Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4231 - 02/21/14 at 15:10:09

My sister-in-law is giving me a breather from being at Mom and Dad's this morning.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4232 - 02/21/14 at 15:45:50

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #4233 - 02/21/14 at 18:29:25

HEY that's an awesome Coltrane album there Lon!

Does that version have the song "Dear Lord"? I know it was originally on the "Transition" album on LP but later removed from the CD edition....later appearing on the "Gentle side of Coltrane" album I believe.

But it looks like yours is an import so....maybe it has the song on there? It's.......a very special song to me. It just stirs up so much. I only listen to it about once a year. It's just too potent for me to hear more than that it seems. At least where I'm at right now in life. Maybe that will change eventually and the song will make me feel differently as I continue to change. Isn't it funny how some songs just do something to you that you sometimes can't really explain why?

Lastly, how is the sound quality on that CD version of Transition? I'll hunt down a copy if you feel it's quite good....though I'm long overdue for a copy of that album anyway, good sonics or not Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4234 - 02/21/14 at 18:59:19

HPDJ wrote on 02/21/14 at 18:29:25:
HEY that's an awesome Coltrane album there Lon!

Does that version have the song "Dear Lord"? I know it was originally on the "Transition" album on LP but later removed from the CD edition....later appearing on the "Gentle side of Coltrane" album I believe.

But it looks like yours is an import so....maybe it has the song on there? It's.......a very special song to me. It just stirs up so much. I only listen to it about once a year. It's just too potent for me to hear more than that it seems. At least where I'm at right now in life. Maybe that will change eventually and the song will make me feel differently as I continue to change. Isn't it funny how some songs just do something to you that you sometimes can't really explain why?

Lastly, how is the sound quality on that CD version of Transition? I'll hunt down a copy if you feel it's quite good....though I'm long overdue for a copy of that album anyway, good sonics or not Smiley

Oh yes, Dear Lord is on this. What a beautiful performance.

The sound quality on this one is quite good. This is probably a bit hard to find these days, it's one of the SHM-CD releases, they are limited edition from Japan. The catalog number is UCCI-9202.

I don't know why. . .well I do, but still. .. they removed Dear Lord from the first US cd of this. But there is a new cd release that does have Dear Lord. Amazon has it right now for an amazing price (probably a mistake!)

http://www.amazon.com/Transition-John-Coltrane/dp/B005VR9602/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

« Last Edit: 02/21/14 at 19:03:56 by Lon »  

IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #4235 - 02/21/14 at 19:39:21

Ugh! I just looked for the SHM-CD version on cd japan and it is definitely out of print. I'll do some more digging, but may have to go for the reissue on amazon (2012) that you kindly provided a link for (thanks btw!).....

That price on amazon IS amazing Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4236 - 02/21/14 at 20:02:30

I have that 2012 version in the five cd set "The Complete Impulse Albums Vol. 5." It sounds very similar to the SHM-CD version, though not identical.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4237 - 02/21/14 at 20:47:59

Disc 3. Been listening to this set because I should be getting the Blu-Spec cd version in the mail from Japan any day. I want to see if there's a difference. The difference between Miles Blu-Spec 2 cds I have been listening to lately is quite noticeably positive.

« Last Edit: 02/21/14 at 20:49:16 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4238 - 02/21/14 at 21:58:30

Just in from Japan:

SHM-CD with DSD mastering. Sounds wonderful. . .open, smooth.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4239 - 02/21/14 at 22:13:19

In the Cave for a few hours.  I've warmed up the Tubes and have the TT turning.  Will play some of the 5 LPs just delivered from Dusty Groove.  This first from Art Pepper, recorded September 2nd 1978.  In looking for the cover photo, it appears it has had several different covers and releases.  This is the one I bought which was released in 1981.  How's it sound? Very sweet...excellent.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4240 - 02/21/14 at 22:56:44

This Grammy Award Winning Concord LP now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4241 - 02/22/14 at 00:13:18

I noticed something very odd as I played the prior two LPs...I didn't hear any distortion.  So far no distortion after side one of this LP that previously had a lot of distortion.  The only thing I've changed is I've put in a new quad of NOS Siemans/RTF EL34s and a pair of Nos RCA Tall 5U4GBs in my Torii.  I think it probably was the RCA 5Y3GT rectifiers I was previously using that must have been causing the problem.  In the next few days I'll play other LPs I know I had distortion with, to convince myself the problem is solved. I can live with all the low level hums that are not noticeable while music is playing. The Music's sweet and all's well in the Listening Cave.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4242 - 02/22/14 at 00:46:56

This Pat Metheny LP, "Watercolors", was another that had demonstrated a lot of distortion.  I'm on song #3 of side one with none so far.  This is how it's supposed to be. I had been a little frustrated with not enjoying LPs as much as CDs, after buying a new Rega RP6 and Bees Wax Capped ZP3.  I think I'll go to Mosaic Records and buy the 4 LP Clifford Brown/Max Roach Quintet set now that I know it will sound great.  Mark.

PS...I don't think I'll mess with different tubes for a long time.  I'm happy with things now.  At least until the HR-1s arrive. 

« Last Edit: 02/22/14 at 00:50:28 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4243 - 02/22/14 at 01:11:59

This LP next.  It also had some distortion as I recall.  The Olympics can wait a little longer tonight.  I don't want to leave the Cave!  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4244 - 02/22/14 at 01:31:07

Glad you isolated the problem Mark! And it's now corrected!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 283 284 285 ... 420
Send Topic Print