Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/29/14 at 07:42:38

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
The Christmas comes early mod! (Read 58883 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

The Christmas comes early mod!
06/02/09 at 05:08:01

The CCE mod is now available for all Decware amplifies that use EL34's or SV83's (aka 6P15P-EV)

http://www.decware.com/newsite/paper145.htm

This is big news... If you love your Zen amp, and your ears are dialed into it, this will frankly blow you mind.  You'll shake your head for at least a year, every time you listen to it.  It improves the power, improves the punch, improves the midrange, basically it improves everything.

Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
mike_gagne

Re: The Christmas comes early mod!
Reply #1 - 06/02/09 at 09:13:31

Steve, will this become a feature of your Zkit line also?

IP Logged
Jeff
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 06/02/09 at 15:46:26

does this mod apply to the taboo also?
would i still be able to use el84 tubes?

IP Logged
michkhol
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/03/09 at 20:00:30

Steve,

could you publish the phase response (as a function of frequency) of the amplifier before and after the mod?

thanks.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 06/03/09 at 23:14:15

Mike,

Not sure on the ZKIT1 and ZKIT2.  I may add the option to both boards when I run out of the ones I have.  However it's not hard to modify the existing boards.

Jeff,

The mod will work on the Taboo if you use the 6P15P-EV tubes.  When EL84's are used it will sound exactly the same as it does now.  This is also true with the SE84C family of amps.

Michkhol,

Yea, I could do that next time we check one.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brett

Reply #5 - 06/05/09 at 20:01:34

Steve,

For us SE84 kit owners, is there a particular value of film cap we should use?

Thanks,

-Brett

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 06/05/09 at 21:26:15

Use a 0.1uf 400V polyester film

WWW   IP Logged
Brett

Reply #7 - 06/06/09 at 00:35:24

Well the mod is a success. I've had my Zen for many years now, and it has never ceased to impress how high it's fidelity can get within reasonable means. This tweak has brought this amp to another level, and it's exciting to think that it can be done without raising the cost much. Thanks to Mr Hazen and Mr Deckert for discovering yet another way to make these unassuming amps embarrass expensive gear.

The word 'bloom' keeps coming up in my mind. Dynamics are improved by a large degree. Everything is now more distinct in the separations of instruments in the image, and subtle textures in voices and recording effects. Everything sounds fuller as music surrounds your area with more presence.

It absolutely sounds more pleasant to the ear. The speakers do seem to be disappearing more and a sibilance noticeable on certain albums has smoothed out revealing more details in the mix.

Bass is also more detailed and is finding perfect balance with the rest of the spectrum.

For such a subtle change to the circuit, the effect is really quite surprising. I'm finding it really easy to switch off critical thought and take in the recordings. It's a very inviting presentation.

I have already upgraded to V-Caps, and I would say this is easily as beneficial if not more. Like the V-Caps, it enhances every aspect of the amp without losing any of it's best qualities.

The upgrade is certainly worth the asking price. And considering all those used zen amps out there, offering a lifetime warranty along with the upgrade is a sweet deal.

-Brett

IP Logged
d_zoolander
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 06/07/09 at 04:11:00

Steve
In Taboo schematics, I see the the suppressor grid connected to the cathode. Is this internally connected? Because, I see nothing connected to pin 6 inside the amp (pin 6 is the suppressor grid I believe?).

Thanks

Derek

Modded Squeezebox , Monica 3 DAC, Burson Buffer, CSP, Taboo, MG944, Tripp Lite Isolation xfrmrs, Signal Cable ICs
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 06/08/09 at 02:31:01

In the Taboo schematic an EL84 is used, which is internally connected.  As we all know, a 6P15P-EV also works in the Taboo.  

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
d_zoolander
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 06/08/09 at 03:41:00

So when 6p15p-EV is used, the suppressor grid is 'floating'?

Thanks

Modded Squeezebox , Monica 3 DAC, Burson Buffer, CSP, Taboo, MG944, Tripp Lite Isolation xfrmrs, Signal Cable ICs
  IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 06/08/09 at 05:55:54

Steve,

You said this mod can be done at your place. For guys like us, who cannot send the gear to you, what are the available options? Any form of a DIY or something?

shreekant Smiley

84C, ZBox, Ex mod, Zkit4&5.1, Vcap, CCE, Lowthers, CD200, Power iso and other stuff
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #12 - 06/08/09 at 11:12:08

Also Steve, See Shreekant's question in the ZKit 5 forum. . . . Thanks.

« Last Edit: 06/08/09 at 12:14:03 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 06/09/09 at 15:30:01

zoolander, yes the suppressor grid is floating.

proud_indian,  connect a 0.1uf 400V polyether cap between pins 3 and 6 of both output tubes.

lon, answered it on audiophiletalk since he posted it there first.

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #14 - 06/09/09 at 15:30:55

Thanks, I didn't see that because I'm no longer going to post at that place.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print