Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/14 at 08:21:03

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii SE Amplifier (Read 59977 times)
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Re: Mini Torii SE Amplifier
Reply #330 - 05/31/12 at 23:16:35

the original volume pots on the MT had a solid core shaft. They are made by Alpha. The atts I am using (khozmo, I do not recommend, they are a lottery and the person selling them in Poland is unreachable) also have a solid core shaft so no problem there. Maybe you can tighten them just above the surface of the aluminum cover? Or cut out a round piece of plexiglas or paper and place that underneath the knobs?

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #331 - 06/01/12 at 04:42:07

after replacing the original 47uf electrolytic caps with huge 650V Solen pps caps (except for the 6x4 caps which are 10uf, thanks Erik!) I now have excellent dynamics and depth, BUT also a slight hum, which is a pity, since the MT used to be dead silent. Can anyone please help me understand which of the 47 uf caps in the power section is most likely to cause hum? I could perhaps swap those for a different brand, or a different type (back to electrolytic...). But most of all I would like to understand why switching to film caps has brought about better dynamics and the hum. Especially the hum Smiley  Thank you in advance for any input

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #332 - 06/01/12 at 16:17:14

I received following email from PartsConnexion's tech:

Hi Radu,

Try reversing the Solens one by one. It may be the outer foil is picking up ripple from the raw supply.

Do this one by one as Solen does not mark the outer capacitor foil.

--------------------
I placed them all with the writing going twds ground, but if I understand correctly, Solen mark their caps randomly

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #333 - 10/20/12 at 01:55:01

Fireblade, have you received your speakers yet?

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #334 - 10/20/12 at 13:29:28

Hey, Raduschka!  I've got them since May.  They're fully broken-in by now, I suppose, and yet the gear (M-T + DM945's) keeps showing incremental improvements in SQ.  

« Last Edit: 10/20/12 at 13:30:38 by Fireblade »  

Laptop-Foobar2000-Wasapi Ev//WD 1.5Tb HDD//Audioquest Forest USB cbls//HRT MS II+ USB-DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish P. Cord
  IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #335 - 10/20/12 at 14:20:32

aaaaaaand?

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #336 - 10/20/12 at 17:20:01

Fireblade is holed up at his casa listening to music.  :-)

« Last Edit: 10/20/12 at 17:20:37 by Les Lammers »  
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #337 - 10/20/12 at 19:16:10

Cool  Yep, that's right, although not as often as I would like to.  

Regarding the speakers, I have to say I really dig them.  They offer everything I was expecting from them, once they're broken-in and strategically placed in stands, well into your listening area.

They seem to prefer being at a certain minimum distance from adjacent walls and other obstacles (as most speakers do, so I would not recommend them for real bookshelf use or near walls).  The back-firing port holes use the surrounds to propagate and create part of that sonic envelop effect around them, even though they are definitely the direct (beam) sound-oriented type (as opposed to radial sound-oriented).

Just one observation:  I've tried different approaches to handle the lower frequencies, and so far I can attest to the fact that these babies definitely need an active Sub-Woofer for the 65-60 Hz, down.  When I mute my active Sub, the sound really suffers in most recordings, so it is a must, especially if you appreciate bass in your music.  

I'm not talking about harsh rock bass levels, but an enlivened baseline that enhances the rest of the harmonics and rythm involved in any musical playback. Bass in the DM945's is great, just not too deep.  With my Velodyne I get just that ideal combination, to the point where I can adjust the Sub's volume to match each particular selection profile.

Of course, everything I'm stating here is room conditions-dependent and reflect only my particular subjective experience and appraisal.  Having said that, I feel my observations are objective enough as to be used as a reference for other musical tastes and conditions.  

For one thing, although the woofer's size is significant, the enclosure is simply still limited for the bass to fully develop.  What is nice, again, is the quality of that baseline more than its depth, as the latter can always be fixed with a Sub.  I also think part of the quality of that lower frequency baseline stems also from the excellent Mini-Torii's pre-out signal feeding the Sub.

Mid-range and higher register extensions are just fine, so much so, that with 99.5% of my WAV files I never even consider the treble control (high freq. cut-off feature in the Mini-Torii).  Sound is never fatiguing nor edgy, and is neither warm nor cold, but very balanced indeed.

I am of the opinion that I now need to concentrate in improving my front-end sourcing.  There's too much of a difference still between well recorded material and more mundane studio jobs.  I mean, you can play something which rivals the best sound out there, and the next time around it may sound almost average, not as impressive.  I'm now sure it's neither the amp nor the speakers, but possibly my front-end.

