10/23/14 at 19:45:27

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Speaker cables? (Read 17640 times)
76doublebass
Verified Member

Speaker cables?
01/19/09 at 08:00:56

Where are any posts on Steve's speaker cables? Has anyone tried them out?
Don C.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Speaker cables?
Reply #1 - 02/08/09 at 02:03:25

Apparently anyone who has tried them out isn't posting!

I've always wondered. . . I finally found speaker cables I loved right before he introduced them so I've never tried them . . . .

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2 - 03/06/09 at 15:26:08

Okay, in my final spurt of buying for a while (new speakers x 2, new amp, new source!) I ordered a pair of these to try.  Will have them likely the end of next week. Smiley

PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3 - 03/14/09 at 16:20:52

Well, I received the Zen Styx yesterday.  It's probably silly to talk of these so early on, with only about 15 hours of play on them, but. . . .

Wow, these are not in any way or shape "harsh" or "thin."  These have wonderful light within them, silky and smooth.  They're very very "quick."

I know it will take some time for these to open up and be all that they can be.  I hope they develop a bit more heft and bass weight. . . I really hope they do, that's the one area they are at present deficient.  Beautiful sound that needs that lower presence.

My whole stereo is so changing. . . I took all the Decware front end and amplification products out for a while while I wait for the EL34I.2, and I will have new Radials soon, and I'm using a new Sony SACD source (very very nice player, wow) and so I have a lot of "new things" all brewing together at once.  Great sound, altogether, that will be in flux for a month or so, but it's fun, I'm enjoying the difference and the transition.  I needed one!

I'll write more about these cables in the weeks to come. But initial impressions are very favorable.

IP Logged
DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/15/09 at 14:37:33

"Final spurt of buying", yea, right!  Talk about reinventing the wheel. Wink

I alternate between Zen Styx and Kimber wire.  As always, the Decware product is better.

dennis

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #5 - 03/15/09 at 15:10:56

Dennis,

Did you find the Styx "heften" up a bit, give better bass response, after some long hours?  Thanks.

IP Logged
DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/15/09 at 15:50:36

Hey Lon,

The short answer (to these ears) is yes.  I have a set of horn speakers that are notorious for their lack of bass.  The lower registers are well defined, I think.

dennis

« Last Edit: 03/15/09 at 15:54:12 by DPC »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #7 - 03/15/09 at 16:26:49

Thanks Dennis. Was this an evolving thing, or there from the start of use of the speakers?

I find they need improvement in that area now, in my system.

« Last Edit: 03/15/09 at 16:27:44 by Lon »  

IP Logged
DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/16/09 at 04:17:34

Lon, I understand your issues here.  Regretfully, my experience with the speaker wires would not relate to your question.  You see, I have used them with many different speakers.   The horns are relatively new to the mix.   The Styx were first used with RL3's and I was not happy with the bass performance.  The Radials were replaced with 15" OB's and many others for short periods.

Honest, I am not nuts, just fortunate enough to be in possession of some fairly good speakers (my hobby).

When all is said and done the music is what I enjoy!

dennis

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #9 - 03/16/09 at 14:27:36

Dennis,

Never for a minute did I think you were nuts!  :)  I would say the bass performance is the thing that I like least of all about the RL2s, and so I can understand that.  I've been experimenting with room placement once again and I have to say that I love this speaker wire, and only wish for a bit more bass presence (the previous speaker wire had it, PS Audio XStream Statement). . . . It will likely arrive with time; their sister interconnects took time to bloom.  Also the wires may behave totally differently with the new Radials that will arrive in the future.

Thanks for your help!

« Last Edit: 03/16/09 at 14:29:18 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #10 - 03/18/09 at 11:17:33

Okay, two things:

* I reinstalled the Decware ZBox, CSP2 and SE34 Monoblocks in the system.  Hum is much minimized without the ZCD in the system.  Sound is really really good with my new Sony SACD player.

* The Styx sound oh so good with the tube amps and the bass is blossoming. These cables have a wonderful tonal clarity to them.  Why didn't I order these long ago?  They solve some of my treble problems in one fell swoop.  If they heften up just a bit more they'll be like Goldilock's porrige for me.  I'm sure they'll be awesome with the E34I.2.

IP Logged
DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/18/09 at 11:59:50

Old Fool screws up, big time.  Major construction in listening room, a speaker falls over, both WBT banana plugs broke. Cry

Bet this ain't gonna be cheap to fix.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #12 - 03/18/09 at 14:50:52

Ooh, that's a drag. . . I did that a year ago with my PS Audio XStream Statement cables.  Luckily those have screw-on tips and PS Audio sent me replacement ones in a big jiffy, no charge.

On the Styx, I ordered them unterminated and am going with Audioquest bananas (screw tightened). . .not as expensive, easy to do onself.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #13 - 03/22/09 at 14:24:40

These speaker cables continue to impress!

The treble is free of a tiny bit of harshness I always faced with other cables.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #14 - 03/30/09 at 00:06:43

It's been two weeks of heavy use, and I think that these speakers are probably "broken in."

To be honest, I'd love to have more bass.  But to also be honest, I think these speakers are giving me what I have, accurately and very congenially.  The treble is as good as I have ever heard it in this system.  And the midrange is very open and vivid.  There's no harshness and no congestion.  These are remarkable cables.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print