Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/28/14 at 11:36:23

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 27
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii SE Amplifier (Read 67635 times)
brians7
Verified Member

Mini Torii SE Amplifier
04/16/09 at 05:30:04

I recived my amp today.  And all I can say is wow!!  This little amp can easily replace my other amps.  With my Klipsch La Scala speakers I never felt like my Decware SE84CS amp never quiet had the musle to drive the 15in woofers in the speakers.   The Mini Torii has plenty of head room.  It sounds absolutly amazing and I have not had a better sounding amp.   I was trying to decided between this amp and a McIntosh MC2155.  I know that I made the right choice, because I have tried several Mac amp in the past and non of them sounded this good.    I know that steve doesn't like us talking about watts but I never felt like the 2 watts I got from my SE84CS was enough, but I know that how ever many watts this 3-6 whatever this amp has is plenty enough, to make me grin from ear to ear. And it sounds absoultly amazing! Wait a minute I already said that.  But it sounds absoultly amazing...  Brian

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Mini Torii SE Amplifier
Reply #1 - 04/16/09 at 10:52:14

Hey, thanks for weighing in B, I know many  have been waiting for a review!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/16/09 at 12:54:01

When you calm down, I would like to know what the impressions are between using a 6V6 and 6L6 in this amp and the different voltage regulator tubes.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #3 - 04/17/09 at 00:13:45

Brian: Interesting that the mini Torii seems to have more muscle than your Select. I've a Select myself, and have been wondering about the SE34-I, but your post has me wondering if the mini Torii might fill the bill.
Hmmm---!
Don

Decware SE34I w/ CCE mod, ZCD, Heybrook/Linn/Clearaudio, Hagerman,
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/17/09 at 22:54:18

What about impressions of the different tube combos?

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
brians7
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/19/09 at 03:30:56

( Interesting that the mini Torii seems to have more muscle than your Select. I've a Select myself )         It doesn't seam to have more muscle.  It diffently has more.  I used Select with a pre-amp mostly and tried several times to use it without, but I was always wanting more power no matter how I used it.  I am using the mini torii without a pre-amp now and it doesn't seem to need a pre-amp at all.        

( What about impressions of the different tube combos? )       I have had no success with the 6L6.  I had a pair and tried to use them and only one worked.  One 6L6 lit up and played fine in one channel the other 6L6 didn't light up at all the other tubes did but nothing came out of the speaker so it must be a dud. I Put the 6V6 back in and no problem with the amp.  I have tried Westinghouse 6V6GT made in Canada.  My first impression the base is very tight and the highs are brighter than the tubes I am using now.  Which is 5992.  This tube still sounds very controlled in the base, and the highs are not quite as bright. It also has a little more mid range. They both have a very simular sound. I will try 6F6 and 6k6 tomorrow.   Brian

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/19/09 at 10:06:59

This is to me, Decware's most exciting amplifier.  I will be eager to follow this report.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/20/09 at 03:51:16

Nix the 6L6 for now, then.

Somebody please send him a pair of 6L6GC's so he can try the amp with them.

What about the input tube, can you use something other than the 12AU7?

IP Logged
brians7
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/20/09 at 07:30:09

I tried a pair of National Union 6F6GT with a pair of the OC3's.  The mid range seems a little relaxed not sweeter though.  And it hardly has any base compared to the 6V6.   If you turn up the volume you can get a little base out of it.  But with the 6V6 it was tight and full at any volume.  It looks like the 6V6 is the winner.  I will try the 6F6 with the OA3's to see of that helps with the base.  The input tube I am using is a RCA6189 black plate.  I ordered a set of Ruby 6L6's.  I love the ruby's EL34's in my VAC amp. Which is for sale on audiogon if anyone wants to buy it. Talk to yall later.  Brian

IP Logged
brians7
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 04/24/09 at 14:42:59

I put the OA3's back in with 6F6's some of the base retuned, but it still doesn't equal the 6V6's.  I am trying the RCA 1611 which is a 6F6 variant made for US Navy SOS transmitter.  The sound is very similar to the 6F6 maybe a little thinner and seems faster. Brian

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/25/09 at 15:08:07

I am interested in whether you can use another input tube other than the 12AU7.

Also, why are you futzin' around with those lame 6F6 variants. From what I have read the amp is better suited for the 6V6 and 6L6 family?

As to the lower vs. higher voltage regulator tubes how do they affect the sound with the 6V6 in place?

IP Logged
brians7
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 04/26/09 at 19:18:31

I got the Ruby's.  I used them with the OA3'S.  The amp has a much fullier and richer sound than with the 6F6's.  With most of the base retuning.  I will have to use the 6V6's again and compare it to the 6L6. The amp sounds pretty nurtral on its on, but with the 6L6's it is easier to tell that it is a tube amp.  With the 6V6 tubes it sounded very similar to a class A solid state amp.  One thing I forgot to mention the amp has been absolutliy dead quiet between tracks you would not even know that it was on.  Almost any other amp I have used had some noticable hiss or hum it was just something I though I had to live with being that my spekers are 104 db sensity.  Brian

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/27/09 at 04:03:43

I am curious whether an OD3 would help out with the bottom end. Also how would a regular 12AU7 sound on the input? I understand that the 6189 has a higher plate voltage. Can you use another input tube other than the 12AU7 family?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #13 - 05/01/09 at 14:26:14

Brian, are you enjoying/using the Treble Cut circuit?  I had this added to the Integrated Steve built me some weeks back and I find it very very very useful for musical enjoyment!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/02/09 at 19:48:07

Could you give us a Saturday update? Are those RCA 6189's triple micas?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 27
Send Topic Print