

why is the value of the cap 0.1uf? and have you tried other values and with what results?
ohh and while we are at it, why is the quality of the cap not important. I mean is that ever true?
I guess at this stage only steve and the guru Hazen himself may have an answer?

or not??? Smiley

« Last Edit: 12/13/09 at 22:04:45 by lightmaster »  

michkhol
Verified Member

Reply #67 - 02/08/10 at 16:17:57

After several months of regular listening I still cannot hear any difference that is worth mentioning.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #68 - 02/10/10 at 00:13:42

Hi Michkhol,

I'm just wondering if you have it on a switch.  Even with a switch it can be hard to catch because the effect takes several seconds to build up before it is noticed.  You almost have to be listening with it on, and then turn it off to hear an immediate change.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #69 - 02/10/10 at 00:20:01

Quote:
why is the value of the cap 0.1uf? and have you tried other values and with what results?
ohh and while we are at it, why is the quality of the cap not important. I mean is that ever true?
I guess at this stage only steve and the guru Hazen himself may have an answer?

The 0.1uf value was used to place the effect inside the audio band where it would have an effect on the upper bass on out to the treble region.  Changing the value changes the time constant which will effect where in the frequency band it acts and also how images present themselves in the sound stage.  Using a 0.01 for example would push the effect up so high in the frequency band that if anything were noticed it would only be in the upper treble.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
lightmaster

life is too short
for bad hifi.
Really!

Reply #70 - 03/13/10 at 10:49:56

thxs for the reply steve!
that makes perfect sense. I just was not sure what the real function of the cap in that position was and if this logic still applied. Clearly it does.

Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #71 - 10/22/10 at 17:47:45

The 1K 2W resistor between the plate (pin 3) and the suppressor grid (pin 1) must be removed before installing the 0.1uf 400v poly cap between pin 1 and the cathode (pin 8).

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 01/16/11 at 00:35:33

Hi, I don't see this mentioned anywhere: my zenkit 1 pcb came with traces and  holes for the 0,1 uf caps to be soldered between pins 3 and 6 on both output tubes. Am I lucky or what????

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 06/17/12 at 14:29:38

Bump///  Is this mod a regular feature of the current Zen Triode amps that ship with the SV83 output tubes?... It would seem like the prudent thing to do... Gotta admit, I'm pretty much out-of-the-loop here... Not all that technically proficient on tube technology... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Reply #74 - 09/23/12 at 20:17:55

Sounds like my coming out of suspended animation after 10 years is already paying off as I never heard of this cap mod!  I'm sure I have some .1uf, 500V or 600V caps lying about -- probably russian teflons I bought years ago and I suspect they shouldn't hurt the sound vs poly.  

Just checked the pin-out on the EL34 and looks like the place for the cap is between pins 1 and 8 to cap-connect the cathode and suppressor grid.

I read both white papers from 2009 -- interesting stuff.  Can't say I understand what's going on yet.  I'll plug in the mod today on my first gen modded Torii and see what it does.  Easily reversible if not liked, but somehow I expect good things.

Been so long since any mods done on my Torii the dust is getting thick, lol!  :-)

Modded Zen Torii Kit 0feedback Ferrari T.
-Current input fav: ITT Lorenz 6922 gold
Transport: Sony 685V modded using large Russian teflon caps on the DAC chip
Speakers: Massive Unity Horns
Subwoofer: WO32 Decware
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print