Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 358549 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #3315 - 12/14/13 at 03:21:03

Hang in there, Lon, and keep the rubber side down!

I used to have some of those chairs that match the The End Up Sofa. Great, solid stuff.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3316 - 12/14/13 at 05:03:07

Quote:
Lon said,
UGH. I hate that incarnation of Fleetwood Mac. There I said it. Floyd, Mac, and so many more pop/rock bands . . . all these were played to death around me in the 'seventies and my minimal interest in the music just went away never to return.

I can respect that ... for me it's Jazz Fusion/Improve and/or Funk.  I do like the Bossa nova stuff you recommended me though and I like the Old School New Orleans Funeral type stuff too (is that even a genre? Grin).  

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to listen to Bitches Brew (I have it on hi-res 192/24) ... I understand the musicianship is good, but I just can't get into it.

« Last Edit: 12/14/13 at 07:51:07 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3317 - 12/14/13 at 10:57:32

Ha! After I came back from Africa in '71 I couldn't really get into anything I heard on the radio. . . and then at the library I found Bitches Brew and Filles De Kilamanjaro and it was as if I finally found my way home! I've been listening to these since I was 16, and it makes so many other musics sound thin and empty.

So yeah, we're all different, with different reference points.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3318 - 12/14/13 at 13:35:55

Lon,
      Good to hear your a seasoned veteran of Ohio that means your tough. Geauga County can be brutal I have relatives that live there. I don't think I'd like it much dealing with the snow that they do. Here in Medina County we don't get the snow just mostly the cold the mud and grey skies. I work out in it everyday 8-9 hours it will tend to wear you down after a bit always looking forward to summer. I'll bet by now your well on your way to hearing those new speakers. With all of the talk with them I'd love to hear them. Although it may make me want a set. My modified Polks sound awfully good now and I'd be a bit concerned about setting them to the side and spending a lot on new speakers not knowing how much better they really would be. I guess for now I'll sit tight on them and get some of the other things upgraded that I need to do and see.

Spinning Dire Straits- (Love Over Gold) again just dig the song Telegraph Road glad it is a long one.

Gonna go look for some new music today I think. Stay warm and enjoy those new speakers!

Cool

« Last Edit: 12/14/13 at 13:47:17 by Digger »  
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3319 - 12/14/13 at 13:49:04

Lon,  I read about your adventure yesterday. How can you use only a motorcycle in Ohio?  I can almost understand it in Austin. You've survived decades of riding without becoming an organ donor maybe at age 60 you should consider 4 wheels. I enjoy our exchanges and would hate to lose you.  With your HR-1's out of Zigi's work Shop, I hope mine are nearing lift off...haven't heard anything yet.

I looked up the "End Up Sofa", their stuff looks great.  I may replace the sofa in my den with one. But boy are they heavy. What I especially like is if the cushions get worn or dirty or you just want another look...just order a new set from the huge fabric selection.  I'd been eyeing some "Amish" furniture too.  There's a store I drive by on occasion but I've never gone in.

I got more than usual yesterday from Half Price Books and Records...a Live Jean Luc Ponty album, three early Cat Stevens LPs,  Joni Mitchell's "Miles of Aisles", a Traffic LP, an Ella Fitzgerald LP I'd never seen before and a Classical LP of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony. The first LP up today...below...I guess it technically isn't a Traffic LP...huh

I too can't get into "Bitches Brew" but love all Miles prior to that LP.  I may "Get It" yet...I'll continue to try on occasion  It took me a while to really enjoy Miles' Second Great Quintet's albums but it was worth the effort.  Different strokes for different folks...as the saying goes...Mark.

69e1729fd7a0869e175cd010_L__SX300_.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3320 - 12/14/13 at 13:50:11

Yeah Geauga County is rough. I spent a Texas winter working outside installing a waste water treatment plant. In fact I got offered a permanent job (twice the money) rather than working for the temporary company on assignment because the very first morning it was below freezing with some snow on the ground, and I was the only one to show up the first few hours.  .  . on a motorcycle. Job site was 22 miles from my place. I was young and stupid then. Smiley

NO new speakers yet, I didn't have the energy last night and had to (as every morning, without fail) be over here at my parents at 7:30 so I may get a chance to set them up this afternoon if my brother and sister-in-law make it over. here to relieve me a few hours We'll see!

Someday maybe  you can make it out to Westlake to hear the speakers though I confess the rooms here aren't the best, but they'll give you an idea.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3321 - 12/14/13 at 14:15:20

mark58 wrote on 12/14/13 at 13:49:04:
Lon,  I read about your adventure yesterday. How can you use only a motorcycle in Ohio?  I can almost understand it in Austin. You've survived decades of riding without becoming an organ donor maybe at age 60 you should consider 4 wheels. I enjoy our exchanges and would hate to lose you.  With your HR-1's out of Zigi's work Shop, I hope mine are nearing lift off...haven't heard anything yet.

