Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4935 - 05/15/14 at 22:23:32

Spent a lot of time with my DVR trying to get caught up. The DVR through the PWD Mk 2 into the CSP2+ and into the Torii Mk III is great sound.

But for even greater sound, Rega RP3 into ZP3 (I like that they're P3 cousins) into the Torii Mk III is just audio bliss right now.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4936 - 05/16/14 at 02:02:34

I have to get more Kirk Atlantic LPs. I have the cds, but the vinyl I have sounds SO good.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4937 - 05/16/14 at 19:23:38

On my way home from work this morning I stopped at HPB&Rs as I sometimes do...I walked out with about $130 of Classic Rock Vinyl (16 LPs) and more.  Too many to list but some Jeff Beck, Allman Brothers, Emerson, Lake and Palmer,  Jon Luc Ponty, Wings, Traffic, Rainbow, Peter Gabriel,  Jimmi Hendrix and Dire Straits but the two I'm most excited about are a near perfect original Copy of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" only one 1/3rd inch scratch that doesn't look too deep...for $14.99 and a 2008 reissue of Santana's first album?...the one with the Black and White Lion cover...for $9.99.  All these albums are VG+ to M-.  Also picked up a Hybrid SACD copy of "Dark Side Of The Moon" that I'm listening to now with Audeze Cans via the Taboo with Lucid mode on...Trippy. And to top it off, a 24 bit remastered greatest hits of Sinatra from the Capital years.  Mark.

« Last Edit: 05/16/14 at 19:31:52 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4938 - 05/16/14 at 19:47:21

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4939 - 05/16/14 at 20:02:42

This now.  I'm guessing that I'm the only person in the World that has ever gone from spinning Pink Floyd to Frank Sinatra...it's all good!  I also just received a 180 gm remaster of Billy Joel's "The Stranger" in the mail and just finished ordering a 2LP 180 gm reissue plus "7 LP of Neil Young's Greatest Hits set from Pop Market. Did I tell you that my 30 LP and 4 CD order from Dusty Groove arrived a few days ago?  I'm drowning in Vinyl...hehe.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4940 - 05/16/14 at 20:03:20

Mark, tell me how that remastered Sinatra stuff sounds. I have some in my collection, but the detail of the ZMA and my now super quiet background...the tape hiss in the original recordings is a bit distracting.

I'm wondering if they dealt with that a little bit on your remasters.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4941 - 05/16/14 at 20:22:29

LR,  this is a 2000 remaster by Bob Norberg at Capitol Mastering.  I am currently on track #11 and haven't noticed any tape hiss with my Audeze LCD Headphones, Taboo Amp and Jolida 100 CDP...combo.  These Headphones are very forgiving though...you can't completely eliminate tape hiss.  All tracks have sounded great with the exception of a very brief episode of distortion on Gershwin's "Someone To Watch Over Me".  This is an inexpensive single CD,  I suggest you buy it and try it with your ZMA. I think the whole Capital catalog has been remastered in 24 bit since 2000...I have lots of them...somewhere.   If you don't like it, it'd be a nice car copy.  Mark.

« Last Edit: 05/16/14 at 20:24:13 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4942 - 05/16/14 at 20:48:46

OK LR,  I did a google search and read reviews of this CD on Amazon.  Let me repeat that this CD sounds fine to me.  The reviewer below, who seems very knowledgeable, doesn't like it.  I have copied it below with the accompanying comments. Hope this helps you. Mark.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wretched mastering, November 9, 2009
By Charles F. Held Jr. "cheld"
This review is from: Classic Sinatra (Audio CD)
First off, everyone should own the music contained on this disc. 1950's Sinatra represents truly the best of the best of American music - fantastic songwriters, arrangers, players and recording engineers, all providing the perfect complements our greatest interpreter of swing, show, and saloon tunes. Unfortunately, since about 1960, very few of Sinatra's peak performances have been commercially available in optimal sound quality in any format. At that time, Capitol reprocessed the original tapes, creating new "masters" with added echo, silly equalization, fake stereo, and other sonic abominations.

When Frank's Capitol output first got released on CD around 1987, mastering engineer Larry Walsh did a passable job considering the available technology and the the combination of "wrong" tapes he was often working with and "wrong" instructions he was given regarding when and how to add reverb to tapes that in their original, classic LP releases were "dry". A pair of compilations (the single-disc "Capitol Collectors Series" and 3CD "The Capitol Years", both also mastered by Walsh) improved things by going back to the genuine 1950's masters and NOT adding reverb.

