Reply #4367 - 03/14/14 at 02:45:53

This LP next...

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4368 - 03/14/14 at 04:40:48

This has been on for a long time.

Then these guys, too.  The guitar player is kind of amazing.  There isn't much of a melody here.  It is more of a player's players band.

And this one.

And this one.

And finally, this gem.

That's about it.  I tend to listen to the same things over and over and over and over.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4369 - 03/14/14 at 19:19:51

Great Tunes Match! I know most of those well (going to check out that last one if I can find a copy this weekend)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4370 - 03/14/14 at 19:41:53

Goddamn these Blu-Spec 2 sound good. I especially like the Spiderman Theme on this one. . . .

Oh wait a minute, this was recorded three years before Spiderman was created. . . let alone the cartoon show aired. . . . I'm confused. Smiley

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4371 - 03/14/14 at 19:45:34

Lon, are the Blue spec 2 CDs "Red Book"? or do they require a specialized player?  Mark.

PS  the smh CDs you've talked about are red book...Right?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4372 - 03/14/14 at 20:03:36

Right, both Blu-Spec and Blu-Spec 2 are Redbook cds, playable in anything that will play a cd.

They are sort of like XRCDs in that there is a process made to master and press the cds that differs from the norm. In the case of the XRCD it's a careful attention to quality at all points in the chain, and they sound really tight and precise. In the case of Blu-Spec and Blu-Spec 2 they use the mastering process used for the making of Blu-ray discs and they claim that this results in a more precise burning of the pits on the surface of the pressing master. I feel the process makes an even bigger difference than on the XRCD, and instead of the tight precision of XRCD sound you get a smooth and spacious sound. I'm impressed with the few dozen I've bought.

SHM-CD is different in that they are pressed on a "super hard material" which is supposed to make the pits more precise and improve the sound. Many that I ahve do indeed sound very good, but it's hard to say why as those I have are new masterings and I can't compare them directly to another of the same mastering but not on the same material disc. With Blu-Spec and Blu-Spec 2 cds that I have I have been able to compare the same mastering on another disc and the improvement, though I don't really see why, is there. Sounds more like SACD or analog tape to me than Redbook normally does.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4373 - 03/14/14 at 21:13:56

Continuing my Kirk kick:

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4374 - 03/14/14 at 22:19:03

Lon I can't get enough of this guy since you posted an album a few days ago.   Wow is he something...just tough to come up with the adjectives to describe him.  I watched a youtube video of him performing in Prague in 67.  Too bad they didn't have a camera on the audience because their faces would've been priceless.

JD

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4375 - 03/14/14 at 22:20:48

Mark curious about how those live Marley records sound? Was close to picking them up as well.

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4376 - 03/14/14 at 23:19:37

JD,  I have only listened to the first LP of three and haven't listened to the two CD version yet. I just looked at it at Amazon....below is a link...and they have it for more than double what I paid...$35 at one of Pop Market's Daily sales recently.  The sound of the first LP was surprisingly good for a Live recording.  You'll find many reviews at Amazon.  Mark.

PS...JD,  I'll listen to the second LP when I get to the Listening Cave at 7pm CST, and report back my opinion of the SQ.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Forever-Stanley-Pittsburgh-September/dp/B004F4HWPS

« Last Edit: 03/14/14 at 23:47:18 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4377 - 03/14/14 at 23:20:09

Hey JD,

The man was a genius, I don't throw that word around lightly but there's no other word for it.

I remember a video from Europe where he was playing with the blind  pianist Tete Monelieu, and wanted the song to stop and Tete kept playing and Kirk was trying to signal him and may have forgotten they were both blind. . . he eventually made his way over to the piano bench and pulled Tete's hands off the keyboard. It was pretty touching and very funny too.

I've been revisiting the Atlantic albums because I used to not like them as much as his Mercury and other earlier work but now in relistening I think the Atlantic sides are just absolutely brilliant! And the new Japanese reissues (which are cheap, not expensive for Japanese releases) sound really good as a bonus.

Right now, listening to this Mosaic set. My parents are big Ella fans but it turns out they have not really ever heard her 'thirties and 'forties work and that I can fix!

« Last Edit: 03/14/14 at 23:20:50 by Lon »  

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4378 - 03/15/14 at 01:43:44

OK JD,  I'm about 3/4 through LP #2 of "Live Forever".  The sound is excellent considering it was not recorded for release but for listening by the band. It was a reel to reel tape from the mixing board.  According to the reviews at Amazon the last couple songs are from an audience recording and thus not as good...the reel to reel tape ran out before the end of the concert.  Kevin Reeves did the mastering from these tapes.  His name sounded familar so I looked at his credits at the All Music Guide and he has done a lot of work...including numerous Jazz recordings including a Sarah Vaughn Box set of Emarcy/Mercury recordings I recently bought.  Also some Mosaic Records Box Sets.  In other words I think he got the best from what he was given.  Mark.

This LP next...

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4379 - 03/15/14 at 02:48:52

Just a little "Sssssnake Farm" tonight.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 292 293 294 ... 394