I looked up the "End Up Sofa", their stuff looks great.  I may replace the sofa in my den with one. But boy are they heavy. What I especially like is if the cushions get worn or dirty or you just want another look...just order a new set from the huge fabric selection.  I'd been eyeing some "Amish" furniture too.  There's a store I drive by on occasion but I've never gone in.

I got more than usual yesterday from Half Price Books and Records...a Live Jean Luc Ponty album, three early Cat Stevens LPs,  Joni Mitchell's "Miles of Aisles", a Traffic LP, an Ella Fitzgerald LP I'd never seen before and a Classical LP of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony. The first LP up today...below...I guess it technically isn't a Traffic LP...huh

I too can't get into "Bitches Brew" but love all Miles prior to that LP.  I may "Get It" yet...I'll continue to try on occasion  It took me a while to really enjoy Miles' Second Great Quintet's albums but it was worth the effort.  Different strokes for different folks...as the saying goes...Mark.

Mark, I'd say that's a Traffic album through and through.

I don't like cars. When I need to I drive my Dad's car, an '02 Mitsubishi, perfectly fine car, I take them to the doctor's offices in that, my only real way to get an excursion. But I'd rather walk the 3/4 of a mile to my place and back a few times a day than drive that car when there is snow and ice on the road. And I have over the decades accumlated the gear to ride a motorcycle through almost any weather but icy conditions, and to be honest I relish it, it's exciting and exhilirating and I swear it keeps me healthy.

I expect the new HR-1s to sound wonderful . . . after about 2 to 3 thousand hours. They are rather lean and dry til then, on and off, and they'll be played upstairs in my second system for months before they come down to my main system. I may set up my DAL Audio "Retro" gain-clone amp up in the meantim up there to save on tube life. Smiley That inexpensive little amp sounds "good"--but it's no Torii.

Right now, Mozart from this set, Dad is having a rough morning but Mozart always helps.

614NGhxvhIL.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3322 - 12/14/13 at 14:15:42

This LP next.  The sound is excellent.  I hadn't heard this Symphony in a while...Beethoven's 3rd..."Eroica".  Truly wonderful.  Mark.

51yr99oP0OL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3323 - 12/14/13 at 14:34:03

Mark, 'This End Up" gets my highest endorsement. Just solid, firm, functional, and in my opinion pretty. My parents are enjoying their new one right now. My Mom is even inventing a whle new slew of "rules" so that the couch will look like new forever. . . Seems you can't even think about food while in the living room, let alone eat some.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3324 - 12/14/13 at 14:34:53

Lon,  I found your next set of speakers....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151184966559
I'm just not sure how you fit them on the back of your Motorcycle for the trip back from LA....hehe.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3325 - 12/14/13 at 14:37:20

Mark, I'm not sure those are the speakers for me, I've never really enjoyed the "horn" sound, though I shouldn't prejudge these without hearing them!

That said, with two pairs of HR-1s now and a pair of ERR heading to my parnents, I think only the Decware Open Baffle and the NEW ERR would tempt me. I am that sold on Bob's work.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3326 - 12/14/13 at 14:52:09

Lon, I was only joking, of course.  But seriously, isn't the only difference between the old and new ERR's the protective Cage on top? I'd like to hear those Open Baffle speakers...I get jealous when i read about those with the talent of woodworking talk about building them.  But wouldn't they not be as warm and pleasant as the HR-1's.  I'm hoping the HR-1's added warmth is what I'm looking for compared to the 10" single driver Zu Audio "Souls" I have now.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3327 - 12/14/13 at 15:17:37

This LP next.  This was pretty dirty but no big scratches.  There is a lot of snap crackle pop...maybe too much but no skips so far.  It might be returned if a more thorough cleaning doesn't improve things. But the music is glorious...I may just try to find it on CD.  I just looked on discogs and there is a European import on CD.  The LP I have is the original 1959 Mono version. The cover is near perfect.  Maybe it's worth more than the $6 I paid? What do you think?

This LP has made me think maybe an investment in a professional LP washer is in order....suggestions?  In the meantime what is the best way to clean an LP.  My little disc Washer Brush and fluid ain't cutting it on some of these used LPs owned by others not as fussy as I am. Soap and water...alcohol and water..vinegar? cloth or brush? Mark.
« Last Edit: 12/14/13 at 15:26:50 by mark58 »  

R-1378744-1327631222.jpeg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3328 - 12/14/13 at 15:31:49

Well, what I know of Bob shows me that there are more improvements to the ERR design than just a new assembly for the tweeter.

You're probably right about the "warm" aspects of the Open Baffle, but they have other things going for them, and warmth can be found in other ways. I'm pretty sure I'd love a pair. But I'm set.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3329 - 12/14/13 at 15:34:34

Mark, I don't know how to value LP pressings etc. these days. It may be worth a bit more.

I bought a Spin Clean last year and I've been very happy with it. A bit labor intensive compared to the ones that "suck" but hey, it's another extension of the vinyl ritual which either you like or you don't and if you do, this is not going to be a bother. Works quite well at cleaning records and quieting them down.

http://www.spincleanrecordwasher.com

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 222 223 224 ... 399
Send Topic Print