Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/16/14 at 02:03:35

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii SE Amplifier (Read 72013 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Mini Torii SE Amplifier
Reply #45 - 05/02/11 at 22:48:10

Raduschka,

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I believe that these could work very well because they are similar in important ways to the Herbie's Audio Lab "Tube Dampers" that I use in my system. They really "focus" the sound. Pricing for Herbie's best is similar as well.

« Last Edit: 05/02/11 at 22:48:36 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 05/05/11 at 18:06:49

Hello everyone,

I own an isolation transformer and it has a rather thin power cord, while the rest of my system is fueled through thick gauge power cables. It seems a little odd to to see two thick power cables drawing current through a thin cheap cable from the wall outlet.
Do you think I should fit the transformer with a thick gauge power cable and quality plug?
My knowledge of isolation transformers is so limited that I depend on a kind opinion from you.
Thank you
Raduschka

« Last Edit: 05/05/11 at 18:12:18 by Raduschka »  
  IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 05/08/11 at 18:01:50

is there a quick fix for radio interference? I have had for the past 2 weeks an intermittent whistling noise in the background.
What have I done now to deserve this...:-)

Thick cable on the Tripp Lite: much better bottom end.

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 05/08/11 at 20:08:08

I traced back the interference problem to my new nos philips blackplate 6x4 (rats...). Is there a way to keep using them without the high pitched noise? Is there a way to shield them?
Thank you

IP Logged
tybee
Verified Member

Reply #49 - 05/21/11 at 15:15:46

As I have described in other places on this forum,  I have been searching for the best combo of tubes in the MT for my system.  Recently, I placed a pair E80CC input tubes along with a pair of Mazda 6x4 rectifiers in the MT and I am hearing much better synergy in my system.  When I have used the Mazdas in the past in other equipment, I was impressed with the bass response and these tubes are improving the bass of the MT.  I had forgotten that I had the E80CC tubes, a sort of a super 12AU7.  

Now, it is time to look at some other 6V6 power tubes to squeeze out some additional tone.  Any recommendations?

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 05/21/11 at 15:51:14

Hi,
I settled on a pair of NOS NEC 6v6 (from thetubestore.com) and NOS mullard 12au7. The NEC have an audible edge over other 6v6 I have tried, the bass is rounder, the mids are more credible. I have tried a pair of RCA blackplate greyglass and took them out immediately, they produced no bass at all. I don't know if smth was wrong with them or the combination of tubes... I haven't tried 6x4s yet, except for a pair of nos bplate Philips (tubestore too) and they did make everything sound ...creamier I guess, a little darker but more interesting.

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 05/21/11 at 16:38:17

..forgot to mention that the philips  6x4 blackplate are unusable in my Mini torii ( and perhaps in all of them???) because they whistle like there is no tomorrow...

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 05/26/11 at 01:30:48

I have just added a PS Duet Power conditioner to the audiofamily. In conjunction with my modified tripp-lite it has allowed the musical experience to reach new heights. The level of detail and coherence is now almost indecent and so is the level of enjoyment... I am slowly losing my fitness, as I sit at work and sit at home!
After this evening's listening session I felt like doing two things (three actually but I can only talk about two of them): one, move over to THIS chair and write to you all about what a 200$ PS Duet can do and say thanks to Lon, whose suggestion about getting the Duet lead directly to a purchase thereof from partXconnection.
two, become religious for a second so that i can thank a power higher than Steve Deckert, of which he is only a messenger. (and then return to my beloved atheism and try to explain the miracle of what I hear without invoking the supernatural).
Hugs and kisses

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #53 - 05/26/11 at 01:47:23

Alright, glad you had a positive experience with the Duet. I tried doing without mine but didn't like it at all when it was removed, you're right about the refinement of the sound.

Keep on enjoyin' the sounds my friend!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 06/05/11 at 02:13:56

...I installed a hospital grade outlet in my living room, as the one I was using was remarkably loose. upon inspection, the wires coming out of the wall were completely darkened by decades of unattended existence so I brought their coppery shine back  with a piece of sand paper. Yes, now I have even better sound coming out of my system, easily audible in the bass zone, but the whole sound is more lifelike. Sting-dream of the Blue Turtles MSFL happened to be the cd in the player. Moon over Bourbon street-well, he is right there, on top of the bass and there is a saxophone in the back. "You can't say that"-the two notes on the bass, they feel like a real bass guitar being played  now and the percussion is life like. etc etc
I bought a red leviton hospital grade outlet from
frwoodworking on Ebay, for 7$ + 2$ shipping or so. Not the best, but it works for now.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230625178913&ssPageName=STRK:M...

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Re: fantastic diy pure silver interconnects
Reply #55 - 06/13/11 at 19:31:03

to all Mini Torii owners and everyone interested in fantastic diy interconnects: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=cables&n=152650&highlight=

And vh audio: http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

For 150$ I now have fantastic sound. My system already had a Phd, now it has finished 10 years of post doctoral studies ans is working for the UN on humanitarian missions and writing best selling books on its favourite topics. Maybe one day it will  be an accomplished painter.

These interconnects have allegedly been preferred to no-costs-barred interconnects. Although I never tested such expensive objects I can tell you that they sound way better than what I had and that the guy selling them answers all emails and is really sweet to deal with. I urge you to try making them, it is easy!!!

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 06/25/11 at 18:10:22

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43532031/ns/technology_and_science-innovation

is anyone aware of this? Will it affect the sound? Should I move back to Europe? Smiley

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #57 - 06/25/11 at 18:31:59

I read that in this morning's paper and wondered the same thing. That is just what we need, someone Effin' areound with the cycles of our electricity. I can only guess on what kind of havoc this will play with our systems. I wonder how it will effect industry, I know that all of my machines are very picky about what you feed them, the drives go wacko if they don't get what they need.
I was just offered a job in China, maybe I should consider it more seriously.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 06/25/11 at 21:19:45

I also wonder what effect this will have. Changes in cheap timekeeping like microwave ovens, don't worry me too much, though the aggravation will be annoying. I do wonder what frequency variability will do to line noise, if anything, and the quality of sound. Will have to pay attention to what happens on the Monster AVS-2000 and the PS Audio Power Plant when this happens.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 10/01/11 at 21:05:40

hello everyone!

Can anyone please spell out for me the differences between the 4 types of gas voltage regulators in regard to their impact on the sound? I own 3 of the 4 types, with the 4th in the mail, due on upcoming Monday. I have noticed that the 0d3 takes away from the bass but makes it tighter and quicker. What I would like to know is wether it also makes the soundstage appear less deep and focused, as I can't seem to decide by myself. I also have the feeling it makes the midrange less screamy and overall it feels like the amp handles the speakers better, as if it had more power.
The 0a3 seems to give bloated and slow bass notes, but I am afraid everything else is somewhat more elegant, although the percussion does seem a little lifeless in comparisaon to the 0d3 presentation.
I keep reading that the 0c3 offers the best regulation of the 4 types. I wish I understood what that means, especially in practical terms, for my mini torii and listening experience.
The 0c3 arrive, as I said, on Monday.
I suppose whatever those gas regulators do, I can find a middle path with the 0b3 and the 0c3. Hopefullt the best of 2 worlds, if there are such 2 worlds. I haven't heard a world of difference though.
Thank you for any input!
yours
Raduschka

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27
Send Topic Print