I also need to improve my listening room and such, but I'm getting there gradually  :).  I hope this is of help, Radu.

« Last Edit: 10/20/12 at 19:55:14 by Fireblade »  

Laptop-Foobar2000-Wasapi Ev//WD 1.5Tb HDD//Audioquest Forest USB cbls//HRT MS II+ USB-DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish P. Cord
  IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #338 - 10/20/12 at 23:01:15

Hi all, I would like to use a pair of AKG headphones with the mini torii. Can I hook them directly to the speaker posts instead of/ along with the speakers? Do I need to add extra resistance? Here are the headphone specs: 105db, 62ohm. Thank you for any input

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #339 - 10/22/12 at 12:24:39

Radu:

I don't have a full answer to your question (as I do not use headphones), but came accross these excerpts from a recent thread from this forum:

DougK: "One off topic question: I'm using ERR speakers and want to use a Mini Torii with them, but also have 60 Ohm headphones I'd like to use occasionally.  Will the Mini Torii drive the headphones well, or should I consider getting the CSP2+ for headphone use?"

deucekazoo: "Yes the Mini will drive them just fine. It was my favorite when I auditioned them all minus the Zen Head. I have 50 ohm headphones and the CSP2+ did not do well with them. Steve said the CSP2+ likes to see 250 ohm and up."

Hope it helps.

« Last Edit: 10/22/12 at 12:26:00 by Fireblade »  

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #340 - 10/22/12 at 15:14:49

thanks a lot! I gave up on that project, I remembered how little I liked listening through headphones.
One day you should talk about the sound coming out of your speakers  :-)

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #341 - 10/22/12 at 18:25:05

Just go back 4 posts in this thread and you'll find my observations on the sound coming out from my speakers ...

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #342 - 10/22/12 at 18:47:01

interesting, I missed it completely! will read now

IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #343 - 10/22/12 at 18:56:09

yes, great Fireblade! I never got the email so I was still waiting for you to post your impressions. I got rid of the treble roll off pot altogether, as I never used it. I got rid of my CD player too a while ago, I ripped everything to flac and use a Musical Fidelity V-link 192 btw usb port and spdif on the DAC.     I have 4 v-caps inside the mini torii and Obbligatos and solens in the power area.  If something sounds subpar these days I know it is not my system Smiley  I sometimes question my ears and moods, sometimes the power company, oftentimes the recording.   Thank god I have satisfying levels of bass, although I must say that I invested at least an extra 1000$ into the mini torii to get it there.      I wonder what type of sub you are using.

IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #344 - 10/22/12 at 21:16:28

Hey guys, wanted to post a quick question and I should (and may still) post it in a more appropriate thread later on but.....

My CD player has been giving me problems and I am now sending it back to the manufacturer for the 3rd time and there is a dealer out in San Diego who I bought my phono preamp from who tells me that it's probably time to give up on the CD player and use my computer with a program like JPlay etc and a good DAC....he says I can get even better sound this way and can avoid the downfalls of CDP transports...

Now, I'm new to the Hi-Fi world but I am totally aware of doing things the computer way, but it seems like if I can get better sound then it's something I should look into. I primarily listen to CD's and thought that going the computer route would introduce other factors that would maybe take away from the sound on my CD's....I'll probably have to spend some money demoing some DAC's and seeing what I think, but...

Anyway! I read these threads all the time, but I'd love to hear (read) what you use in the computer realm of things (if you use your computer at all) and if you don't use it, then why...

I've read things about usb spdif converters, jitter etc etc and it makes my head spin thinking about the extra things I would need to just get the audio on my PC sounding as good as the music coming from a great CD player....does this make sense? The computer convenience thing doesn't really apply to me because I do enjoy grabbing the disk and holding the art work blah blah blah (you've heard it all b4 haha) and I'm usually fixated on one album at a time for what turns out to be weeks sometimes.  Ok, no more rambling for now...hope you all are well!

PS:
Steve mentions this on the ZDAC page which I found interesting:

"With a computer you can rip CD's that are checked against online databases for accuracy.  This means you can get a bit-for-bit perfect recordings with zero errors - this is difficult to achieve even with brand new CD's on the very best transports."

My Gear:
Mini Torii
Trapezium speakers
Decware IC's and speaker cables
Denon DP-72L vintage turntable
Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Preamp
CDP (on it's way to be repaired)
LCD 2 headphones

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26
Send Topic Print