Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/20/14 at 15:25:54

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
This forum. . . sleeply little town (Read 6326 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

This forum. . . sleeply little town
04/17/09 at 17:49:21

Well, this forum has become a sleepier and sleepier little town. . . .

Seems not long ago we had Hurdy Gurdy and Brad and Terry and Randy talking many times a day, and there were discussions of audio products Decware and otherwise and many other things. . . .

What happened?  Do we have to go find Eerie Von and Nitpicker and get them to stir  up the dust? Grin

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Seasoned Member

Re: This forum. . . sleeply little town
Reply #1 - 04/17/09 at 19:16:49

I've been trying to do my share Lon, really I have. Smiley

BTW I have the old Golden Tube Audio SE40 set up and dusted off for the first round of my smackdown battle vs my Taboo. The SE 40 has all the recent upgrades I know about and I have JJ 6L6GC, RCA blackplate 6L6 and SED 6L6GC and a set of Sylvania 5881 from the 60's with brown base and yellow lightning tops (try finding those now in a sixtet)  :)

« Last Edit: 04/17/09 at 19:18:49 by Stone Deaf »  

My system: Decware Taboo, CSP2, ZP3, Pro-Ject RM 10 / Grado Reference Sonata, Adcom 700, ERR Radials, Lots of Mapleshade, Kimber and Herbie's stuff.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2 - 04/17/09 at 19:21:04

I know the Taboo is going to WIN WIN WIN! Wink

You are doing your share my friend!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #3 - 04/17/09 at 20:34:28

Lon: I guess everyone's noticed that this forum seems if not moribund, then VERY quiet anyway.  The other (few) audio forums I visit seem much the same- maybe it's just my perception. There's always those people, some with many thousands of posts, who feel compelled to respond to every single topic. Then there's the "regulars" and then the newer members.
Dunno if it's the economic times or what, but without the input of the above mentioned "regulars", the place would really suffer.
Looking forward to your impressions of your new amp & speakers!
Don

Decware SE34I w/ CCE mod, ZCD, Heybrook/Linn/Clearaudio, Hagerman,
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4 - 04/17/09 at 21:37:36

Thanks for weighing in Don.

I'm actually reticent to post. . . as the echo is deafening!  I know I post too much. . . so I want others to post to help disguise that fact. Smiley I am retired for now and have the time to do so. . . I post on two other (jazz music) boards as well.  They are much busier boards than this one however, having a broader scope.

I've been feeling somewhat of a Decware traitor because I just don't "get" the ZCD Smiley but I hope to redeem myself by really liking the Integrated (though still haven't received any idea why I didn't get it configured the way I requested it) and Bob's Torii II and the new Radial versions when I get these.

I'm in my parents' house for two more days and I love being here but I miss my stereo (and my bike!)

Maybe if we all created a new topic a day for a while the place might have some movement?  I'll try!

« Last Edit: 04/17/09 at 21:39:56 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #5 - 04/17/09 at 21:40:20

Howdy Lon,

Thanks for thinking about me .....  

I'm not sure about the others, but my recent bout of illness took a little of the wind out of my sails and put me into a pattern of lurking more than posting.  I'm still not up to speed because of the side effects from the treatments I have been going through for the past few months, but I am slowly getting my strength back.

In addition to not feeling the best, a life threatening illness can have the effect of causing a person to focus on what is really important in life.  As much as I love music (and I REALLY do love music) there are only so many hours in a day and I have been sharing some of the listening and forum posting time that I previously spent with some other activities I enjoy ..... such as spending time with my family, bird watching, tending to my collection of miniature houseplants, gardening and playing my acoustic guitar (I know, I know ..... that falls into the music category).

Of course, the most important thing in my life is the pursuit of spiritual things ..... to which I have apportioned a suitable amount of my time and limited energy.

Unfortunately, because of the treatment I was receiving, I missed the DecFest for the first time this year .....    

I plan to attend the HornFest that is coming up in a couple of weeks and if I am still breathing I will be at the 2009 DecFest .....    

In addition to the fact that most of the posters to this forum are very busy people with a lot of interests, there are a lot of audio forums out there.  That might account for folks being "spread a little thin".

Even so, I will make an effort to post a bit more often (on the rare occasion that I have something intelligent to contribute) and hope that some of the other regulars will do the same.

