Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #2835 - 10/25/13 at 14:02:19

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2836 - 10/25/13 at 14:29:29

Quote:
Yes, those tube dampers are special and I'm glad you got to try them out. I bet you'll be keeping them!

I haven't tried the Titanium. Maybe one day.

These were good enough that I think I'm going to pick some up for my guitar amps, and a few for a friend who also has an SE84-A (un-modified) . I have a couple Magnatone combo amps I'm restoring. One is a '58 Magnatone 280 like Buddy Holly's that was caught in a basement flood - and the other is a '62 260A I pulled from someone's trash that looks like it was used by a punk band.  ::)  Herbie's web page says the dampers are really good with Combo amps, and I'd love to hear what it does with these two old guys.

« Last Edit: 10/26/13 at 15:57:14 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2837 - 10/26/13 at 13:13:30

Cool. The one amp I use now (with five others stacked up no longer being used*) is a Bassman TV Fifteen. This is a powerful amp with a 12AX7 in the preamp stage and a Class D amp driving a fifteen inch speaker, and the old "tweed" control set up.

This amp just has the mojo for all my guitars and basses and it brings out the special nature of each instrument. I can't really get at the tube easily and I don't want to mess with anything because this amp has the sound I've wanted for decades. Really surprised me too as I've always loved all tube amps and this one is a hybrid, but it really surprises me every time I play--it has all the tube nature and it just sings. A Halo might help but. . . I'm leaving well enough alone.

* Okay that's not entirely true. I also have a Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight SE plugged in that sees occasional use upstairs in the bedroom. I used to use an amp in the bedroom often, but now that I spend most of the time at my parents, I don't. This is an all solid state amp that surprises me by having a nice clean warm sound. Mine is a prototype that does not have the second (distortion) channel nor does it have the built in effects, just one squeaky clean channel. Haven't used this that much but really like it when I do, it is great for my Jazzmaster guitar and my warmest Strats (a Warmoth built Korina body with Wenge neck, and a Fender American Deluxe Mahagany Strat).

And my Fender '59 Bassman LTD Reissue amp blew a fuse that I haven't gone into and replaced yet, and when I do I'll probably set it up. . . somewhere. Sigh. Wish I had more room and more time.

« Last Edit: 10/26/13 at 14:15:02 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2838 - 10/26/13 at 16:03:17

Yeah, I have the *pile of guitar amps* I don't play much from my heavy metal days. LOL  I almost picked up one of those Bassman TV Fifteens once. But the circuit looked so simplistic I figured I'd just clone it. I have a Tweed Champ I built from scratch using 100+ year old wood and gave to my Dad, and a Blackface Champ I saw someone gutted and selling the parts on eBay - I bought as much of it as I could win and started reassembling back into an amp!  ::)

Anywho, we could guitar chat in our own thread, the tube dampers got me off track, sorry guys.

So I'm playing this right now, and it honestly sounds terrible. I must have a bad CD pressing, or maybe just hearing the limitations of the original recordings. But seriously, yuck.  :-[

« Last Edit: 10/26/13 at 16:04:48 by Lonely Raven »  
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2839 - 10/26/13 at 16:14:31

Just popped this in after S&G Greatest Hits - I've not listened to this album since the '80s - I got a vinyl rip from a friend. Sounds OK - but I have an ear-to-ear grin remembering how fun/silly this movie and enjoyable the soundtrack is. *This* is what all movie soundtracks should be like!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2840 - 10/26/13 at 16:46:28

Well, I don't build well enough to clone one of these amps, and when I have built something in the distant past I always wondered "does it really sound the same?" Wink So I bought this one. I love it. I might eventually pick up another in the series but they're hard to find these days. . . may go for a Dual Ten.

A friend of mine used to have a tweed Champ. Nice guitar but I prefer larger amps.

Right now

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2841 - 10/26/13 at 17:47:04

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2842 - 10/27/13 at 13:34:31

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2843 - 10/27/13 at 17:56:46

Lon, sometimes our taste in music is so similar it's scary.  The Paul Desmond LPs you've listed recently are all in an RCA box set of  Paul Desmond with Jim Hall that I listened to a few months back. I'm also an Ella Addict...the list goes on forever. This morning as I read on the computer I've listened to the below concert from the group E.S.T. that I find more amazing each time I listen to them.  Unfortunately the pianist died several years ago. Enjoy, Mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gXhwv9_ZS0

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #2844 - 10/27/13 at 18:10:12

I just listened to that E.S. T. clip.   It's really  great music:)

Thanks Mark!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2845 - 10/27/13 at 18:14:18

Yes, those guys can play.

I have the Desmond on that RCA set, on a Mosaic set, on the new Columbia / RCA set (not needed if you have the RCA set) and several of the albums on LP. I guess I like them.

Not surprised we have similar tastes. Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2846 - 10/27/13 at 18:15:55

Mike,  you couldn't have listened to it all.  It's an hour and 13 minutes long.  Make sure you started from the beginning...I wouldn't want you to miss a note.  Mark.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #2847 - 10/27/13 at 22:08:18

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2848 - 10/28/13 at 13:48:54

A very young Bill Evans.

Listening to discs from the Bill Evans Complete Riverside Recording box set. Just love this music. Listened to two discs before heading over to my parents, and will try to listen to a few more (as many as they can stand). It's been too long since I had a big Bill Evans kick, it's overdue.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2849 - 10/28/13 at 14:26:29

Lon,  I'm a huge Bill Evans fan.  I've got all the boxes and pretty much everything else.  The reissued 3 CD remasters of the Village Vanguard recordings lived in my car for over two years...I never could bring myself to take them out.  But last night I listened to the first CD of this Mosaic Records Box set.... Verve/Philips Dizzy Gillespie Small Group Sessions.  Very tasty.  And yes Lon, I too am a Mosaic Records junkie.  Mark.

PS...for those not familiar with Bill, listen to this and tell me your heart doesn't melt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shIc0iaFW7Q

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 190 191 192 ... 316
Send Topic Print