Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/14 at 18:06:00

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
This forum. . . sleeply little town (Read 5288 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: This forum. . . sleeply little town
Reply #30 - 06/12/09 at 22:44:40

That's interesting.

Walnut is a beautiful wood.  Not that big a fan of the "burled" walnut though.

I'm the grandson of a cabinet-maker and I know that on his side at least four generations before him all the men worked in wood (my great great great great great grandfather was the pipe organ builder David Tannenberg). http://www.davidtannenberg.com/  Probably were cabinte makers in the family long before then.  But . . . I never learned how to do much with wood.  I should at least whittle! Smiley

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
mike_gagne

Reply #31 - 06/13/09 at 07:52:09

If you want to work with wood, Lon, you had better hurry. We are sort of running out of the venerable stuff. All the really high quality sorts are in short supply causing a high price/demand response. We are using woods from Africa instead of the old line American beauties. Walnut? High priced! Big leaf curly maple? Same story... Even oak and poplar, traditionally cheap resources, are becoming pricey. The culprit is not the real use of the material but the waste of them for use in paper and fire wood. Whole countries have been voided of highly desirable species-Indonesian Rosewood used up as concrete forms, Luan-gone and not replanted but replaced with palm oil plantations-25 million acres worth, Honduras mahogany, same story and brought to you by the same multinational corporations. As a cabinetmaker we are cutting veneer  now where we used to use solids. Hardwood brush instead of trees is starting to look desirable. I love wood and have made a living with the stuff. I am very concerned about what we are facing now.     mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #32 - 06/13/09 at 12:42:32

Mike, thanks for putting that in perspective.

There is a lot of reason to be concerned.  Let's hope that there is something for our descendants.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print