Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #2491 - 03/30/13 at 19:56:27

Quote:
Lon,
b, recommend me one Radiohead and one Clinic please. I've only heard a little. Thanks.

Hi Lon, glad to do so ...

Radiohead:

"OK Computer" is probably one of their best acclaimed albums and ranked as 162 on Rolling Stone Magazine's top 500 albums of all times.  Awesome album with the songs "Lucky", "Karma Police" and "The Tourist" as a few of my favorites on that album.

"Kid A" is another excellent album, with "Everything in its Right Place" and "Optimistic" (one of my all time favorites songs from them).

"The Bends" is the album that kind of set the tone for OK Computer.  Some good tracks on this album are "Fake Plastic Trees", "Bullet Proof I Wish I Was" and "My Iron Lung".

Clinic:

These guys are a quirky band from Liverpool and are often seen wearing full on scrubs and surgical masks (looking like, of course, doctors that work in a "Clinic").  They often use vintage keyboards, most notably the Philips Philicorda, Melodica and peculiar off-scale chord progressions.

"Walking With Thee" is one of my favs from them and I think this album will give you a good feel for their style.  Some stand out tracks are Harmony, "Come Into Our Room" and Walking With Thee".

« Last Edit: 03/30/13 at 20:02:12 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
grinnell

Reply #2492 - 03/30/13 at 21:39:23

My standard reference lp for checking changes.  just switched in VA 350b tubes
« Last Edit: 03/30/13 at 21:41:06 by grinnell »  

FrankZappa_2_001.JPG

MT w/ 1940's RCA 6v6g st
Ref 3A de Capos
VPI HW-19 mk iv
Mac Tuna MR-67
MH 25.2 CDP
  IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #2493 - 03/31/13 at 00:00:59

Hey Lon,

Beowulf gave some GREAT suggestions on Radiohead albums to try.....I'm a HUGE fan of theirs and it would be pretty tough for me to recommend just one album of theirs to start of with........but I'll try anyway haha. I guess it would be OK COMPUTER (but you can't really go wrong with any of them besides maybe the first album which used a different producer than all the rest).

It was the fist of their albums that I heard in it's entirety and it really is a masterpiece. If you haven't done so already, I'm sure you could search around the web for what folks have been saying about this album since it's release...but ONE of the things I feel (without writing an essay here!) is that they really masterfully blend electronic sounds with acoustic sounds. Digital sounding beats and tones (at times) with fantastic sounding guitars and electric bass and deep full drums. Sometimes just simple acoustic guitars, sometimes lots of sounds frantically emanating from your speakers!

The drums are tuned pretty differently on each track and I love that. The lyrics are cryptic and sung with such passion from Mr. Tom Yorke. His vocals are just stellar! If they are a band you start to dig, (with whatever album you start off with) it will be super fun for you to start exploring their catalog! That's what happened with me and Led Zeppelin years ago. With them I started from their first and went all the way to their last album. What a roller coaster ride that was! Radiohead would give you a real roller coaster ride as well for sure! And the best part is they are still active and not resting on their laurels! And some of the individual members have side projects (I'm currently listening to the brand new album Atoms for Peace, by AMOK...a super group with Tom Yorke singing lead and playing guitar).

Anyway, enjoy! Oh also, Radiohead's music is recorded really well so it should sounds fantastic on your rig! You could even try the vinyl versions of some albums. And beowulk, I'll have to check out Clinic some time...I don't know their stuff. SO MUCH music to take in, I love it! Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2494 - 03/31/13 at 00:41:31

b and H, thanks. I'll check out one of each. I'm not that much into rock these days but a few bands have caught my ear. What I love about Insurgentes is that heavy metal vibe and like Steve Wilson I'm a fan of Opeth, whose music alternates from dark heavy to beautiful lyricism.

May take me a little time, I'm three weeks away from complete uprooting and am packing away (have to finish packing a POD tomorrow to be picked up Monday, and then preparing the rest to go in a UHAUL a friend I are going to dreive). I wish I could just kick back and listen to music!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2495 - 03/31/13 at 01:13:37

Although both bands can probably fall under the Rock label, it would be hard to sum them up that way.  Definitely not in the straight Nirvana or Aerosmith sense.

Quote:
HPDJ,

... they really masterfully blend electronic sounds with acoustic sounds. Digital sounding beats and tones (at times) with fantastic sounding guitars and electric bass and deep full drums.

I think this is an excellent description of Radiohead and have to agree that their albums are superbly produced.

Clinic is almost certainly more like Radiohead rather than Aerosmith in the genre sense as well, but with their own spin ... they have an almost electronic/techno jazz type feel, but also dark and dememted sound (almost a Halloween Horror movie type driving beat - i.e. "Harmony" and "Come Into Our Room" are good examples).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2496 - 03/31/13 at 14:50:14

To someone who isn't a listener to the radio and most popular American music produced in the nineties and this century I'd call this "rock." Smiley

I'll give them a chance. Ordered OK Computer and Walking with Thee.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2497 - 03/31/13 at 17:12:41

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2498 - 03/31/13 at 18:43:59

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #2499 - 03/31/13 at 19:30:16

Hey Lon,

I hear ya...I can see why you would consider them rock...music genres are a tricky thing though aren't they?

