Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/28/14 at 08:56:08

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Granite base for 1.5's? (Read 3367 times)
Gmad
Verified Member

Granite base for 1.5's?
05/04/09 at 21:41:36

Any thoughts on what a 12x12x1/2" granite tile (about 6 pounds) placed under each speaker might do for the bass response of the 1.5's? My floor is not the most solid (basement below) and alot of energy is being absorbed and radiated through the floor. Thanks.
--Greg

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Re: Granite base for 1.5's?
Reply #1 - 05/05/09 at 19:46:08

From what I have seen and heard of the 1.5, it might tighten up the response a bit. I do believe it would be an improvement, but I think you may find yourself messing with the distance from the bottom of the speaker to the peice of granite. If you can get that space just right, it is amazing how the bass response changes. It's a little change for the most part, but when it's right.......

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Gmad
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/05/09 at 21:27:16

Thanks for sharing that thought. I will try 3/4" granite (about 12 pounds) at some point and we'll see what happens.........

IP Logged
Gmad
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/17/09 at 22:13:09

OK change of plans... I decided a granite plinth would probably create as many new resonance problems as it would solve so I decided to make something with natural tone properties and good dampening. I cut two squares out of Red Oak, beveled the edges and stained them. I put a thin cork mat under and on top of each plinth. Finally I removed the spike tips from the Radials and placed them directly on the cork surface. Wow, what a difference! Much less floor vibration and I believe EVERYTHING has improved. I did not expect this much of a change and so far it seems all positive. At least in my room this really seems like the way to go. I have attempted to attach a picture. --Greg

Oak_Plinth.JPG
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4 - 05/17/09 at 23:22:12

Quite nicely done!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Gmad
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 05/18/09 at 22:28:47

Thanks Lon. Really enjoying it...... --Greg

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print