Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: My Zbox Evolution.
Reply #15 - 03/13/09 at 10:55:56

I definitely see the advantages, and they range from convenience to fewer problems with space. (Try housing 15000 cds! I'm trying to!)

In my case it's more that. . . computers represent a large enough portion of my life, and they represent work and joy.  I like to be free of them for many of my strengthening and pleasure pursuits, and not centering my music listening on them achieves that.  If I were younger, I'd probably be less inclined to make that distinction; computers entered my life slowly twenty years ago, more intensely about fifteen years ago, were totally stangers to me before that (and I'm 53).

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
grobinso
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: My Zbox Evolution.  a small update
Reply #16 - 05/12/09 at 05:39:47

Well on the advice of some here to pair the zbox with 12bh7's and give them a listen, I have done just that.  While the tubeman wanted to only sell me a pair of the cryo'd RCA's,  I ended up grabbing a cornucopia of tubes 8 in all for about $30 off of ebay.  Unlablelled but all of different internals, I'v been auditioning a few to make some notes and comparisons....

In general I'm liking the tube and what it is doing with the zbox.  I find detail to be more solid and palpable and the sense of solidity to be very present.  I'm wondering if the mids are being sucked out a bit...  Regardless I"m having some fun with the zbox and I have been engaged once again.....

Cheers for now!
Grant

« Last Edit: 05/12/09 at 05:40:38 by grobinso »  
  IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #17 - 07/14/09 at 06:36:18

OK, well, my zbox was offline for around a week, and it sucked. Truly awful to be without.

I thought the issue was more complicated, but it turned out to be a simple problem with a short in the power strip.

Yes, love the 12BH7's.

I still can't believe anyone can listen to a cd player without it.

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
grobinso
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 07/14/09 at 14:06:59

Oops.....  well irony being what it is,  I ended up selling the zbox and while I miss the soundstaging, I also found the music just slowed down too much I picked up a MAC palladium cable and a nice siemens and halske 6922..  
to console myself....

Man, it's a journey...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 07/14/09 at 16:37:40

Yeah, I found myself tiring of the sound too and my current source sounds great great great without the ZBox; I'm currently using the ZBox to warm up the signal coming out of my TV in the bedroom and going into the Peachtree Audio Decco hybrid integrated.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print