If a group that is considered rock makes an album or a song that diverts from the basic tenets of rock music, does this then make this group Non-rock?? This is really more of a general question I'm posing, not specifically aimed at Radiohead..

I think Radiohead tends to get lumpd into the Prog Rock realm.....I THINK (or maybe actually alternative rock??)! I sort of don't think about what genre they fall into anymore because they dable in so many things...lots of influences really. When I think of Prog rock I tend to think of YES and King Crimson and Radiohead is not like those groups really. But their rock tendancies are supplimented by sounds not usually associated with "pure" "traditional" Rock (what I consider groups like Aerosmith, The Who, The Rolling Stones etc). Radiohead's music has strings and electronica noises, blatent distortions that are not from a guitar etc (some of the groups I'm considering "pure" rock have some of these sounds as well so.....yeah). In this sense I feel like Radiohead is progressing the rock or "pure" rock sound and could be considered Prog Rock.....or an alternative to "pure" rock (Alternative rock)..

Whatever genre one considers them, I do love their music Smiley

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2500 - 03/31/13 at 22:10:42

Quote:
Lon,
I'll give them a chance. Ordered OK Computer and Walking with Thee.

Awesome Lon, let us know what you think after giving some time for your ears to digest them ... Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2501 - 04/01/13 at 01:09:54

H, the same thing goes on in the world of jazz, there are all sorts of music called "jazz" that I don't really think are very jazzy at all. And there have been arguments about "what is jazz" since the thirties and forties when swing and bebop came along, "moldy figues" would argue only the collective improvisational jazz of New Orleans vintage is really jazz. (Just as there were those who felt that rock was what Presley and Lewis and Perkins did, not that Mersey Beat or later hard rock or. . . .

When I step outside the rock listening world (which I did for the most part in the late eighties and through the nineties) then I see the common similarity across the board in rock and pop, within it one sees lots of little camps and tributaries spin out of the rock river. Same when you are deep inside the jazz world, how can Sidney Bechet and Hans Bennick both be jazz?

I was painfully aware of the basic nature of rock when I was playing in a band that the leader felt was "blues." He started a song, and I played a blues shuffle on the drums beneath him and he stopped and said "what was that?" I played a straight rock beat and he was happy. . . .

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2502 - 04/01/13 at 01:43:33

Hi Lon and HPDJ, nice analogies and I am in complete agreement ...

Lon, Speaking of Jazz ... You need to listen to this Radiohead song called "Life In A Glass House" on the Amnesiac album.  It features the Humphrey Lyttelton Band. After listening to a demo of the song, trumpeter and bandleader Humphrey Lyttelton suggested arranging it in the style of a New Orleans jazz funeral.

When I first heard my ears weren't really tuned to that style of music, so it I didn't like it and thought it was just kind of chaotic, but after a few repeated listenings, it really clicked and turned out to be one of my favorite songs on the album.  I wouldn't say it's really a repeat theme within their catalog, but pretty cool none the less.

« Last Edit: 04/01/13 at 01:48:55 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #2503 - 04/01/13 at 02:30:23

Yes Beowulf! Isn't it fascinating how our ears need time to adjust to certain songs/types of music sometimes?? I'm a big believer in there being a "right" time to take in certain artists or kinds of music....at least for me that's the way it is. I have a good sense of what I want to listen to at a particular time...I have a whole section of my CD library that I have had for years and haven't listened to yet because I feel I'm "not ready" or open to those albums yet. Every now and then I'll pick a CD from that shelf and finally give it it's time to work it's magic on me...Some of those albums are from my favorite artists! But I kinda take it one album at a time in a slower (than what's considered normal) way....

I may actually start a thread about my listening ritual....I'd love to read about how others take in their music. I know I'm VERY particular about how/when I take things in. This has it's pluses and minuses (for me). I take in less music with my method of listening, but once I'm done with an album I really feel like I know it inside and out and I feel like it's leaving a marker for the time period that I'm listening to it in....I'll explain more in a new thread soon Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2504 - 04/01/13 at 03:25:27

Humphrey Littleton was a major force in trad jazz in the British scene of the fifties. I think he had three arranging styles, all New Orleans like in nature. Smiley

I'll probably get to that.

As for listening processes. . . I turn on the amp in the morning and it runs all day. I generally don't have a plan. I keep my collection in chaos and fish around in it for the daily catch many days. I know vaguely where things are, but I look for one thing and find several others, and follow one "vein" at times or make exploratory digs here and there and back again another. Years ago I was plagued with what I saw as the perfectionism that plagues part of my family. I fought back hard and not alphabetizing etc. is a part of combating that and works for me. Of late I've been working on a limited stash as I packed over 90 percent of my recordings. Oy my aching back. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 ... 402
Send Topic Print