Apparently I have a thing for female vocals.  :P

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #2746 - 09/15/13 at 20:59:57

So, my fiance and I swung by the local Goodwill looking for some clothes that will be torn up for a Zombie 5k run she's doing, and I found this box of classical CDs. I don't know classical music very well, so I admit I randomly grabbed anything that looked good (no way to sample CDs there). While digging around I found this disc, and I honestly bought it on a whim because I couldn't figure out what genre it is by looking at the front and back covers. This CD is GREAT!

Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals - "Burn to Shine".

I'm so glad I picked up this disc. With this one, and the 25 other discs (random classical) I picked up, I think I spent $27 total. What a great find!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2747 - 09/17/13 at 16:20:50

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2748 - 09/18/13 at 16:29:03

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2749 - 09/19/13 at 12:45:37

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2750 - 09/19/13 at 16:04:25

Had this playing on the system while I was working in the basement building computers for side monies (still saving up for Torii MK IV)
This was another Goodwill purchase for $1

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2751 - 09/20/13 at 05:40:58

Still Rock'n this one Lon ... I can just loop this through JRiver MC 18 for hours ... my favorite song keeps changing as well ... right now it happens to be Significant Other, but yesterday it was No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun. Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2752 - 09/20/13 at 13:24:20

Yeah, this is my favorite work of Wilson's, no matter what bands he's also been in. I also really love the remixed version:

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2753 - 09/20/13 at 13:25:21

Right now

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2754 - 09/20/13 at 15:46:36

Thanks Beo and Lon, I'm putting that one in my cart.

Any other Steven Wilson discs I should look into? I like the samples I'm hearing on this one.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2755 - 09/20/13 at 16:07:53

This one is sort of unique in that he never quite did one like this one before or after.

He is the leader/catalyst of a number of other bands, the most famous of which is Porcupine Tree. I do like their albums from Signify and beyond, before that they were too "Pink Floyd Trippy" for me (I'm really not a Pink Floyd fan, or was one in the 'seventies but the music hasn't remained a favorite of mine.)

Porcupine Tree have two excellent DVD and Blu-ray concert films I recommend:

DVD

Available both as DVD and Blu-ray

If you're a Prog fan (I'm not really) the following Steve Wilson titles are good and can be purchased as CDs or as DVD or Blu-ray releases:

This is a great Steven Wilson concert film on DVD or Blu-ray, Get all You Deserve:

And here is a live cd compilation of Insurgentes era shows, Catalogue/Preservation:

« Last Edit: 09/20/13 at 16:08:52 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2756 - 09/20/13 at 16:12:49

Steven Wilson also produced the two best (in my opinion) albums by the Swedish band Opeth, "Damnation" and "Deliverance." I love these albums.

This led to a joint album with Mikael Akefeldt the leader of Opeth that is a very interesting album, sort of ambient and moody rock:

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2757 - 09/20/13 at 17:46:28

I really like Opeth! I'll have to pick up those albums if I don't have them already!

I just ordered Insurgent and the Raven Blu-Ray off Amazon. Thanks for the leads! I love finding great music from others recommendations. It's like discovering new worlds.  :o

I watched a couple Porcupine Tree videos on you tube...I totally see the Pink Floyd vibe...great sound, but not my thing as well. Somewhat in that vein, I lean more towards the Portishead or Sneakerpimps "Becoming X" sound.

« Last Edit: 09/20/13 at 17:48:33 by Lonely Raven »  
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2758 - 09/20/13 at 23:19:28

Thanks Lon for the other recommendations.  I picked up an EP from Porcupine Tree called  Waiting.  I found it in the record bin as an import from the UK.  I don't see it on Amazon or I would post a picture of it ... they do have the songs as a download, just not the album.

It has Waiting Phase 1, Waiting Phase 2, Colour Flow In Mind and Fuse The Sky.  It is excellent and almost seems like it could fit in as tracks from Insurgentes.

I would also like to suggest Tame Impala as newer band coming out that has a lot of the Steven Wilson vibe.  The album I picked up is called Lonerism and they have a song getting a lot of airplay here in San Diego called Elephant.  The first thing you will notice when you listen the these guys is that the lead singer sounds so much like John Lennon that the song Elephant has you thinking it was a lost track off of the Magical Mystery Tour album Cool

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2759 - 09/21/13 at 19:32:40

I've heard some good reviews of Tame Impala. It's on my want list to check out.  ALT-J is another in a similar style.

Here is what's spinning now. Long CD, and really great if you don't mind 100% digital music.

« Last Edit: 09/21/13 at 19:41:25 by Lonely Raven »  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 ... 315
Send Topic Print