10/31/14 at 19:03:37

Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 259 260 ... 415
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 395503 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #3855 - 01/11/14 at 14:19:32

Lon,  I've listened to that  Jarrett solo concert and the other that comes in the set, at least twice since I began spinning LPs again the last month or so. In fact I've spun all the late 70's and early 80s solo concerts on Vinyl that I can find in my disorganized and boxed collection.  I still haven't found the massive "Sun Bear Concerts" yet.

I started the morning with a LP chosen at random from this set...LP #5...very nice.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3856 - 01/11/14 at 14:27:06

Quote:
Eric, the sort of difference you are describing between the mysery amp and the Zen amp are just the sort of differences I hear between the modded C amp here in Dad's system and the Toriis I have at home (and more harmonic density and detail yet due to the PS Audio power base I have). So I know how much of a disctinct difference there is and how enjoyable it is.

Thank you for that! I was starting to get worried that I was hyping up the ZMA too much. As you can tell from my first post about it, right out of the box I wasn't exactly gushing - those "fresh" caps were surely holding it back. But what you're saying makes me feel like instead, I'm on the right track.

But now this really makes me question what I thought was good on the old Zen amp! I really think I may have to plug the old Zen in and give it a listen with new perspective.

Taking a quiet morning as I'm still not 100% recovered from being sick this week. Dogs had me up at 8am after listening till 3am last night...

« Last Edit: 01/11/14 at 14:32:58 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3857 - 01/11/14 at 15:07:00

I love that Commodore stuff Mark, as I think I may have mentioned. Smiley I'll look into getting some of the Mosaic lps one of these days, I'm quite happy with my cd and cdr versions (and the non-Mosaic lps I have, though those are hit and miss, a few are fake stereo [Italian] which I loathe with a passion). Right now I don't want to spend megabucks and haven't seen deals like that which you did.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3858 - 01/11/14 at 15:22:46

Eric, I firmly believe from my own experience that there are a few things the little SET amps do better than any of the others, just as there are things the others do better than they can.

I think there's a "solidity," not sure how else to say it, to the sound with the SETs, an integrated holistic oneness that I think of as being due to the fact that the signal is not split and then amplified. And if you can work within the power limitations you can really get connected deep inside the music, it draws you IN. The larger amps though. . . they can really realistically bring the music TO YOU with scale and rock 'em sock 'em dynamic reality, and with Steve's designs he more and more gets that SET oneness out of the push-pull as well as the scale and drive. (The more I understand about the Mystery Amp the more I see how it is a step even further forward in that regard).

I would advise this: don't put the little guy in yet. Wait a month or so til the Mystery amp is that farther along to blooming. I wonder how much longer those huge caps take to seat and bloom compared to the smaller ones? Your little Zen is so seasoned I would wait until the Mystery is more of all it can be.

Question: is there ANY treble attenuation available at all on the amp? I just can't live without the treble cut circuit any longer. If I were ever to get this amp it would probably only be if there was a treble cut circuit.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3859 - 01/11/14 at 15:39:02

Moving response to ZMA thread since I feel it's more useful to future generations there than buried here in the What's Spinning thread.   Grin

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3860 - 01/11/14 at 16:25:45

Now on to record #22....

Lon, your talk of the SET Decware Amp has me thinking I might have to get one eventually.   Might match well with the Zu "Souls". The taboo isn't a SET right?  So it won't achieve what you're talking about?  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3861 - 01/11/14 at 16:54:37

Mark, the Taboo is an SET, if it weren't it would have four output tubes. . . . So you've GOT it! Smiley

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #3862 - 01/11/14 at 17:06:34

dbl 12" 45rpm  .rock on

« Last Edit: 01/11/14 at 17:09:08 by marky »  

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.Benz LP s , Rega P3,RB300 (silver Litz), Rega wall mount, DV 20XL, Nakamichi LX5, M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3863 - 01/11/14 at 17:13:17

So I already have a SET...good to know.  When the HR-1s arrive I'll move the Taboo and Souls to the Den where I spend many days with CNBC on.  That way I can inject a little music into my trading with the sound off on CNBC...might improve my results...hehe.

This LP now...I like this one better than "Stone Flower"...Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3864 - 01/11/14 at 17:35:08

This LP now...

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #3865 - 01/11/14 at 17:38:02

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.Benz LP s , Rega P3,RB300 (silver Litz), Rega wall mount, DV 20XL, Nakamichi LX5, M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3866 - 01/11/14 at 17:38:30

I like Wave a lot, but not better than Stone Flower, but I can see why one would prefer Wave.

I like Tide a lot as well.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3867 - 01/11/14 at 17:47:44

I'm pretty sure I have Tide but haven't found it yet.  It might be in a box in the POD that's been baking in the Texas sun in my driveway  for 2 1/2 years.  That can't be too good for Vinyl. Have to leave now.  Until Later,  Mark.

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #3868 - 01/11/14 at 18:04:08

Smiley look what I`ve found.  When the sun always shone, kaftan's and the tinkle of bells.

7"   floyd

« Last Edit: 01/11/14 at 18:14:34 by marky »  

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #3869 - 01/11/14 at 18:13:17

12"singlle 33 3rd

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 259 260 ... 415
Send Topic Print