11/23/14 at 22:38:41

Pages: 1 ... 326 327 328 329 330 ... 421
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 410392 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4905 - 05/12/14 at 22:25:42

Will do, Lon.  Steve knows how to push my buttons...his email that the Mystery Amp will be increasing in price by a grand has me thinking...do I want/need one?  I thought the same thing when he was giving away the cool Red Caps for free.  Anyone out there who has both a Torii and the Mystery Amp want to compare the two for Vinyl and Red book playback?  What am I getting that the Torii doesn't supply?  Damn,  now I have to torture myself about this for the next 3 weeks.  Lon,  talk me off the ledge.  Mark

Now...

« Last Edit: 05/12/14 at 22:29:40 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4906 - 05/12/14 at 23:03:44

Mark, I thought long and hard about the Mystery Amp too, several times. One thing that makes it easy for me to decide is: I can't afford it, and I alredy have three Decware amps in use, one in the closet, and a few other amps as well. And I am just so happy with all three of my Toriis, the Mk II and the two Mk IIIs. And I'm never going to need mroe power with the two pair of HR-1s and the ERRs. And because I have PS Audio power regeneration I don't need my amp to have the huge cleansing power supply that the Mystery Amp does. And the clincher for me? I am very sensitive to treble, I need a treble cut circuit, and Steve doesn't seem to want to incorporate one into the Mystery Amp for me. When I inquired about it a few months ago if he had said "why certainly" I would have ordered one. In the meantime I have ordered the update for the PS Audio DAC and that's where my money went.

To be honest Mark: your Torii will drive your HR-1s like they were made for each other, will always sound great and is more flexible than the Mystery Amp. You don't need another amp. In your shoes I'd look for a stellar DAC or digital front end. You have the ZP3. . .now look for a digital front end that can give it a run for its money. I know you're getting good sound now, but the next level in digital will really impress you.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4907 - 05/12/14 at 23:09:39

Right now, beautiful music. I may seek out another interpretation though. These three are masters. . . but somehow it all seems a bit dispassionate and I don't think Beethoven should be that way.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4908 - 05/13/14 at 01:15:06

Lon,  I know you're right but for the next 19 days I'll think about it.  I will probably stick with my plan of buying another Torii used for half what the Mystery Amp would cost...sometime in the future, when a great deal presents itself.  But even a second Torii is unnecessary. I've done quite enough Audio damage in less than a year.  I'd be afraid to add it all up.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4909 - 05/13/14 at 01:42:39

You and me both! I built up my second system before I realized. . . I'm not likely to use it much at all for quite some time to come. So I could have not done that. But then again, I have quality back up everythng! And I have a great system my Dad gets to enjoy as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4910 - 05/13/14 at 13:36:20

The final two discs. Awesome.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4911 - 05/13/14 at 16:16:23

This now.  I know I have a version of this CD somewhere but not sure which so I bought another copy of the RVG edition from Dusty Groove.  I also think I have a complete Dexter Gordon on Blue Note Box put out by Blue Note a long time ago...probably OOP also in an unknown location in my house!  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4912 - 05/13/14 at 18:03:30

Another Dusty Groove purchase from the "Rare Bird"  label...never heard of this label...Both albums in this two CD set were originally on Columbia...

« Last Edit: 05/13/14 at 18:04:42 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4913 - 05/13/14 at 20:05:32

I've been listening to this DVD on you tube...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4914 - 05/14/14 at 01:11:49

Disc 2 of this great set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4915 - 05/14/14 at 17:32:55

Streaming this from spotify through Taboo and Audeze Cans...

« Last Edit: 05/14/14 at 17:34:48 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4916 - 05/14/14 at 19:43:22

This CD next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4917 - 05/14/14 at 21:03:55

Well Lon,  I've unpacked and placed one HR-1, now I have to rest for a while...I may have thrown my back out.  Unpacking the second one will be easier now that I know the secret.  What's the secret. I hear people asking.  There are several clear pieces of tape holding a Styrofoam bottom in place.  Once they are cut and the Styrofoam bottom removed you can right the box and just lift it off the speaker that remains on the floor.

Lon,  why didn't you tell me the secret...hehe.  They are much smaller than I expected from pictures but they are beautiful and I assume will sound just as good eventually.  I'll tackle the second one in a half hour and get down to listening later tonight when I get back home.  Mark.

« Last Edit: 05/14/14 at 21:04:15 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4918 - 05/14/14 at 21:21:32

I did mention the "secret" in the email I sent yesterday I believe.

Yeah, here's what I sent:

Mark, they're very well-packed and a boogger to unpack. I recommend getting them out from the bottom---I turned the boxes upside down, cut the bottom open, cut through the tape on the bottom foam piece, righted it up again and did a lot of shaking etc. I think one of them I had to slit the box to get the whole foampiece exposed.

Glad that at least one is up. It's a bear to get them out, I had a helluva time myself and it aggravated my sciatic nerve as well!

They are going to sound awesome, I would be very surprised if you are not bowled over immediately.

« Last Edit: 05/14/14 at 21:24:53 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4919 - 05/14/14 at 21:30:50

Two of the complex maintenance guys spent about three hours trying to fix my water heater, and then replacing it.

One of the guys when he left said "I would have gotten this done sooner but your system sounds so damned good!" He didn't even look at it, just heard it.

Was playing some Jobim.

The CTI Supreme Blu-Spec version

Inedito (the Brazilian version)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 328 329 330 ... 421
Send Topic Print