As a sign says in one of our local 24 hour Caintuck greasy spoon restaurants ..... "We may doze, but we never close" .....

Thanks for the friendly reminder and best wishes,

Randy

« Last Edit: 04/17/09 at 21:45:12 by Randy in Caintuck »  

CEC TL-2 belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
Decware Model SE84C+ amplifier
Greenvalve Audio Type 10 amplifier
Parker Audio Troll Magnus speakers
"Mini Me" OBs - with Hawthorne Augies, Wild Burro Betsy drivers and Heil AMTs
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #6 - 04/17/09 at 21:52:13

Randy, I was thinking of you, and I do know why you've cut back on your posting.  I'm well enough acquainted with health issues and their impact.

Here's hoping your health continues to improve and your time gets consequently freer. You are doing the right thing to prioritize as you do. As music is probably one of the very most important things in my life I probably dedicate more time than most to its many forms in my life. . . . I do understand that this is not the norm.

Keep in touch with us amigo!  You're missed.

IP Logged
buzz
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/18/09 at 00:04:10

Life gets in the way. It is understandable that people re-prioritize. As we get closer and closer to 'audio nirvana' the steps get closer together and the sense of urgency lessens.

Also a lot of the daily conversations were not truly audio related... "just dropped in with a thought" has moved to the many online friends networks such as twitter, facebook, myspace etc. They all are junk to me because few people give audio past Itunes a second thought.  ::)  For the diehards Decware is still where its at .  ;)

I've never been much of a socialite. What I miss the most is bouncing thoughts off the tube guru's. It seems as if they never post anywhere anymore, and most of my conversations carry on privately. I'm just happy Decware was there back in '96 when I first took notice.

« Last Edit: 04/18/09 at 00:12:03 by buzz »  
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #8 - 04/18/09 at 00:21:10

Glad to hear you're healing, Randy!
I echo your thoughts re: Decware too, Buzz.
My Select caused me to re-evaluate the hi-fi thing.
(2 wpc/tiny/ nah!!)

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #9 - 04/18/09 at 01:32:51

Well Don, Buzz. . . I know what you mean.  I guess I like to keep my typing skills up, but it won't be here!  :)  Guess it will be sleepy and I'll go talk jazz on the jazz boards.

Enjoy the tube glow guys!

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #10 - 04/18/09 at 02:27:13

There have been quite a few "regulars" that have not been around as much, but back only a few years, we tended to get a lot more new questions and thoughts posted up. The pot was being stirred. Since Steve split this place into two forums and I have never been able to log into the other half, I figured everyone jumped ship to go over there. I miss a lot of my old friends from around the world.

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better Randy. I hate to hear when anyone here has an illness. I hope you recover fully and you can get back to ALL the things you enjoy.

Take care everybody,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #11 - 04/18/09 at 02:30:01

Lon: Any "jazz-boards" you recommend?
Thanks, Don

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #12 - 04/18/09 at 03:13:33

Robert,

Yes, when the board was split. . . well it's never been the same.  

Don,
Here are two that I haunt:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/   I post as jazzbo here

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/  I post as pie-eyed blue here

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #13 - 04/18/09 at 06:30:44

Well, besides the board being split to audiophile.com and the Decware support forum, proper;

There has been the introduction of way way WAY too many sub-categories in both of these forums.

I think the posts are really about the same, statistically, but conversations in a particular "box" or "sub-category" are separated by such an abyss from any other category, that it makes it an annoyance to check in on a thread and make a comment or ask a question, or create a sense of community.

Both forums should be collapsed down into FAR fewer sub-categories, and a community might then reform.

Less is more...

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/18/09 at 14:45:37

Veryoldcat makes a valid point. I an an administrator of one of the largest free college sports site on the internet (University of Alabama) and we have simplified our forum listings a couple of times to make the board more user friendly. I am one who actually likes a sense of family or community when using a message board and have probably made over 30,000 posts, no telling how many PMs or emails. Being retired I have time for all this foolishness. Wink

My system: Decware Taboo, CSP2, ZP3, Pro-Ject RM 10 / Grado Reference Sonata, Adcom 700, ERR Radials, Lots of Mapleshade, Kimber and Herbie's stuff.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print