Then in the mid-to-late-90's, Capitol handed its Sinatra CD projects over to Bob Norberg, who among Sinatraphiles is about as popular as Voldemort. Norberg readily admits that he is more interested in putting his own personal "stamp" on a project rather than presenting the listener with the most accurate representation of the original recording. After getting through the "Complete Capitol Singles Collection" without inflicting too much damage, Norberg unleashed his full arsenal of weapons of music destruction on the 1998-2002 "Entertainer Of The Century" and "Concepts" projects, from which almost all the tracks on "Classic Sinatra" are taken. All these discs sound truly bad - Frank's voice is buried in a cloud of reverb, the mono songs are presented in fake stereo, and EQ and noise reduction have been used without mercy, rolling off the treble sparkle in a silly attempt to reduce tape hiss (Here's an idea for reducing tape hiss: USE THE REAL MASTER TAPES INSTEAD OF THOSE BOTCHED 1960's REMIXES!). Sinatra and the orchestra sound like you're listening to them through a cardboard paper towel tube.

There IS some good news: Bob Voldemort - er - Norberg is no longer working at Capitol, and the sequel to this CD, "Classic Sinatra II", sounds fantastic (Larry Walsh has returned as the mastering engineer). Mono songs are in mono, no added reverb, all the sparkle intact. Frank is in the room with you, or at least he's in front of the orchestra instead of behind it!

Whether Capitol will ever fix its Sinatra CD catalog - arguably the greatest American musical asset that exists between one label and one artist - remains to be seen. At the moment the only "good" discs in print are "Classic II", the aforementioned "Capitol Years" 3CD set, and the Mobile Fidelity "Only The Lonely" and "Nice 'N Easy" discs (note: the out-of-print MoFi "Songs For Swingin' Lovers" uses a bad '60's fake-stereo tape).

My recommendation? Spend a couple bucks on a used copy of this, then get "Classic Sinatra II" and listen to both on your CD changer in shuffle mode so you can hear for yourself how much of a difference there is in mastering between the two.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink

[Add comment]
Comments
Track comments by e-mail
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2013 11:29:20 PM PDT
Mark Twain says:
I salute you.
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse | Ignore this customer
Do you think this post adds to the discussion?  Yes No
Posted on Dec 25, 2013 5:07:52 PM PST
Frederick Baptist says:
You are right in that the sound quality isn't perfect as the masters come from the 50s and so probably are not in the best of shape. I also detect some compression which is unfortunate as the bass notes are now muddy. The good news is that MOFI has had a crack at a few of Sinatra's classics. Once I've received them I will write a review; Songs for Swingin' Lovers and A Swingin' Affair I await for in sweet anticipation!
Reply to this post
Posted on Jan 9, 2014 6:29:30 AM PST
Sammy M. says:
very enlightening. we need more of these reviews, so we can get the best music out there for our listening pleasure...
Thank YOu
Reply to this post
Posted on Mar 8, 2014 10:32:34 PM PST
songjustice says:
On a good high resolution sound system this CD can be painful to the listener. More painful yet is the disrespect and disservice that has been done to the source material. I really believe the listener would be better served playing this back on the lowest quality equipment at a reduced volume level. Perhaps maybe as background music at a party where the guests would be talking over the music, fondly remembering the genius that was Sinatra. If someone says "Oh turn this up I really like this", firmly stiffen their drink beforehand.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4943 - 05/16/14 at 21:45:10

This next...Pink Floyd, Sinatra, Andrew Hill...talk about eclectic taste!

« Last Edit: 05/16/14 at 21:45:38 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4944 - 05/16/14 at 23:20:34

One of Hill's very best. ..  right near the end. Sigh.

Right now, on an Ellington kick.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4945 - 05/17/14 at 02:10:44

I'm in the Cave for a couple hours of Vinyl.  This up first...Get some volume pumping through these new HR-1s...

« Last Edit: 05/17/14 at 02:12:18 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4946 - 05/17/14 at 02:16:35

I've got some volume pumping through my HR-1s too! The Japanese SACD. Not perfect, but a pretty darned good mastering for the most part.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4947 - 05/17/14 at 02:45:04

I was just listening to some Santana as well (Abraxas Blu-Spec).  Just switched to Solo Monk (also Blu-Spec).  The latter reminds me of when my dad used to play piano for me as a kid.  Good stuff.

Any additional impressions about the HR-1's you care to share Mark?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4948 - 05/17/14 at 02:55:08

Lon,  I almost picked up a Japanese vinyl pressing of that but someone bought  it before I'd made up my mind.  I've got it on vinyl from it's original release...somewhere.  Great album!

This LP now...Love the tune "Solsbury Hill".  I saw Peter Gabriel in the early nineties here at Dallas' Reunion Arena.  Here's a DVD of a show from the same tour for anyone interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHlkWcnj2m0

« Last Edit: 05/17/14 at 02:56:04 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4949 - 05/17/14 at 02:59:24

They don't make wax like they use to ; )

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 330 331 332 ... 420
Send Topic Print