10/23/14 at 22:31:44

Pages: 1 ... 329 330 331 332 333 ... 414
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 388252 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4950 - 05/17/14 at 03:13:52

Dave,  about the HR-1s...they sound good, not great yet but I probably have less than 10 hours of play on them so far. And as Lon said...they're a little edgy and thin at first.  I can tell they'll be great in time.  They will bring a warmer character that I was looking for. Also a more robust low end that I wanted.  For all the things the Zu Audio "Souls" do well...warmth is not high on the list.  Mark.

Time for a little Jazz.  This LP from Dusty Groove, next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4951 - 05/17/14 at 04:09:16

This is a double LP put out by Verve in 1982 of recordings of the Bill Evans Trio in 1967 Live at the Village Vanguard. With Bill are Eddie Gomez and Philly Joe Jones.  Very nice...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4952 - 05/17/14 at 12:18:34

I'm sitting in my Den sipping my morning coffee...not really set up to do so in my Listening Cave or I'd be there with the HR-1s.  I have this one on vinyl and listened to  it last month.  This is a new copy from Dusty Groove, a 2007 24 bit remastered CD.  Some great 70's fusion. On my Taboo I flipped the New Lucid mode on and slipped on the Audeze Cans...AhAh...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4953 - 05/17/14 at 12:53:31

This next...great music but Sonny sounds a bit distant in the mix of these live tracks...Just remembered I had New Lucid Mode on.  With it turned off Sonny's more forward in the mix.  Mark.

« Last Edit: 05/17/14 at 12:55:04 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4954 - 05/17/14 at 12:54:46

This was a free download from my friendly music sharing "club". Interesting - probably not something I'll listen to again. I would classify it as Korean "country" Pop. The kid has a nice voice, but the album is a bit overcompressed and quite flat. Well recorded though.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4955 - 05/17/14 at 13:04:43

LR,  did you read the info on the Sinatra CD,  "Classic Sinatra"?  Sounds like someday we could get some much better remasters if the original tapes haven't degraded too much. I seem to have the ability to listen to and enjoy inferior recordings of great music.  This comes in handy especially if you like pre late 1950's recordings as Lon and I do.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4956 - 05/17/14 at 13:27:09

Another shared album - Christian Loffler - Young Alaska on Juno records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWL4xRp5I8w&list=PLTGUAyXSZDRfg7h1hPBs5kCVpUQQLt...

Soft electronica. I know many of you don't get into this - it sounds pretty good, and he plays with sound is clever and fun ways. The first track he's throwing in a random high pitch frequency in a teasing way. Good beats, and he includes some ambient sounds - the track I'm on now has a sound like water dripping from icicles, including the reflections off whatevers around the water dripping. Kinda neat, I like this one for background music while I make breakfast.

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4957 - 05/17/14 at 13:45:39

An old favorite.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4958 - 05/17/14 at 14:01:30

Quote:
LR,  did you read the info on the Sinatra CD,  "Classic Sinatra"?  Sounds like someday we could get some much better remasters if the original tapes haven't degraded too much. I seem to have the ability to listen to and enjoy inferior recordings of great music.  This comes in handy especially if you like pre late 1950's recordings as Lon and I do.  Mark.

I haven't gotten that far yet. And no, I don't expect them to completely eliminate tape hiss, it's just the Sinatra recordings I have in my collection, the tape his is a part of the band....

Thanks for the reminder though, I'm going to track down the remaster you mentioned.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4959 - 05/17/14 at 14:03:23

On now - Solar Quest - OrgShip
Ambient/Electronica

And it's a snoozefest. Too ambient for Saturday at 8am. Moving on to something else in a minute.

« Last Edit: 05/17/14 at 14:03:50 by Lonely Raven »  
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4960 - 05/17/14 at 14:20:31

This is what Saturday morning is for.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4961 - 05/17/14 at 14:28:46

Palomino just texted me about a track on this album, so I tracked down the whole album to listen to. It's very percussion/guitar oriented progressive intrumental rock. I'm only one (long) track in, and it's very well recorded and I'm enjoying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrimhZogGu4

The track he recommended as his "reference imaging song" is Duende. (3rd track in). I like what I hear so far, so I'm going to let this play through.

« Last Edit: 05/17/14 at 14:32:27 by Lonely Raven »  
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4962 - 05/17/14 at 14:31:36

Lon,  I want details on the Ray Charles recording.  CD...Vinyl? Japanese?  I'd like a good sounding recording in any format.

LR,  doesn't sound like you read the Amazon buyer's review I gave you.  It was pretty informative.  I'm going to pick up "Classic Sinatra Vol. 2" when I see it...the review said it's mastering is far superior to Vol. 1 that I have.  If you find some of the Capital years  Sinatra recordings that sound good on your ZMA, let me know so I can get them.  I don't play Sinatra often but when I do, there's no one better...well, Tony Bennett is as good, just different.  Love em both!  Mark.  

PS...I'm back in the Listening Cave and finishing the Bill Evans LP on the TT.  Then this from HPB&Rs from yesterdays buy.

« Last Edit: 05/17/14 at 14:33:53 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4963 - 05/17/14 at 15:05:29

LR, I've heard that BLS. . . didn't do much for me. We're all different.

Mark, I"m listening to the version on the "Pure Genius" box set--sounds great. I also have the new Japanese 24 bit on the way I got the two cds with Milt Jackson from that series and ordered a few more, eventually I'll get all the Ray Charles in the 24 bit series because they sound so good.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4964 - 05/17/14 at 15:49:03

Lon,  I think I'll pick up that "Pure Genius" set when I see it for a good price.  I see they now sell it without the DVD, record player case and Big book...either edition is fine with me.  Let me know if the 24 bit Japanese versions are worth the extra expense after you hear them.

LP #1 from this two LP set, spinning now.  I can't believe what good condition these LPs are in. I don't know if this was standard but the inner paper sleeves are lined with a plastic type liner with the overlap taped to the paper on the outside. I love this music.  Live at Fillmore East is my favorite.  Mark.

« Last Edit: 05/17/14 at 15:59:37 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 331 332 333 ... 414
Send Topic Print